Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You guys don't understand how a "religious exemption" works.

Its different than a state that allows both a religious exemption and a personal exemption. What most anti-vaccine people really want is a "personal exemption" because as the video demonstrated they couldn't coherently explain their religious beliefs that oppose vaccination.

There is a term in the law known as "bonafide" and that term simply means that something has to be real, legitimate, and not trumped up. Those claiming a bonafide religious exemption are few in number because there are very religions that counsel their members to refuse vaccination.

If I were reviewing whether a religious exemption is bonafide or not there are a number of things I'd want to know for starters:

1. How long the person held these particular anti-vaccination beliefs.

2. What the religious source for the beliefs is.

3. If they could cite religious texts or authorities that support their particular views.

4. (Just like the official in the video asked) I would like a coherent explanation why they don't believe that God allowed vaccines to be developed, so that people could take them to prevent disease.

5. I would like them to name some other people who hold these same views for religious reasons.

6. Church attendance is not mandatory to claim such an exemption, but knowing about it would be helpful in determining whether the religious justification for the exemption really holds water or not.

I realize you object to this inquiry. However, the point is that you might have individual opposition to vaccination and might obtain an exemption for that purpose in states that recognize the individual exemption, but that it is not the same thing as a religious exemption. The distinction is important because a religious exemption is far narrower than a personal exemption is.
The fact is that world wide there are essentially no religions that absolutely forbid vaccination. That's where the claim for a "religious" exemption fails.

Religious Exemptions to Vaccines

A personal exemption just means that all you have to do is say you do not want to vaccinate. "I do not want to" is almost universally based on either misinformation about the benefits and risks of vaccines or a deliberate decision to rely on herd immunity while being totally aware of the risks and benefits: hide in the herd. The problem with the second option is that if too many people do it, the herd is too thin to provide protection. Those who want to hide in the herd should not (and would not, since they know vaccines are safe and effective, they just want to avoid any risk, no matter how tiny) be proselytizing against vaccination. Indeed "Dr. Bob" Sears advises non-vaccinating parents not to share with friends and neighbors what they are doing. Those who crusade against vaccines have been misled by the anti-vax gurus, many of whom have children with medical conditions, including autism, which they are desperately trying to blame on vaccines. They are looking for a reason for those conditions and refuse to accept that there is no evidence, in all but an infinitesimally small number of cases, that any vaccine is to blame.

The bottom line is that a "religious" exemption should not be acceptable for attendance at school. It's too often bogus, and if God told you (but not everyone at the church you attend) not to vaccinate, then find another way to educate your child.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:17 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Exclamation *

The videos I posted above Suzie are SPOT ON!!

Vaccines DID NOT COME FROM GOD,God would not want stuff that shouldnt be injected into someone,put in there!!!

Vaccines are a mistrust of the universe (God,etc) -- God gave us an IMMUNE SYSTEM to help us deal with things... VACCINES ARE MEANT TO WEAKEN THE IMMUNE SYSTEM AND CAUSE PEOPLE TO BE RELIANT ON BIG PHARMA!!!!!!!! ($$$$$$$$$$$$$ for them)

Its all a scam to get $$$$$$ by weakening peoples NATURAL IMMUNITY so they need more care.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman
Sure is saaaaaad alright...I woulda been interested in the interrogator describing HIS personal beliefs and deciphering them....In fact, had I been that woman ,I would have insisted on it before he got ANY answers to his questions from me.
Im sure the whole time the guy was only thinking about HIS BOTTOM LINE!!

Old 01-03-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The videos I posted above Suzie are SPOT ON!!

Vaccines DID NOT COME FROM GOD,God would not want stuff that shouldnt be injected into someone,put in there!!!

Vaccines are a mistrust of the universe (God,etc) -- God gave us an IMMUNE SYSTEM to help us deal with things... VACCINES ARE MEANT TO WEAKEN THE IMMUNE SYSTEM AND CAUSE PEOPLE TO BE RELIANT ON BIG PHARMA!!!!!!!! ($$$$$$$$$$$$$ for them)

Its all a scam to get $$$$$$ by weakening peoples NATURAL IMMUNITY so they need more care.........

Im sure the whole time the guy was only thinking about HIS BOTTOM LINE!!
You know what God wants? Really?

Do you take antibiotics?

"God gave us an IMMUNE SYSTEM to help us deal with things ...

That includes vaccines.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:46 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
http://www.floridahealth.gov/program...681-sample.pdf

This is Florida's form. As you can see, it is very broad and does not ask what your religion is.

A few months ago a Florida Congressman (R. Hays) proposed legislation, like California's, to eliminate this religious exemption. It was never voted on because he pulled his proposed bill. Probably because there was too much opposition. I used to work 1:1 with a child in school who had this Religious Exemption. He was not the only child in that class with this Religious Exemption. What Religion? Nobody's Business.

Certainly, as a school employee I did not need ANY exemption to vaccinations. No, I do not want that Hep. B vaccination, or a Flu Shot, or anything. End of Story.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:31 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think you're right Dude.....it might not have been at first...but it's definitely become that now.
I think the OP got bored and needed to open up another vaccine thread to feed their need. It's been a while....... The OP loves a good vaccine battle. These threads only lead to pages of arguments. They solve nothing. People are free to do what they want. They are still allowed to have their own thoughts on what's right for them. Go figure.

You drive a car which could kill me.
You own guns which could kill me.
You own a pool which could kill my child.
I could of course go on and on and on......

Anything could potentially kill me. That doesn't mean I want my choices removed because of it. Bacteria is proving more deadly, why not talk about our filthy hospitals instead.

"Restaurants and cruise ships are inspected for cleanliness. Food processing plants are tested for bacterial content on cutting boards and equipment. But hospitals, even operating rooms, are exempt. The Joint Commission, which inspects and accredits U.S. hospitals, doesn't measure cleanliness. Neither do most state health departments, nor the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

No wonder hospitals are dirty. New data presented in April at the annual meeting of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America documented the lack of hygiene in hospitals and its relationship to deadly infections."
Why Aren't Hospitals Cleaner? - CBS News

"Germ-coated. Sad to say, cleanliness is not a priority for hospital administrators or most medical professionals. A new University of Maryland study shows that 65 percent of physicians and other medical professionals admitted they hadn't washed their lab coat in at least a week, even though they knew it was dirty. Nearly 16 percent said they hadn't put on a clean lab coat in at least a month. Lab coats become covered in bacteria when doctors lean over the bedsides of patients who carry the organisms. Days later the bacteria are still alive, repeatedly contaminating doctors' hands and being carried to other patients."

Look, all this needs is some soap and water but we still can't manage to do it. More people die from infection then Measles. Enough said.

Priority check!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
http://www.floridahealth.gov/program...681-sample.pdf

This is Florida's form. As you can see, it is very broad and does not ask what your religion is.

A few months ago a Florida Congressman (R. Hays) proposed legislation, like California's, to eliminate this religious exemption. It was never voted on because he pulled his proposed bill. Probably because there was too much opposition. I used to work 1:1 with a child in school who had this Religious Exemption. He was not the only child in that class with this Religious Exemption. What Religion? Nobody's Business.

Certainly, as a school employee I did not need ANY exemption to vaccinations. No, I do not want that Hep. B vaccination, or a Flu Shot, or anything. End of Story.
Florida only gives religious and medical exemptions. Many people lie to get a religious exemption. Colorado gives personal and religious, and the vast, vast majority (93% by one count) are personal belief. Darn few are medical because there are so few real medical reasons to evade immunizations.
Colorado's Personal Belief Exemption Target Of New Report | KUNC

Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I think the OP got bored and needed to open up another vaccine thread to feed their need. It's been a while....... The OP loves a good vaccine battle. These threads only lead to pages of arguments. They solve nothing. People are free to do what they want. They are still allowed to have their own thoughts on what's right for them. Go figure.

You drive a car which could kill me.
You own guns which could kill me.
You own a pool which could kill my child.
I could of course go on and on and on......

Anything could potentially kill me. That doesn't mean I want my choices removed because of it. Bacteria is proving more deadly, why not talk about our filthy hospitals instead.

"Restaurants and cruise ships are inspected for cleanliness. Food processing plants are tested for bacterial content on cutting boards and equipment. But hospitals, even operating rooms, are exempt. The Joint Commission, which inspects and accredits U.S. hospitals, doesn't measure cleanliness. Neither do most state health departments, nor the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

No wonder hospitals are dirty. New data presented in April at the annual meeting of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America documented the lack of hygiene in hospitals and its relationship to deadly infections."
Why Aren't Hospitals Cleaner? - CBS News

"Germ-coated. Sad to say, cleanliness is not a priority for hospital administrators or most medical professionals. A new University of Maryland study shows that 65 percent of physicians and other medical professionals admitted they hadn't washed their lab coat in at least a week, even though they knew it was dirty. Nearly 16 percent said they hadn't put on a clean lab coat in at least a month. Lab coats become covered in bacteria when doctors lean over the bedsides of patients who carry the organisms. Days later the bacteria are still alive, repeatedly contaminating doctors' hands and being carried to other patients."

Look, all this needs is some soap and water but we still can't manage to do it. More people die from infection then Measles. Enough said.

Priority check!
1. Watch your personal attacks, PS!

2. Fellow readers, lurkers, etc: The last time this poster made such a post about how ridiculous this whole argument was, she followed up with over 30 posts in less than 24 hours, all anti-immunization.

3. Our society can certainly work on more than one problem at a time. None of these points about cars, guns, swimming pools, restaurants, cruise ships or hospitals have anything to do with vaccines; the first two have nothing to do with infectious disease at all. The "expose" link is from nine years ago, and is a copyright violation (more than 3 sentences).

Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
More people die from infection then Measles. Enough said. [/b]
Why is that? Because most of the country is vaccinated against measles!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
1. Watch your personal attacks, PS!

2. Fellow readers, lurkers, etc: The last time this poster made such a post about how ridiculous this whole argument was, she followed up with over 30 posts in less than 24 hours, all anti-immunization.

3. Our society can certainly work on more than one problem at a time. None of these points about cars, guns, swimming pools, restaurants, cruise ships or hospitals have anything to do with vaccines; the first two have nothing to do with infectious disease at all. The "expose" link is from nine years ago, and is a copyright violation (more than 3 sentences).
I'd like to add: I did not start this thread. I posted my link on another vaccine thread, and a mod spun it off into a separate thread.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I know a lot of people have used the argument that immunizations aren't required for camps, etc. Here's some news on that front:
Forbes Welcome (No Vaccination, No Camp)

After reading that article, it occurred to me that I have filled out many an immunization record on camp forms over the years. I do believe the Boy Scouts allow you to exempt.
BSA immunizations: What's required, what's recommended

Quote:
The BSA does allow Scouts and Scouters to participate in BSA activities without the required and recommended immunizations, but a medical alert will be marked on their medical forms. That’s so health officials can quickly quarantine or isolate them in the event of an emergency.

Those who chose not to receive the tetanus immunization are required to fill out a form releasing the BSA from liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies