Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
When people argue about low wages and a $15 minimum wage, the typical response is the low wage employee should just go back to school and learn a trade so they can earn more.
Going back to school isn't even necessary to move up the income ladder. Just ask for more duties/assignments, observe those who are earning more than you at your place of employment and learn from them, etc. Increasing one's marketable skills doesn't always involve school. Initiative, purposefully acquired increases in skills and knowledge, and experience are frequently more valuable to employers than a diploma. That's why students who have worked internships in their field during their college years are hired more quickly than those who didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
do you know how many are single parents- and how many dead beat dads there are? and many are not poor people- but had husbands that do not how to keep-- in their pants -
Since when is birth control not readily available, cheap, and even free to people on Medicaid?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:47 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Going back to school isn't even necessary to move up the income ladder. Just ask for more duties/assignments, observe those who are earning more than you at your place of employment and learn from them, etc. Increasing one's marketable skills doesn't always involve school. Initiative, purposefully acquired increases in skills and knowledge, and experience are frequently more valuable to employers than a diploma. That's why students who have worked internships in their field during their college years are hired more quickly than those who didn't.
People already do all those things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But the larger point is that there are still low-wage jobs being filled by low-wage workers, and that taxpayers are still being forced to bail out corporate executives and stockholders by picking up through income support programs a sizable chunk of labor costs that should have been paid within the private sector.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:49 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Since when is birth control not readily available, cheap, and even free to people on Medicaid?
Since when is "You should have used birth control" a legitimate response to the needs of a single mother?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you don't live their lives and you do not know what is available or NOT-- to them -
don't doubt that there are people who have extenuating circumstances that make them unable to rise to the occasion but its funny that as the entitlement programs have expanded there are more and more of those types of people....

Old 11-01-2015, 08:08 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Should government give welfare to low wage workers

It's a false question. Before the government can "give", it must "take" from those who earned it.

The real question is this.

Should government take food off one person's table and hand it to someone else?

Answer: NO

Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Because they are not you.

I could probably come up with a list of 100 reasons from IQ to fatigue (a serious and underrated problem that can lead to everything from sleeping through every alarm to hitting a group of kids with car on commute)

But my usual response to the "why can't they do this" (which is a legit question that i used to ask myself before i knew better) is this:

I can touch my tongue to my nose so why can't you?

It's the exact same thing. We all have different limitations.

Most cannot. But you actually CAN if you have a surgeon cut the connection under your tongue.

I don't think as a country we should require people to mutilate themselves is order to get some help.
So getting another job is like having a surgeon alter your body?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:10 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Of course it should and while they're at it, they should take some of it back and give my business money because I don't think it's doing well enough. The Welfare circle goes round and round

Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times
Didn't Darwin invent evolution so we wouldn't have to deal with this issue?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Didn't Darwin invent evolution so we wouldn't have to deal with this issue?
I think the word you're looking for is 'discover' but if you were making a point about intelligence prevailing then maybe you made a case but not the one you thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies