Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:38 PM

46,965 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I read your post and couldn't figure out what you meant. I read MY post like 5 times then saw it.

now......

ouch.....

I meant to type NOT NOT NOT NOT....

boy that changes the whole meaning.

Kudos to the women.
Kudos to the Army for NOT lowering standards.

I got real issues where the military really has lowered standards. but in this case, according to the article, they did not lower the standards.

I don't see any real benefit in sending women into combat, and I see more than a few issues.... but any person who passes Ranger School deserves respect. without reservation.
That does put a different spin on things, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 04:16 PM

241 posts, read 360,201 times
I wonder if an all female unit would work since it seems men and women working together doesn't work according to some articles here. It's good to train the female populace combat skills, because when an army lacks male power they usually turn to children or women as the 2nd best option.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:34 PM

46,965 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
didn't answer my question though.

If they wanted to downsize the army, then I am sure they could find soldiers who are qualified to be rangers. (soldiers who are currently serving that is.)
The two females in question are currently serving, and Army Ranger School is one way of identifying those who qualify. There's attrition in the ranks of Special Forces - very few people can stay that much on top of their game for years on end.

It sounds like you're looking at this from the perspective of "The Army is seeking out females for special forces". What is happening is "Two females prove they have the capacity for special forces work". With the latter being the case, for the Army to ignore two individuals with that level of skill and the determination is counterproductive. No matter what foot they start a waltz with.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:40 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I wonder if an all female unit would work since it seems men and women working together doesn't work according to some articles here. It's good to train the female populace combat skills, because when an army lacks male power they usually turn to children or women as the 2nd best option.
if memory serves (and that's debatable) There was an all woman unit in the Russian Army during WW2 and it was among the most vicious and effective the Russians had.

the Nazi troops feared the notion of being captured by them

Now that doesn't really matter as the American Military rules of engagement would put to death every single one of those women... but an all female unit was effective in WW2.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I think this will benefit them back at whatever unit they came from however. Plus, in the next year when they (possibly) integrate the 75th, these ladies will be right in line to be the first to do that. Wonder if they'll have all female platoons or if these two will blend in with the rest of the Joes?

When I was a machinegunner in the Marine Corps I would have had a hard time completing the course, if at all. It took some guts for them to give it a try.

They should be very proud of themselves.
I don't see why they can't serve at Ranger Regiment at Benning right now. They just won't be able to be in the battalions themselves.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:45 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't see why they can't serve at Ranger Regiment at Benning right now. They just won't be able to be in the battalions themselves.
I don't know either, from what I gather the Regiment is not yet integrated. I may be mistaken. And I'm referring to them "being in the Regiment" as serving in an actual combat role, not support.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I don't know either, from what I gather the Regiment is not yet integrated. I may be mistaken. And I'm referring to them "being in the Regiment" as serving in an actual combat role, not support.
I don't see how they can integrate them into combat roles in the battalions. I mean, if it's possible, then by all means do it.

They probably don't have combat arms MOS's anyway. In fact, I'm sure they don't.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Take a look at the Syrian Kurdish YPG. This is the outfit that ran ISIS out of Kobani, and has since seized control of much territory in NE Syria, pushing ISIS further and further back (unlike the Iraqi's who throw down their US weapons and equipment and run at the sight of the first Tacoma with an ISIS flag) The YPG includes the YPJ, which is the Womens Protection Units - all female, and operate right along with the men in the YPG during all combat operations. Approx. 35% of the YPG is female YPJ. Considering they are under-armed and under-manned - these women and men, fighting together, have been extremely successful in pushing back ISIS. I think your articles are based purely on speculation, and false.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Take a look at the Syrian Kurdish YPG. This is the outfit that ran ISIS out of Kobani, and has since seized control of much territory in NE Syria, pushing ISIS further and further back (unlike the Iraqi's who throw down their US weapons and equipment and run at the sight of the first Tacoma with an ISIS flag) The YPG includes the YPJ, which is the Womens Protection Units - all female, and operate right along with the men in the YPG during all combat operations. Approx. 35% of the YPG is female YPJ. Considering they are under-armed and under-manned - these women and men, fighting together, have been extremely successful in pushing back ISIS. I think your articles are based purely on speculation, and false.
Well said.

Western fascination with 'badass' Kurdish women

Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Well, I am sure these two women are outstanding. Like I said earlier, As a former athlete who played water polo pretty much my whole life, I was a good swimmer, but I have no upper body strength, and i couldn't run to save my life. So these two women must have what it takes to be in one of the elite team.

This being said, my friend once posted this

There is also the factor of being reduced to base creatures, under going immense combat stress, and being in country for an extended period. Human beings will be human beings and seek the comfort of those around them. Basically men and women alike will find a way to physically ease there stress, especially after moral erosion. I have heard of to many co ed units issuing Non-Judicial Punishments out for infidelity during deployment. Not to mention females getting shipped back for becoming pregnant during deployment. This totally compromises mission readiness, presents a grievous logistical challenge, and the unneeded allocation of wartime resources.

You must also factor in man's primordial nature to protect his female counter-part. Whether they are physically involved or not, men have the natural urge to protect the female at all cost, by instinct. This instinctual urge does not make it fair on the battlefield at all and actually clouds sound judgement and the decision making process.

All in all, females should not be allowed to participate as combatants not merely because of their flaw, but because man's flaws as well. Flaws that are a by product of human nature. No matter how much we try to fight it there is still that chance. In war we should not risk the lives of fellow service members, men and women alike. As service members of this country, we should focus on defending the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. We do this by excelling on the field of battle...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post34270033

I think he makes a lot of sense.

By the way, he was a combat Marine served 3 tours in ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies