Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 AM

23,568 posts, read 17,245,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why is a person killed by suicide a better stat than a person killed by street violence? I guess that's where I'm getting confused. If a gun was a driving factor in there being a violent, senseless death, regardless of how it happened, a gun was a driving factor for a violent, senseless death. The loved ones left behind are just as traumatized.

Obviously, when poverty is concentrated in an urban area it's incomparable to Montana or Alaska, where poverty is dispersed. Concentrating poverty in a small area is not a good policy; many cities are tearing down "projects" and integrating public housing into market-rate housing. Not without its issues, but it's much improved.
A suicide is preferntial to some thug killing an innocent person who does not wish to be dead.

"In 2013, the highest suicide rate (19.1) was among people 45 to 64 years old. The second highest rate (18.6) occurred in those 85 years and older. Younger groups have had consistently lower suicide rates than middle-aged and older adults. In 2013, adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 24 had a suicide rate of 10.9 "

About 51% use guns, next most popular is hanging. A suicidal person would not be deterred by a not having access to a firearm.

"In 2013, the highest U.S. suicide rate (14.2) was among Whites and the second highest rate (11.7) was among American Indians and Alaska Natives (Figure 5). Much lower and roughly similar rates were found among Asians and Pacific Islanders (5.8), Blacks (5.4) and Hispanics (5.7)."

Libs are pushing for legal suicide so why are they crying about people who choose to commit suicide?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
A suicide is preferntial to some thug killing an innocent person who does not wish to be dead.

"In 2013, the highest suicide rate (19.1) was among people 45 to 64 years old. The second highest rate (18.6) occurred in those 85 years and older. Younger groups have had consistently lower suicide rates than middle-aged and older adults. In 2013, adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 24 had a suicide rate of 10.9 "

About 51% use guns, next most popular is hanging. A suicidal person would not be deterred by a not having access to a firearm.

"In 2013, the highest U.S. suicide rate (14.2) was among Whites and the second highest rate (11.7) was among American Indians and Alaska Natives (Figure 5). Much lower and roughly similar rates were found among Asians and Pacific Islanders (5.8), Blacks (5.4) and Hispanics (5.7)."

Libs are pushing for legal suicide so why are they crying about people who choose to commit suicide?
Let's not reduce this to simplistic partisanship. I totally agree it's worse, like those thugs who keep shooting up movie theaters - recently again in Louisiana - and classrooms full of kids. Guys like that could care less if someone has a gun there and kills them or they kill themselves after their carnage is complete. They come from a broken culture that breeds thugs and we can agree that culture must change.

But, speaking for pure statistics, suicide is still "gun violence". An accidental discharge that shoots someone in the head is still "gun violence", even if the motivations are different.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:40 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Why do I feel more safer in my red state than a Blue hell hole city where crime is sky high ?

They should really look not at states but at the cities and people in those cities.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Nope! The majority, if not all of them, are red states.

10 States With The Most Gun Violence

Despite Donald Trump blaming Immigrants..... States populated by whites majority have the top 9 gun violence.
Demographics provided by: State and County QuickFacts

States with highest gun violence / Demographics

10. Tennessee - 81% White / 2% Hispanics population
9. New Mexico - 39% White / 47% Hispanics
8. Oklahoma - 67% White / 9.6% Hispanics
7. Wyoming - 84% White / 9.7% Hispanics
6. Arkansas - 73% White / 6.9% Hispanics
5. Montana - 87% White / 3% Hispanics
4. Alabama - 66% White / 4% Hispanics
3. Mississippi - 57% White / 3% Hispanics
2. Louisiana - 60% White / 5% Hispanics
1. Alaska - 62% White / 7% Hispanics

California, which isn't even in the Top 10 in Gun Violence or "Most Dangerous State" has a demographic of: 39% White / 38% Hispanics
Note Illinois ( 78%) white is not in the top ten, despite the gun violence in certain pockets of Chicago.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Are these also the states with the most guns? Sacre bleu, who would have thought??
Top 5 states:

Idaho
West Virginia
Wyoming *
Montana *
Alaska *

* appears on the original list

Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why do I feel more safer in my red state than a Blue hell hole city where crime is sky high ?

They should really look not at states but at the cities and people in those cities.
That's like asking why do you feel safer from violence in the Australian Outback than you do in London.
Well, because there are a lot more people in London. It's not really a useful comparison.

American cities have actually seen violent crime rates plummet in the past 10-15 years. There's been a lot of new investment in them and influx of new residents from suburbs. Even Baltimore, which many who've only seen it from the news, actually has all sorts of new investment and exciting neighborhoods, with colleges like Johns Hopkins and MICA (art school) among many others. For all of Detroit's issues, crime rates in downtown and midtown are lower than most cities. Chicago is one of the nicest cities in the country with pockets of intense gang violence far removed from the central city.

So, it really depends on where you look within a city. It gets very nuanced.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Nope! The majority, if not all of them, are red states.

10 States With The Most Gun Violence

Despite Donald Trump blaming Immigrants..... States populated by whites majority have the top 9 gun violence.
Demographics provided by: State and County QuickFacts

States with highest gun violence / Demographics

10. Tennessee 81% White / 2% Hispanics population
9. New Mexico - 39% White / 47% Hispanics
8. Oklahoma - 67% White / 9.6% Hispanics
7. Wyoming - 84% White / 9.7% Hispanics
6. Arkansas - 73% White / 6.9% Hispanics
5. Montana - 87% White / 3% Hispanics
4. Alabama - 66% White / 4% Hispanics
3. Mississippi - 57% White / 3% Hispanics
2. Louisiana - 60% White / 5% Hispanics
1. Alaska - 62% White / 7% Hispanics

California, which isn't even in the Top 10 in Gun Violence or "Most Dangerous State" has a demographic of: 39% White / 38% Hispanics
Something tells me the majority black ghetto cities in those states account for much of the violence. Memphis TN, New Orleans LA, Little Rock AR, etc.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:34 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
I see your point but your second point isn't entirely true. Guns accidentally discharge all the time. My close friends saw a young man shot in the head and killed by a gun that accidentally discharged right in a home. Heck, I had a gun accidentally discharge on me just loading it with other people around. Obviously I didn't have the barrel pointed at them, but it woke me up as to how quickly you can send a bullet going without meaning to.

So, no, they didn't jump off the shelf and start firing but they did just start firing without any intention by the user. And when suicides are 3 times more likely when a gun is accessible, it does put more weight of blame on the gun itself, even with the adage "people kill people".

Again, I'm all for people having the right to bear arms with sensible regulations (some cities go way too far). I'm just talking the risk that comes with it, as the stats show homes with guns increase the risk of being shot - whether by accident, by inducing suicide, or by having the gun maliciously used against a family member.
Guns don't accidentally discharge, poor gun handling and not following the guy handling rules, cause guns to discharge. That is why it is described as a negligent discharge.

A true accidental discharge would be from a gun malfunction. The majority of guns have multiple safety feature to prevent that from happening.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,791 times
By including suicide into "gun violence" statistics, they're greatly skewing the data so they have a nice, juicy headline for the average HuffPo reader. Its completely disingenuous.

If you look at the list of suicide rate by state, the higher rates are mostly low population states (which are mostly red) and the lower rates are high population states (which are mostly blue). The rate is calculated as number of suicides per 100,000 people; states like Wyoming and Alaska only have 600-700k total populations, so a suicide in one of those low population states skews the rate WAY more than a suicide in a highly populated state. Nationally, suicides account for about 2/3 of gun related deaths. In Alaska, Montana and Wyoming, suicide accounts for 80% of gun deaths simply because their low population gives far more weight to a suicide than in states with 25 million+ people.

But manipulating statistics is an effective tool the Left uses to manipulate people. Like the 'gender wage gap' that uses a blanket comparison of all workers, while throwing out things like total hours worked per week, lapses in employment, and fields of employment. Or the '1 in 5' rape statistic they manufactured by drastically expanding what they consider rape, like having regret the next day or sex while intoxicated.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:16 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Availability of a gun makes suicide easier, many after a failed attempt to take their life move on with a gun the chances decrease. But even after removing suicide I would expect that the same states remain on top.
not necessarily, but then again remember that the statistics have been skewed because the suicides were included. before you can make any assessments, the suicides have to removed first along with all the other non gun related violent crimes, to get to the real gun related statistics.

Quote:
I see your point but your second point isn't entirely true. Guns accidentally discharge all the time. My close friends saw a young man shot in the head and killed by a gun that accidentally discharged right in a home. Heck, I had a gun accidentally discharge on me just loading it with other people around. Obviously I didn't have the barrel pointed at them, but it woke me up as to how quickly you can send a bullet going without meaning to.

So, no, they didn't jump off the shelf and start firing but they did just start firing without any intention by the user. And when suicides are 3 times more likely when a gun is accessible, it does put more weight of blame on the gun itself, even with the adage "people kill people".

Again, I'm all for people having the right to bear arms with sensible regulations (some cities go way too far). I'm just talking the risk that comes with it, as the stats show homes with guns increase the risk of being shot - whether by accident, by inducing suicide, or by having the gun maliciously used against a family member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Guns don't accidentally discharge, poor gun handling and not following the guy handling rules, cause guns to discharge. That is why it is described as a negligent discharge.

A true accidental discharge would be from a gun malfunction. The majority of guns have multiple safety feature to prevent that from happening.
shootinglife is right, guns dont just discharge on their own, unless they are in a state of disrepair or malfunction. for instance my guns have never discharged "accidentally". i did have one negligent discharge though many years ago though because i was foolish enough to keep my finger near the trigger when i was shifting my shooting position. but then being 14 i thought i could do no wrong when it came to firearms. i learned a lesson that day, and all it cost was a 2x4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies