Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Which is exactly why infants are going to start dying of those illnesses again in larger numbers if we don't catch up on vaccinations.
Yes. Just here in the US, about 4 million babies are born every year, susceptible to measles and everything else.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:35 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
I really wonder how many people would still live in the USA after 50 or so years if we simply stopped vaccinating.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:16 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
All good then, since most of the country is vaccinated against measles, we can move on to addressing more pressing issues. This is not worthy of concern in 2016. There are a thousand issues ahead of it if saving lives are a concern.
Unless of course it's about something else......

Agreed. It doesn't warrant the kind of reaction that we see from some, including the state of California. This is clearly about something else.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
I really wonde r how many people would still live in the USA after 50 or so years if we simply stopped vaccinating.

Oh, my dear, I am in my 60s and have gotten FOUR vaccinations in my life. YOUR vaccinations of today weren't even on the radar when I was a child or MY CHILDREN were young.

Humans have "somehow" managed to survive without your vaccines, AND medications, for millions of years, and will continue to. The question really is will we humans be able to survive WITH all your medical interventions? THAT is more the question. Drugged out Zombie Nations.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Default Anti-vaccination people lack imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Agreed. It doesn't warrant the kind of reaction that we see from some, including the state of California. This is clearly about something else.
One of my biggest problems with people who oppose vaccination is their lack of imagination. They seem unable to comprehend how eliminating a disease could make a major difference in many ways.

First, we would save the lives of a substantial number of people if we eradicated the measles.

Second, we would prevent a large group from going through life with disability if we eradicated measles.

Third, we would save a very substantial amount of money because we wouldn't have to worry any more about immunizing for the measles once it had been eradicated. This article states we would save over $7.8 billion.

We no longer give a small pox vaccination because--with the eradication of the disease--its no longer necessary.

Measles can be eliminated from the list of diseases which afflict mankind, if we want it badly enough. We were near eradication before the anti-vaccination movement appeared.

Take a look at this study on the costs and benefits of eradicating measles with appeared in the Journal of Infectious Disease.

Global Eradication of Measles: An Epidemiologic and Economic Evaluation

Last edited by markg91359; 01-05-2016 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 07:55 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
One of my biggest problems with people who oppose vaccination is their lack of imagination. They seem unable to comprehend how eliminating a disease could make a major difference in many ways.

First, we would save the lives of a substantial number of people if we eradicated the measles.

Second, we would prevent a large group from going through life with disability if we eradicated measles.

Third, we would save a very substantial amount of money because we wouldn't have to worry any more about immunizing for the measles once it had been eradicated. This article states we would save over $7.8 billion.

We no longer give a small pox vaccination because--with the eradication of the disease--its no longer necessary.

Measles can be eliminated from the list of diseases which afflict mankind, if we want it badly enough. We were near eradication before the anti-vaccination movement appeared.

Take a look at this study on the costs and benefits of eradicating measles with appeared in the Journal of Infectious Disease.

Global Eradication of Measles: An Epidemiologic and Economic Evaluation

There was one supposed measles death in the US in recent years despite the fact that not everyone gets vaccinated. We are already at the point in the us where deaths from measles are nearly non existent. Focus your energy on something that matters instead of trying to control everyone to fit into your narrow vision of things. We are talking about measles in the US, not measles worldwide.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-06-2016 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: rude/personal

Old 01-05-2016, 08:34 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
All good then, since most of the country is vaccinated against measles, we can move on to addressing more pressing issues. This is not worthy of concern in 2016. There are a thousand issues ahead of it if saving lives are a concern.
Unless of course it's about something else......
The original post tells you why the drop in the measles vaccination rate is indeed worthy of concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Come on, Katrina, you know you do not have a 90% immunization rate of ALL Americans for ANYTHING right now. Mandating little children's vaccinations won't give you your precious Herd Immunity, and you KNOW it. Was Measles eradicated from the entire world? Hey, how many people whose vaccinations did not work, or horror, have waning adult immunity, will get on a plane and catch a disease from overseas? You are living in a dream world.

FYI, my last DIPTHERIA vaccination was in the 50s. Childhood vaccination! Problem SOLVED! I can get on a plane tomorrow and go anywhere in the world!

Go ahead. DEMAND and legislate your childhood vaccinations to solve all the problems. I will go about my merry way. You cannot see the forest for the trees.
The vaccination rate applies to people who are susceptible to the disease. People who are immune by virtue of having had the disease do not need to be vaccinated, though they contribute to herd immunity. You act as if you are revealing some dark secret about vaccines. Instead, you demonstrate an inability to understand the concept of herd immunity.

Yes, susceptible adults need to be vaccinated. Yes, the measles vaccine fails for a small number of people. However, if we get the vaccination rate as close to 100% as we can, the risk of outbreaks of measles in this country will remain low. It will not prevent isolated cases from being imported from other countries; it will prevent the disease from spreading.

Quote:
It is about is preventing illnesses that can kill and maim and preventing more outbreaks like the one that started at the Disney park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Oh, my dear, I am in my 60s and have gotten FOUR vaccinations in my life. YOUR vaccinations of today weren't even on the radar when I was a child or MY CHILDREN were young.

Humans have "somehow" managed to survive without your vaccines, AND medications, for millions of years, and will continue to. The question really is will we humans be able to survive WITH all your medical interventions? THAT is more the question. Drugged out Zombie Nations.
That's the whole point. Millions of people did not survive vaccine preventable diseases, including children who never got to reproduce and who left no descendants. That's why we have vaccines.

My son would be dead without "medical interventions". His leukemia would have killed him in a few weeks after he was diagnosed. For that matter, my granddaughter would have died if she had not been delivered by Cesarean section, another "medical intervention". Her umbilical cord was inserted abnormally into the placenta. I had surgery myself for a condition that would have been fatal - and agonizingly painful to boot - if not treated. There is a strong history of heart disease and stroke in my family. I take medications that reduce the risk I will die prematurely from either of those.

The fact is that the average life span of people in countries with access to "medical interventions" has increased dramatically. It's not a coincidence.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:54 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
You have a lot of big problems I've noticed by the way you start your posts in response to me and anyone who does not think like you.

There was one supposed measles death in the US in recent years despite the fact that not everyone gets vaccinated. We are already at the point in the us where deaths from measles are nearly non existent. Focus your energy on something that matters instead of trying to control everyone to fit into your narrow vision of things. We are talking about measles in the US, not measles worldwide.

Death from any vaccine preventable disease is (more than) typically caused by complications due to contracting the disease in the first place.

You absolutely DO need to talk about measles world wide - and for the simple reason that the population of the US has been highly vaccinated against measles for decades.

Herd immunity in the United States and other first world countries PROTECTS the unvaxed…. and will until the unvaxed outnumber the vaxed.

Quote:
Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available.

In 2014, there were 114, 900 measles deaths globally – about 314 deaths every day or 13 deaths every hour.

Measles vaccination resulted in a 79% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2014 worldwide.
In 2014, about 85% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 73% in 2000.

During 2000-2014, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 17.1 million deaths making measles vaccine one of the best buys in public health.
WHO | Measles

Yes, let's focus on what truly matters: Why is it that the majority of the population in the US have zero complications after any vaccination and others fall apart?

What is wrong with THEM? What is wrong with their immune systems? If a vax (any vax) truly triggered their reaction or demise? Why THEM and not millions of others?

Why aren't folks dropping off from the MMR in these countries where Measles is still a problem? Why are cases of Measles after vaccination, therefore death from not contracting Measles, declining?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:07 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
You have a lot of big problems I've noticed by the way you start your posts in response to me and anyone who does not think like you.

There was one supposed measles death in the US in recent years despite the fact that not everyone gets vaccinated. We are already at the point in the us where deaths form measles are nearly non existent. Focus your energy on something that matters instead o trying to control everyone to fit into your narrow vision of things. We are talking about measles in the US, not measles worldwide.
People can be severely ill from measles without dying from it.

There was indeed a death from measles last year. Nothing "supposed" about it. It was confirmed at autopsy.

The Disney outbreak:

Measles Outbreak — California, December 2014–February 2015

"Among the 110 California patients, 49 (45%) were unvaccinated; five (5%) had 1 dose of measles-containing vaccine, seven (6%) had 2 doses, one (1%) had 3 doses, 47 (43%) had unknown or undocumented vaccination status, and one (1%) had immunoglobulin G seropositivity documented, which indicates prior vaccination or measles infection at an undetermined time. Twelve of the unvaccinated patients were infants too young to be vaccinated. Among the 37 remaining vaccine-eligible patients, 28 (76% - see erratum) were intentionally unvaccinated because of personal beliefs, and one was on an alternative plan for vaccination. Among the 28 intentionally unvaccinated patients, 18 were children (aged <18 years), and 10 were adults. Patients range in age from 6 weeks to 70 years; the median age is 22 years. Among the 84 patients with known hospitalization status, 17 (20%) were hospitalized.

Try as you may to trivialize measles, it is a dangerous disease. It is preventable with a vaccine that is effective and has an extremely low risk of severe side effects.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
Quote:
Which is exactly why infants are going to start dying of those illnesses again in larger numbers if we don't catch up on vaccinations.
Quote:
I really wonder how many people would still live in the USA after 50 or so years if we simply stopped vaccinating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The original post tells you why the drop in the measles vaccination rate is indeed worthy of concern.
What if's aren't really a current event. Infants aren't dying of those illnesses in large numbers, in 50 years we could have no real increase in these illnesses.

People will get vaccines if they want, if they don't want them they won't, regardless of government intervention.

There are more important threats to our health at the moment. These numbers are not alarming, they certainly don't point to an epidemic in the making. State exemption levels low, national vaccination rates high | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC
I think our country will be survive despite the small number of people who don't vaccinate.

But if you insist on spreading the FEAR by all means, it's your right to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies