Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Good job. Nothing like congratulating people for a job well done.

Absolutely nothing.

You apparently haven't heard what most of us know: that standards for women in male-dominated jobs (from law enforcement, to firefighters, to the military) have been relaxed. If that's not the case here, good for them. If it is the case (and we can expect "safe tents" for offended or aggrieved women ), then people have every right to comment on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 11:05 AM

241 posts, read 360,201 times
According to article, they insist that they did not lower the standards. Those women looked tough, I am sure they passed the test without help.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,171,127 times
Yea the Army made sure to allow media outlets to come in and monitor the process to show that everyone is doing the same thing.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:57 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Money wasted.

Ranger school is a leadership course designed to teach the subject while running infantry patrols. Women can't serve in the infantry. They can't serve in the Rangers. In fact, they are barred from most combat MOS's. Total waste of money.
The first step in changing whether women can serve in combat units is to see if they can handle the job. It appears these two can handle being Rangers.

Quote:
Not to mention that they did lower the standards. They had to pass the female PT test, not the male test. The female version is MUCH easier, as it should be. They were given special "accommodations" while in the field. I spoke with my old CSM and he said the official line is that they were treated the same, but in fact they weren't. Even one "accommodation" is too many, but apparently there were several. I call BS. Welcome to the politically correct military.
It appears your CSM is mistaken.

Official: All 3 women in Ranger School pass PT test

"The women, who were offered Day One Recycles, passed the Ranger Physical Assessment on Monday, said Col. William Butler, deputy commandant of the U.S. Army Infantry School."

"The famously punishing first four days of Ranger School are known as the Ranger Assessment Phase, or RAP week.

It includes a physical fitness test consisting of 49 pushups, 59 sit-ups, a 5-mile run in under 40 minutes, and 6 chin-ups; a swim test; a land navigation test; and a 12-mile foot march in under 3 hours."

Quote:
Now let's see what happens when a 265lb soldier gets hit and one of these ladies has to carry him 3 kilometers off the battlefield to a MEDEVAC point. Will the enemy make "accommodations" too? The military isn't the place to play with social experimentation. It makes me sick to think that good men will likely die because some PC policy made everyone feel good in Washington.
Your 265 pound soldier would be off the Army height & weight chart. He would not even be there to need help.

Height and Weight Requirements | Army.com

The Truth About Little Women Carrying Big Wounded*Men in Combat - The Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I don't care about politics. There are no politics downrange. Women aren't as strong as men. They have periods and blood smells. Especially after you've been in the bush for a week or more, it's pretty easy to smell people, especially one who is bleeding and carrying around a backpack full of rotting tampons in 120 degree heat. They can't spend weeks in swamps without bathing and taking care of themselves. Combat is unforgiving. I was in a Recon team in the infantry. We went out on patrol for weeks at a time. We didn't bathe for almost 1 month in Iraq at one point. What happens then?

What happens when a female gets pregnant and you lose 1/5 of your fire team? We are talking about mostly 18-20 year old men and women. Does anyone really think they won't hook up after being alone in the desert for several months? Then what? And what does that do to unit cohesion? Does anyone really think the 21 year old sergeant is going to tell his 19 year old girlfriend to walk point on a movement to contact?

A little common sense is all you need to know that women in combat is a stupid idea.
Really?

Unwashed males stink, too.

You think that women who live in environments where it is not possible to bathe daily do not accommodate to the situation? Sheesh.

What happens when a male gets a hernia and you lose 1/5 of your fire team?

By the way, periods can be dealt with. They can even be made to disappear. Pregnancy can be prevented.

Would the 21 year old sergeant send his 19 year old brother to walk point?

Old 08-19-2015, 03:23 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
When women have the same physical traits and mental aptitude to deal with stress as men you would have a point.
These 2 women just completed Army Ranger School. That is a pretty powerful indicator of physical & mental aptitude - by design.

Quote:
I don't know why people seem to think men and women are equal.
98% of all men would wash out of Army Ranger School in no time flat. So I'd say these particular soldiers aren't equal to most men when it comes to soldiering - they've proven themselves better.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What happens when a male gets a hernia and you lose 1/5 of your fire team?
People have even been known to lose parts of their fire team in unpredictable and chaotic ways, in military-type situations. It's almost as if the problem of replacing personnel is one that the military specializes in solving.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
These 2 women just completed Army Ranger School. That is a pretty powerful indicator of physical & mental aptitude - by design.

98% of all men would wash out of Army Ranger School in no time flat. So I'd say these particular soldiers aren't "equal" to most men when it comes to soldiering - they've proven themselves better.
So I see we are just making up statistics now.

Also, passing a training program, no mater how rigorous, does in no way compare to the actual thing.

In every study, women as a group, are less able to handle the duties of their current roles in the military than men, let alone being a grunt in active and direct combat.

Why not read a study on women in combat roles
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...aper_Final.pdf

Old 08-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
<shrug> I was being generous.

Quote:
Also, passing a training program, no mater how rigorous, does in no way compare to the actual thing.
Oh, so the Ranger tab is not indicative of a high level of competency in soldiering? Then what's the point of the program?

Quote:
In every study, women as a group, are less able to handle the duties of their current roles in the military than men, let alone being a grunt in active and direct combat.
Oh, in every study.

Quote:

Old 08-19-2015, 03:33 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
<shrug> I was being generous.

Oh, so the Ranger tab is not indicative of a high level of competency in soldiering? Then what's the point of the program?

Oh, in every study.
Training and doing are two very different things.

Mixed gender units are out performed by male only units every time. Mixed gender units also have lower survivability.

One Army study focusing on Operation Iraqi Freedom found women are almost twice as likely to suffer from non-combat related disease and injuries and are twice as likely to be medevac’d out of the theater of operations. Historical non-deployment rates for women are three to four times than that of men. Women suffer many times the rate of stress fractures and ACL injuries. All of this hurts combat readiness and increases costs. That we will still be able to defeat vastly inferior opponents is beside the point — more of our soldiers will die and our combat units will be less capable.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...eadly-pentagon

From the same article
A Royal Society of Medicine study on the British military found that that injuries skyrocketed for women “when they undertake the same arduous training as male recruits.” The end result was that women were eight times more likely to be discharged with back pain, tendon injuries, and stress fractures than their male counterparts. Indeed, many studies show that rigorous training only widens the gap between men and women.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:49 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Your 265 pound soldier would be off the Army height & weight chart. He would not even be there to need help.

Height and Weight Requirements | Army.com

The Truth About Little Women Carrying Big Wounded*Men in Combat - The Wire

Only thing I'm answering is above:

You are wrong, he would be there, that height and weight scale is there as a basic standard. If you are a weight lifter (or just pure muscle), and can pass the body fat test and are under body fat % you can still be in the military.. I have a body builder friend that is 5'5 and 250lbs...just saying...

And BTW, that height and weight chart was from an insurance company from the early 1940's and has never been changed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies