Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
People already do all those things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But the larger point is that there are still low-wage jobs being filled by low-wage workers, and that taxpayers are still being forced to bail out corporate executives and stockholders by picking up through income support programs a sizable chunk of labor costs that should have been paid within the private sector.
Why is that even necessary, though? Have a low income? Live with roommates to split living expenses, don't have children, don't waste money on tobacco, alcohol, pricey electronics, pricey clothing, etc.

There is absolutely no reason why low-income earners should be subsidized. Why can't they live within their means via the above suggestions? It CAN be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,677,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why can't they just get another job? I've worked 4 jobs at a time because I don't expect anyone to pay my way through life. Why can't others do that?
I also worked multiple jobs to make ends meet when I was younger. I have no problem with helping working people. What concerns me is seeing people younger than me, more able bodied, and healthier than I am not working and expecting others to provide for them.

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
well, several people I know work 15 hours a day, 6 days a week, they work on average 2-4 minimum wage jobs. This way, they can afford a simple one bedroom apartment and a somewhat decent living. It is doable.

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post

Should the government pay welfare to the people who support a family on low income?
No.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Since when is "You should have used birth control" a legitimate response to the needs of a single mother?
Is that a joke? Since when is one not responsible for their own actions?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Should government give welfare to low wage workers

It's a false question. Before the government can "give", it must "take" from those who earned it.

The real question is this.

Should government take food off one person's table and hand it to someone else?

Answer: NO
Exactly.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Didn't Darwin invent evolution so we wouldn't have to deal with this issue?
Yes, Darwin explained the theory of evolution, but liberals don't believe in it.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
People already do all those things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But the larger point is that there are still low-wage jobs being filled by low-wage workers, and that taxpayers are still being forced to bail out corporate executives and stockholders by picking up through income support programs a sizable chunk of labor costs that should have been paid within the private sector.
McJobs should be for the acne teen years, not held by prime of life adults. These jobs should be held months, not years.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
I think the word you're looking for is 'discover' but if you were making a point about intelligence prevailing then maybe you made a case but not the one you thought
But I did make one, right?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
When people argue about low wages and a $15 minimum wage, the typical response is the low wage employee should just go back to school and learn a trade so they can earn more. Great idea but the low wage menial job still needs to be done by someone, so the newly trained worker will just be replaced by someone else.

Maybe 30% of full time jobs pay less than $15 an hour. Someone has got to do the low pay work, SO: Should the government pay welfare to the people who support a family on low income?
No. Work or starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies