Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 02:30 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's supposedly pretty damn grueling. Danish Special Forces - "Jægerkorpset" (yes, they exist - lots of Taliban could have wished otherwise) used to send over one or two to go through the course and bring home new techniques and knowledge. One of them wrote a book, back in the 1980s. Now, I know people aren't under oath in such matters, but if what he depicts even resembles reality, completing Ranger School is one hell of an accomplishment. Mentally and physically.

Well, I`ve heard the same things, but on paper at least, it just doesn`t seem to be there.

Sure, compared to the regular army stuff this is a big step up, but that **** is a joke to begin with.

Compared to other branch`s special units, the army seems to come up short.

Strong Men Armed - The Marine Corps 1st Force Reconnaissance Company: Part II - Training

Navy SEAL Training | Military.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:08 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,049 times
If anyone here - anyone - believes the standards have not been lowered and weakened, as I said I've got a bridge to sell you.

The bottom line is these women can never, ever, be able to do certain things physically stronger men can do. It's amazing how pathetic some in this country (and the West in general) have become - you tools will believe anything to make your liberal/bleeding hearts feel better.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
From what I have read, maybe it didn`t need to be lowered.

To earn the Ranger tab, applicants must be able to complete 49 push-ups, 59 sit-ups, a five-mile run in 40 minutes, six chin-ups, a swimming test, a land navigation test, a 12-mile foot march in three hours, several obstacle courses, four days of military mountaineering, three parachute jumps, four air assaults on helicopters, multiple rubber boat movements and 27 days of mock combat patrols.

Two Women Make History by Passing Army's Elite Ranger School - NBC News
0q

I know this is an elite organization within the Army, but aside from jumping out of planes, we did all that and more in marine corps recruit training.

There is something more to this story if 3 of 4 dropped out and this is all they had to do.
The PT testing is done just to start the school. It seems as if since my day they have added jump qualified. Before "leg" Ranger candidates did air assaults from helicopters when the rest of the class jumped. Someone probably decided to waste money sending them through Jump School first rather than waste money having extra aircraft flying during the course.

It is the days on end with limited food and sleep which makes the course like BUDS and unlike basic combat training.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I wonder how much they relaxed their rigorousness on the physical fitness side of it.

2 women pass Army Ranger School, first female graduates - AOL.com
That's nice, however, you have to ask if that accomplishment is representative of women or are these two an anomoly. These two do deserve acolades for their accomplishment.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That's nice, however, you have to ask if that accomplishment is representative of women or are these two an anomoly. These two do deserve acolades for their accomplishment.
The entire ideal of "elite" is that they are all anomalies, if not we should just call them infantry and drop all the tabs, berets, silver wings.... you are the elite participation medals. Just about any able body male can be made infantry and they died in the millions last century. When a Royal Marine Commando or US Army Ranger unit was not available in 1945 that next line infantry unit sitting in reserve was sent up to do the mission

Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times
Put 'em charge of "investigating" military sex crimes.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:26 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
The bottom line is these women can never, ever, be able to do certain things physically stronger men can do.
The last time I checked, selection isn't based upon who is the strongest rather it is based upon a minimal acceptable standard as a result women can and do meet those standards. A women doesn't have to be stronger than the men she would serve with.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-20-2015 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Or, were these two highly capable or was the bar lowered from 20 years ago.
If this remains rare then you know these two ladies are super special.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:34 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well, I`ve heard the same things, but on paper at least, it just doesn`t seem to be there.

Sure, compared to the regular army stuff this is a big step up, but that **** is a joke to begin with.

Compared to other branch`s special units, the army seems to come up short.

Strong Men Armed - The Marine Corps 1st Force Reconnaissance Company: Part II - Training

Navy SEAL Training | Military.com
For as long as there have been different branches of the services there have been pissing matches over who trains the hardest and who is the toughest. According the Marines there is no need for special forces to begin with because they are the special forces. Then there is the Delta Force/Green Berets vs the SEALS and throw in the Air Forces' Pararescues, all you need is a bar with beer and this argument could go on for decades. In my estimation they are all bad MOFOS and a tip of the hat and a wag of the finger to them all.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:46 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Good for the women. Still, I have serious concerns regarding women serving in actual combat roles (let them compete in the Army Ranger School and get a new patch, sure, no problem there). This is especially true for pre-menopausal women who go get cramps, etc., regularly, things that can comprise security/readiness and harm the mission. Its not just the ability of women to physically compete during training; no, there are other biological differences that can make a real difference in battle readiness.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 08-20-2015 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies