Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 10:54 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
stop projecting.

you made a comment. I agreed. I gave a good example.

As it relates to abortion, we are in fact talking about morality. There are times when the moral imperative is to have the abortion. I think I have been repeatedly clear on that.

There are far more times when the moral imperative is to not have the abortion. That is what this discussion is about.

your inability to grasp this is based on your commitment to not viewing the fetus as a person. my inability to grasp your view is based on my view that the fetus is a person.

all the rest of our discussions are debates that determine if an argument is a valid one. THIS one is central. It is the core of the issue. It is as I have pointed out why we have an impasse.
I think you grasp my view rather comprehensively. You choose to reject it. Because you've decided to limit your empathy to those you judge as "innocent". And I'm limiting my empathy as well. To those I, based on science, judge to be people. And I empathize with you, as well, because I think anthropomorphization is very seductive. We name our cars. (I once had a Ford Thunderbird, that I swear hated me.) We think of our pets as people. We create Wookies and Mickey Mouses and Sylvesters. I can see why you view fetuses as people. And expectant parents talk to the fetuses. Because they are emotionally invested in the pregnancy. But the fact is that a fertilized egg isn't a person. There is a point when a fetus becomes something more. And that point most likely varies from pregnancy to pregnancy. Science tells us a lot about brain development. Not everything, we still have a long ways to go before we understand everything, but we know that some brain functions aren't achieved until the brain has developed to a certain point. Viability is in large part a matter of this brain development. And sentience is as well. To me, the vast majority of abortions are performed well before viability or sentience is achieved. These fetuses aren't people. I understand that to you they are. I'm guessing to you the fertilized egg is a person. But I think because you are a person capable of empathy, that you seem to have a great capacity for empathy, that you must be able to understand that those who don't agree with you are not necessarily wrong. Our concepts of personhood may be at the core of this issue, but also at the core of this issue is respecting that others come from a different perspective, and their perspective is as valid as your own. Your perspective is as valid as my own. I would never compel anyone to get an abortion. I think the woman who is pregnant has to determine for herself her position about these core issues, and I think we need to respect her decision, whatever that decision is.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
No point debating "week-of-viability" with pro-lifers. They pretend to engage, with cute images of 16 and 24 week babies and discussions of when a baby feels pain, but the "baby holocaust" happens before 8 weeks. Less than 3% of abortions are after 16 weeks. The "holocaust" and two-thirds of abortions are before 8 weeks. During the first 8 weeks a fetus is called an embryo. Pro-lifers would ban any post conception birth control/abortion during this embryonic stage.

Cumulative % of abortions:
34% ≤6 wks
52% 7 wks
66% 8 wks
75% 9 wks
81% 10 wks
86% 11 wks
89% 12 wks
92% 13 wks
96% 14-15 wks
98% 16-17 wks
99% 18-20 wks
100% ≥21 wks

Old 08-14-2015, 11:28 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Ok, I'll ask you.

My Aunt Tilly is sick and needs medicine, are you Ok with me kicking your door down, beating your face in, and taking your money to pay for her medicine?
Are you ok with eating a bullet?

The key difference is, I'm not telling you what you and your Aunt Tilly can and can't do with your own bodies. So I have no responsibility for her.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:33 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Intersting how the left wing pro choicers worried about the future health of a pregnant woman and her child, believe in their ability to make a choice to end a pregnancy to presumably have a healthier and safer life.

However when a homeowner wants a gun to defend themselves from intruders who may cause harm to them and their family that is forbidden; they are just crazy gun totting RWNJs.

So much hypocrisy in politics it is sickening.
Who are you talking to? I'm all for gun rights. In this country it's a necessity.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:53 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes I said that.....not sure what about that confuses you.....when someone wishes to ban abortions past 20 weeks, which is why many anti-choice people on here have said, that is what they want to do. All I did was say what they were trying to skate around.

In an embryo or fetus is in the womb, then it is the woman's choice if she wishes it to grow inside her and be birthed by her.....this isn't about who is innocent or guilty, this is about a woman being able to make her own choices without the government or a bunch of nanny anti-choice people trying to tell women what they can and cannot do.
thank you.

you provide the clear proof that there are more extremists on your side than mine.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
thank you.

you provide the clear proof that there are more extremists on your side than mine.
So letting a woman make the choice for herself is now considered "extremist." Who knew.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not one who feels, any of those, but I do think aborting except in rare situations is selfish. Why can these women not carry their babies and place them for adoption? Do most of you have any idea how many couples or even singles are waiting for infants to adopt and the cost of adoption today? With that I think. I will just bow out of this converstation. I think there really isn't much more to say. the subject has been discussed over and over for years.
I don't think adoption is the answer. We still live in a society where kids are not adopted at similar rates across ethnic groups. I have faith in the mother to determine the best course of action, and we need to butt out.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a 12 week old fetus.....or a 12 week old pre-baby if that makes you happy. It still the choice of the host if she wishes to birth this fetus.
The "host"? You must mean the "mother" decides to terminate the life.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
The "host"? You must mean the "mother" decides to terminate the life.
Yes, that is her choice because it is growing inside her body. Do you feel the need to control others in a nanny state government?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
for ferd, you still didn't answer, why do you have the right to tell women you don't even know what to do with their reproductive organs?

for winning guy, in the womb, dependent on an individual woman is far different than any "situation" you continue to bring up. in a coma, or whatever is off topic and has no bearing on a dependent fetus in the womb.

for the people who have left all us pro choicers rep points, just sign your name already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies