Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 09:28 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
MMR would not be recommended in pregnancy because it is a live attenuated virus vaccine. Anyone with a basic understanding of vaccines should know that. However, it has been inadvertently administered to some pregnant women, with no serious effects.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...pregnant-women

You might want to read about fetal alcohol syndrome [FAS], since you and your midwife think alcohol in pregnancy is safe. There is very good reason to abstain from alcohol during pregnancy.

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

"FAS is caused by a woman's use of alcohol during her pregnancy. The alcohol that a pregnant woman drinks travels through her bloodstream and across the placenta to her fetus, or developing baby. A fetus's small body breaks down alcohol much more slowly than an adult's body does. So the alcohol level in the fetus's blood is higher than in the mother's blood, and the alcohol remains in the fetus's blood longer. This exposure of the fetus to alcohol causes FAS.

Women who drink frequently (four or five alcoholic beverages or more per day) greatly increase the chances that their babies will have FAS. However, no amount of alcohol use during pregnancy has been proven safe. The effects of FAS may also be seen in children whose mothers drank moderately or lightly during pregnancy. An average of only one drink per day increases a baby's risk of FAS."

FFS, having a glass of wine or two throughout the course of one's pregnancy is not going to cause FAS. Katonjj said that her midwife recommended a glass of wine to help with pre-labor contractions, not daily wine throughout pregnancy.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:45 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
FFS, having a glass of wine or two throughout the course of one's pregnancy is not going to cause FAS. Katonjj said that her midwife recommended a glass of wine to help with pre-labor contractions, not daily wine throughout pregnancy.
The problem is that alcohol does cross the placental barrier. The second problem is that if there is a "safe limit" to drinking alcohol during pregnancy than that limit has not been discovered.

Most babies are probably not going to be harmed by a mother who consumes minimal amounts of alcohol (one drink a day or less). In fact, my own mother openly confessed to having a glass of wine a day when she was pregnant with both my sister and I. (Most days, I don't think the experience harmed us!)

However, there undoubtedly are babies who were harmed by just that amount of alcohol. As life, progresses we learn that some things we took for granted as being safe when we were children, weren't safe at all. Its simply that most people who experience them will not be harmed enough that it can be quantified in some sort of statistical measure.

Any soon-to-be mother consuming alcohol during pregnancy ought to read this FAQ from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)). ACOG makes it clear that even minimal amounts of alcohol can seriously harm a baby in utero.

Tobacco, Alcohol, Drugs, and Pregnancy - ACOG

Old 12-17-2015, 09:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
^^
"In surveys, about half of all childbearing age women in the United States report consuming alcohol within the past month, and nearly 8 percent of women said they continued to consume alcohol during pregnancy. A recent study found increased risk of infant growth retardation even when a pregnant woman's consumption was limited to 1 alcoholic drink per day (a 1.5-ounce shot of distilled spirits, 5 ounces of wine, or 12 ounces of beer). . . . "The research suggests that the smartest choice for women who are pregnant is to just abstain from alcohol completely," said Dr. Williams." - See more at: https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-...0FlhuFWe.dpuf-

This is in keeping with the recommendation of the health experts in many countries.
Drinking Guidelines for Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

The problem with saying a little is OK is that everyone's definition of "a little" is different.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The problem is that alcohol does cross the placental barrier. The second problem is that if there is a "safe limit" to drinking alcohol during pregnancy than that limit has not been discovered.

Most babies are probably not going to be harmed by a mother who consumes minimal amounts of alcohol (one drink a day or less). In fact, my own mother openly confessed to having a glass of wine a day when she was pregnant with both my sister and I. (Most days, I don't think the experience harmed us!)

However, there are undoubtedly are babies who were harmed by just that amount of alcohol. As life, progresses we learn that some things we took for granted as being safe when we were children, weren't safe at all. Its simply that most people who experience them will not be harmed enough that it can be quantified in some sort of statistical measure.

Any soon-to-be mother consuming alcohol during pregnancy ought to read this FAQ from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)). ACOG makes it clear that even minimal amounts of alcohol can seriously harm a baby in utero.

Tobacco, Alcohol, Drugs, and Pregnancy - ACOG

Kajonjj was talking about a glass of wine to help with pre-labor contractions. NOT daily wine throughout the course of pregnancy. Why not read before coming up with these long winded strawman responses, Mark, Suzy and Katarina?

Old 12-17-2015, 11:26 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
My OB told me 36 years ago to have a glass of wine during contractions at home. 20 hour labor with a breach baby. You need something to relax and prepare you for that labor and delivery, although MOVEMENT helped even more. I cleaned my entire house before I went to the hospital which relaxed me. Worse thing you can do is just sit or lay around waiting for the next contraction and dreading the coming pain.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:36 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,531,736 times
Quote:
Kajonjj was talking about a glass of wine to help with pre-labor contractions. NOT daily wine throughout the course of pregnancy. Why not read before coming up with these long winded strawman responses, Mark, Suzy and Katarina?
Exactly... I was comparing ONE glass of wine (and a soak in a hot bath) recommended during pre-labor to the harmful ingredients in vaccines. I didn't cite the right vaccines though. TdaP, Hep B, and Flu shots are recommended during pregnancy. How many of those ingredients do I need to list? All of them can cross the placenta.

Yet the response against a glass of wine was so excessive it proves my point so all is good. Once you are brainwashed with "vaccines are safe and effective" and conditioned not to question the government... it's a real shame they can't see the comparison. If you question ONE glass of wine during pregnancy then you (naturally) question vaccines given during pregnancy.

The CDC recommends 3 (Vaccines for Pregnant Women | CDC) but the inserts clearly state that safety for use in pregnant women has not be established (nor do they know that it is even effective!).
https://www.vaccineshoppe.com/image....pe=product_pdf
https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/con.../ENGERIX-B.PDF
https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/con...df/FLUARIX.PDF

In fact, in the case of the flu shot, the insert says ALL pregnant women who get it should be listed in the pregnancy registry. I assume this is to track for safety data yet how many people administering it know they should do this?

We trust the CDC to recommend vaccines when the manufacturer clearly states it may not be effective or safe for pregnant women? But one glass of wine and everyone goes off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My OB told me 36 years ago to have a glass of wine during contractions at home. 20 hour labor with a breach baby. You need something to relax and prepare you for that labor and delivery, although MOVEMENT helped even more. I cleaned my entire house before I went to the hospital which relaxed me. Worse thing you can do is just sit or lay around waiting for the next contraction and dreading the coming pain.
It was also recommended because I really wanted to have my daughter on my bday but was only a few centimeters dilated so I think my midwife was also just trying to placate me. I didn't have any wine in the house so I ended up not drinking it anyway and it was 5 days later that I gave birth.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
For one thing, if "pre-labor contractions" means Braxton-Hicks contractions, they need no "help". They are normal. They come and go with no treatment at all.

If "pre-labor contractions" means premature labor, a four ounce glass of wine is not going to help. Back when obstetricians used alcohol to try to stop preterm labor, it was given IV in large doses, enough to make mom drunk as a skunk, and done as a last ditch effort to prevent delivery of infants likely to have severe respiratory distress at birth.

Any midwife who recommends consumption of alcohol during pregnancy these days is practicing below the standard of care.

But what do all those obstetricians and pediatricians know about alcohol during pregnancy, eh? After all, they are the same folks who recommend vaccines, aren't they?

Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
For one thing, if "pre-labor contractions" means Braxton-Hicks contractions, they need no "help". They are normal. They come and go with no treatment at all.

If "pre-labor contractions" means premature labor, a four ounce glass of wine is not going to help. Back when obstetricians used alcohol to try to stop preterm labor, it was given IV in large doses, enough to make mom drunk as a skunk, and done as a last ditch effort to prevent delivery of infants likely to have severe respiratory distress at birth.

Any midwife who recommends consumption of alcohol during pregnancy these days is practicing below the standard of care.

But what do all those obstetricians and pediatricians know about alcohol during pregnancy, eh? After all, they are the same folks who recommend vaccines, aren't they?

A very stubborn strawman I see.

One glass of wine during early contractions (not talking about Braxton Hicks) is not meant to stop labor and it's not going to make mom "drunk as a skunk". We aren't talking about large doses of alcohol via IV. It's meant to help mom relax. I've heard this advice coming from midwives as well. This "advice" is not an order but more of, it's ok to do so in early labor. Again, we are talking about one single glass of wine. I have also had an OBGYN tell me that a glass of wine every now and then during pregnancy is ok in the third trimester. They don't normally recommend any alcohol though because they don't know who will actually stop at one glass and who will move to two or three.

It's amazing that you feel so strongly against this one single glass of wine while pregnant yet are very pro injecting chemicals into anyone and everyone. Very strange indeed.

Last edited by MissTerri; 12-17-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Exactly... I was comparing ONE glass of wine (and a soak in a hot bath) recommended during pre-labor to the harmful ingredients in vaccines. I didn't cite the right vaccines though. TdaP, Hep B, and Flu shots are recommended during pregnancy. How many of those ingredients do I need to list? All of them can cross the placenta.

Yet the response against a glass of wine was so excessive it proves my point so all is good. Once you are brainwashed with "vaccines are safe and effective" and conditioned not to question the government... it's a real shame they can't see the comparison. If you question ONE glass of wine during pregnancy then you (naturally) question vaccines given during pregnancy.

In fact, in the case of the flu shot, the insert says ALL pregnant women who get it should be listed in the pregnancy registry. I assume this is to track for safety data yet how many people administering it know they should do this?

We trust the CDC to recommend vaccines when the manufacturer clearly states it may not be effective or safe for pregnant women? But one glass of wine and everyone goes off!

It was also recommended because I really wanted to have my daughter on my bday but was only a few centimeters dilated so I think my midwife was also just trying to placate me. I didn't have any wine in the house so I ended up not drinking it anyway and it was 5 days later that I gave birth.
I would hope a midwife would not suggest wine for a placebo effect.

Ah, abuse of the manufacturer's insert again. You have been told before that those are written by lawyers and list every event that has ever been reported after a vaccine was given, whether the vaccine was shown to cause the event or not. Just because the manufacturer has not done safety studies on vaccines in pregnancy does not mean no one has.

Flu Vaccine Safety and Pregnancy | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

"Several studies conducted by CDC and partners support the safety of the flu vaccine for pregnant women and their unborn babies.

A review of reports to the Vaccine Adverse Reporting System (VAERS) (Moro et al, 2011) found no link between pregnancy complications or adverse fetal outcomes among pregnant women and flu shots or nasal spray flu vaccine.
While the nasal spray is not recommended for pregnant women, researchers were reassured to find that the accidental administration of the nasal spray vaccine to pregnant women did not result in any complications.
A study using Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) data (Irving et al, 2013) found no increased risk of miscarriage among pregnant women who received flu vaccines in the 2005-06 or 2006-07 flu seasons.
A large study using VSD data (Kharbanda et al, 2013) found no increased risk for adverse obstetric events (like chorioamnionitis, pre-eclampsia, or gestational hypertension) for pregnant women who received the flu vaccine from 2002 to 2009 when compared to pregnant woman who were not vaccinated.
A VSD study (Nordin et al, 2014) compared pregnant women who received the flu shot with an equal number of pregnant women who did not receive the flu shot during the 2004-05 and 2008-09 flu seasons, and found no differences between the two groups in the rates of premature delivery or small for gestational age infants."

Pregnancy studies for flu vaccine are ongoing. Participation by the pregnant woman is voluntary. Here is one:

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02554409

For the Tdap:

Updated Recommendations for Use of Tetanus Toxoid, Reduced Diphtheria Toxoid and Acellular Pertussis Vaccine (Tdap) in Pregnant Women and Persons Who Have or Anticipate Having Close Contact with an Infant Aged <12 Months --- Advisory Committee on Imm

"In prelicensure evaluations, the safety of administering a booster dose of Tdap to pregnant women was not studied. Because information on use of Tdap in pregnant women was lacking, both manufacturers of Tdap established pregnancy registries to collect information and pregnancy outcomes from pregnant women vaccinated with Tdap. Data on the safety of administering Tdap to pregnant women are now available. ACIP reviewed published and unpublished data from VAERS, Sanofi Pasteur (Adacel) and GlaxoSmithKline (Boostrix) pregnancy registries, and small studies (7,8). ACIP concluded that available data from these studies did not suggest any elevated frequency or unusual patterns of adverse events in pregnant women who received Tdap and that the few serious adverse events reported were unlikely to have been caused by the vaccine. Both tetanus and diphtheria toxoids (Td) and tetanus toxoid vaccines have been used extensively in pregnant women worldwide to prevent neonatal tetanus. Tetanus- and diphtheria-toxoid containing vaccines administered during pregnancy have not been shown to be teratogenic. From a safety perspective, ACIP concluded that administration of Tdap after 20 weeks' gestation is preferred to minimize the risk for any low-frequency adverse event and the possibility that any spurious association might appear causative."

Although it would be wise for a woman planning a pregnancy to be up to date on all her vaccines, flu and Tdap are the only ones recommended for each pregnancy. Hepatitis B vaccine is not.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:

A very stubborn strawman I see.

One glass of wine during early contractions (not talking about Braxton Hicks) is not meant to stop labor and it's not going to make mom "drunk as a skunk". We aren't talking about large doses of alcohol via IV. It's meant to help mom relax. I've heard this advice coming from midwives as well. This "advice" is not an order but more of, it's ok to do so in early labor. Again, we are talking about one single glass of wine. I have also had an OBGYN tell me that a glass of wine every now and then during pregnancy is ok in the third trimester. They don't normally recommend any alcohol though because they don't know who will actually stop at one glass and who will move to two or three.

It's amazing that you feel so strongly against this one single glass of wine while pregnant yet are very pro injecting chemicals into anyone and everyone. Very strange indeed.
"One single glass of wine" is not going to stop any contractions. It would take much, much more. It is therefore being offered as a placebo. That is not good medical practice.

It's very strange that you want to ignore the proven benefit of vaccines in pregnancy but consider alcohol, with proven adverse effects, to be acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies