Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:12 AM

124 posts, read 150,078 times

Advertisements

When people argue about low wages and a $15 minimum wage, the typical response is the low wage employee should just go back to school and learn a trade so they can earn more. Great idea but the low wage menial job still needs to be done by someone, so the newly trained worker will just be replaced by someone else.

Maybe 30% of full time jobs pay less than $15 an hour. Someone has got to do the low pay work, SO: Should the government pay welfare to the people who support a family on low income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,554,410 times
The government already does give them welfare.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,151,882 times
No.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:39 AM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
When people argue about low wages and a $15 minimum wage, the typical response is the low wage employee should just go back to school and learn a trade so they can earn more. Great idea but the low wage menial job still needs to be done by someone, so the newly trained worker will just be replaced by someone else.

Maybe 30% of full time jobs pay less than $15 an hour. Someone has got to do the low pay work, SO: Should the government pay welfare to the people who support a family on low income?

it is so easy-- it can be done,,, but not so easy- as long as we do not pay a living wage we will subsidize
there are a few lazy bums but contrary to popular belief most want to work and have their own

Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 AM

6,619 posts, read 5,019,870 times
Quote:

This is the disconnect that I see with people arguing that a minimum wage job is an entry level job, so if its not enough is because it shouldn't be enough. The problem is so many of our available jobs in this economy are entry level low wage, so whats the solution.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:29 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
This is the disconnect that I see with people arguing that a minimum wage job is an entry level job, so if its not enough is because it shouldn't be enough. The problem is so many of our available jobs in this economy are entry level low wage, so whats the solution.
this is key but you know the ones that are making good money JUST cant see it- because during their hard days-- they had something to jump to-- now a lot of that is GONE-- they don't believe it..

Old 10-28-2015, 05:04 PM

6,399 posts, read 6,290,199 times
I'd rather they be paid fairly.

But i guess those against that would rather the government take care of them.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:39 PM

296 posts, read 414,182 times
At least keep minimum wage indexed to inflation. I made $3.35/hour in 1979. That would be $9.67 in today's dollars. Most people could stay afloat in a cheap apartment.

As a side note, I wish boarding houses were allowed to thrive. Are there too many regulations to prevent this? Barney Fife lived in one on The Andy Griffith show in 1962.

If we give welfare payments to low wage workers, there are others who will benefit from this. If you ask a building contractor, what do you think the answer will be?

Old 10-31-2015, 05:59 PM

30,298 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:

Why can't they just get another job? I've worked 4 jobs at a time because I don't expect anyone to pay my way through life. Why can't others do that?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:14 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,175,446 times
Why should only low wage workers get welfare? What about high wage workers? Where's our welfare? This is a clear case of discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies