Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I doubt you have people "rethinking" their position. As Chielgirl said, we just get tired of the same questions... all this is very unproductive and I doubt anyone changes their mind because of an endless barrage of asking the same old questions that have already been answered. Problem is you don't like the answer and keep asking - the answer won't change. There have been several threads here, just like this one. I don't know of one person that has changed their mind, at least no one has said so. I know I won't change my mind. Even if I wouldn't have an abortion I would NEVER force women to have children they do not want. The unwanted children end up paying the price, often with physical or mental abuse, sometimes worse. If I had a choice to be born to someone that didn't want me, or not be born, I'd rather not be born. And my mother did not want me, often I wish she had been able to find someone that would have given her an abortion...I have no doubt that my "soul" or whatever you want to call it, would have been born to someone else, maybe someone that actually wanted a child, would have been nice....
Have you even answered the question? I hope you have, at least in your mind, and realize that the only way to protect a child outside of the womb but before the umbilical cord is cut is to force the women to have it and take away their choice to do with their body what they'd like.

I believe the problem is that you don't like the question. The answers I don't mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 06:28 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo.square View Post
As a married women with 3 kids

Its my body and I will do whatever I want to do with it.
I don't have kids yet, but I agree 100%. As for the billboards, they have the right to exist, but I also have the right to laugh and/or roll my eyes at them. If they'd just stay away from Planned Parenthood (and similar clinics), I'll let the pro-lifers post all the billboards their hearts desire.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:33 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't have kids yet, but I agree 100%. As for the billboards, they have the right to exist, but I also have the right to laugh and/or roll my eyes at them. If they'd just stay away from Planned Parenthood (and similar clinics), I'll let the pro-lifers post all the billboards their hearts desire.
We have limits to what we can do with our bodies, i.e. until some other person is hurt. The question surrounding this is at what point is the fetus/baby another person?

The billboards are just another form of free speech which shouldn't be limited as with billboards advertising Planned Parenthood.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
The woman who brought Roe v. Wade has changed her opinion on the subject. I think if you hunt enough, you can find it.

IMHO, It is my body and I think I have the right to do as I please ( w/ me, it would be after a family decision.) That said, I am now too old to have it matter.

However, if Roe were ever overturned ( or as it is now w/ people giving up children), I would like to see all the pro-lifers adopting the kids forced to term. I don't see any doing that....
Yes; they can talk the talk, so lets see them ACT on their ideology.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Have you even answered the question? I hope you have, at least in your mind, and realize that the only way to protect a child outside of the womb but before the umbilical cord is cut is to force the women to have it and take away their choice to do with their body what they'd like.

I believe the problem is that you don't like the question. The answers I don't mind.

You sure presume a lot...you don't know a thing about me....
I don't have ANY problem with your question, it's just been answered several times. The one that has the problem is you, since you refuse to accept the answers you are given, since they are different from your views. I have no problem with letting women decide if they want to continue a pregnancy in the first trimester. At that point there is no "BABY" IMO, it is a developing fetus and part of the woman's body, it will die without being attached to the woman's body. Once the fetus is viable and can survive on its own, then I would support extracting it and giving it up for adoption. End of story.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
Why, exactly? I understand you feel strongly about this, but if destroying one's genetic legacy is, Darwinially speaking, about the stupidest thing a breeding adult can do, then what can the government do to impose external consequences more severe than not passing on your genes?

And why do I want to pay for it via tax dollars?

Pregnant women with partners uninterested in fatherhood (which is mostly the scenario that drives elective abortions) cost the rest of us a lot of money, both upfront and through years of dealing with their equally dysfunctional offspring. Sorry, but a lot of the gals who wind up at abortion clinics are there because they lacked the brains or common sense to use birth control in the first place. And their boyfriends aren't exactly what I'd call reliable future patriarchs.

D'ya really, really want THAT to be the next generation of American motherhood?

I would rather not sacrifice my own children's educations, housing, stability, etc, to fund an ever-expanding underclass of single moms and deadbeat dads created by illegalizing abortion and/or birth control. Margaret Sanger was no fool.
True -- those are the ONLY good arguments for abortion. A woman who would kill her own offspring is not much of a mother in the first place. If they would hate their baby so much that they would wish to destroy it -- why don't they just become sterilized? Or do they view their children as nothing more than commodies? I will eliminate this child because it's life is inconvenient to me, but a later child will be allowed to live because it's time to collect a human possession.

However -- the illegitimacy rate is higher than ever -- we're still paying for the bimbos who couldn't figure out how to delay conception until they could provide for their child.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Gee, your generality is quite hateful, isn't it.

Tell me, in the educational system today, how much do kids learn about their bodies or reproduction system? That education was squashed some years ago by "religious" people who didn't want their kids to learn about sex, so no one does now.

Again, this is definition. You call it killing offspring, I don't. As mentioned several times, it's a matter of definition.

You can define and live YOUR life any way you choose within the law; respect me enough to do the same.

So, how many kids did you adopt malamute?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:03 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Yes; they can talk the talk, so lets see them ACT on their ideology.
My sister is... waiting in line for a child. Sure she wants a child under the age of 18 months, but she'll take any child.... boy, girl, minority... doesn't matter. She's been waiting 14 months after being approved by the state program, and still no baby.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:09 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Gee, your generality is quite hateful, isn't it.

Tell me, in the educational system today, how much do kids learn about their bodies or reproduction system? That education was squashed some years ago by "religious" people who didn't want their kids to learn about sex, so no one does now.

Again, this is definition. You call it killing offspring, I don't. As mentioned several times, it's a matter of definition.

You can define and live YOUR life any way you choose within the law; respect me enough to do the same.

So, how many kids did you adopt malamute?
This debate isn't about what the law is, it's about what the law should be. The argument about the death penalty isn't off the table for discussion because it's legal in some states... it's on the table because state sponsored murder is, at least in my mind, wrong. And so is willfully ending the life of an unborn child.

It seems like an easy concept to grasp... yet so many people have a hard time grasping it. I'm not asking that you agree with me that an unborn child is worthy of life... I'm simply asking you, and others, to confirm that it's not about what the law is today, and it's not about someone wanting to control your body. It's about if a mother should be able to end the life of an unborn child without consequence.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:22 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,854 times
[quote=katzenfreund;2699090] extracting it quote]

You've got to be kidding me, extracting "it". I sure hope you are'nt a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies