Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why can't they just get another job? I've worked 4 jobs at a time because I don't expect anyone to pay my way through life. Why can't others do that?
I never worked 4, but I had 2 and my wife had two. We did what we had to, and paid the bills without help from anyone during those rough times. It's called responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:23 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,751 times
Another solution is not supporting companies that don't pay their employees enough. It would be much more ideal that businesses voluntarily pay people enough to survive.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:26 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,126,349 times
I had 2 jobs after I got divorced AND paid my own way through college to make a better life for myself. I'm sick of the free ride called welfare that the government already pays to the unmotivated. Having a low paying entry job is a great motivator to encourage you to work towards a higher paying job.....They need to quit whining & improve their life by spending time putting all of the energy they waste saying "oh poor me" and improve their life if they are unhappy.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:45 AM

6,398 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Quote:
Why can't they just get another job? I've worked 4 jobs at a time because I don't expect anyone to pay my way through life. Why can't others do that?
Because they are not you.

I could probably come up with a list of 100 reasons from IQ to fatigue (a serious and underrated problem that can lead to everything from sleeping through every alarm to hitting a group of kids with car on commute)

But my usual response to the "why can't they do this" (which is a legit question that i used to ask myself before i knew better) is this:

I can touch my tongue to my nose so why can't you?

It's the exact same thing. We all have different limitations.

Most cannot. But you actually CAN if you have a surgeon cut the connection under your tongue.

I don't think as a country we should require people to mutilate themselves is order to get some help.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:02 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,705,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Another solution is not supporting companies that don't pay their employees enough. It would be much more ideal that businesses voluntarily pay people enough to survive.
Stop going to Wal-Mart. They have a huge stake in keeping their wages low and having the taxpayers help their employees. Wal-Mart is the biggest beneficiary of the welfare system in the US, and their parking lots are full all the time.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 AM

30,279 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Because they are not you.

I could probably come up with a list of 100 reasons from IQ to fatigue (a serious and underrated problem that can lead to everything from sleeping through every alarm to hitting a group of kids with car on commute)

But my usual response to the "why can't they do this" (which is a legit question that i used to ask myself before i knew better) is this:

I can touch my tongue to my nose so why can't you?

It's the exact same thing. We all have different limitations.

Most cannot. But you actually CAN if you have a surgeon cut the connection under your tongue.

I don't think as a country we should require people to mutilate themselves is order to get some help.
You're comparing someone getting another job to a long tongue in your mouth? Seriously?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:30 AM

35,738 posts, read 21,093,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I never worked 4, but I had 2 and my wife had two. We did what we had to, and paid the bills without help from anyone during those rough times. It's called responsibility.

you don't live their lives and you do not know what is available or NOT-- to them -

Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Stop going to Wal-Mart. They have a huge stake in keeping their wages low and having the taxpayers help their employees. Wal-Mart is the biggest beneficiary of the welfare system in the US, and their parking lots are full all the time.

That is absurd-- all service incomes are about the same-- Publix --Winn Dixie, Macy- Dillards -- movie theaters -- restaurants - the military --ask them what they earn__

Old 11-01-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
do you know how many are single parents- and how many dead beat dads there are? and many are not poor people- but had husbands that do not how to keep-- in their pants -
do you know the average person gets real sick it is all over financially in 3 months?
there are entire small towns that have suffered HUGE loss because the Big corporation that sustained them all went to India??

I'm so sick of people judging people without living their truths TODAY not 50 yr ago. I went through it -came out of it and rose above it -- BUT I do not look down at those that cannot do what i did.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:52 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,186,366 times
Quote:
You're comparing someone getting another job to a long tongue in your mouth? Seriously?
That's your best reply? It misses the mark completely. All the corny bootstrapper, pat-yourself-on-the-back posts in the world aren't going to address any part of the problem at all.

The problem is that we are allowing corporations to externalize a part of their costs of production. It's the same as dumping toxic chemicals into a nearby waterway and expecting the taxpayer to come along and clean it all up. In a labor market devoid of unions or other balancing factors, market power lies all on the employer side of the table. New and existing low-wage workers have no power at all. They end up working for lower than subsistence wages, and the taxpayer again has to come along and make up the difference. This is like one of the bedrock basics of right-wing economics. Make room for higher profits and dividends by getting the taxpayer to pick up a part of the costs of production that rightly should have been born by shareholders and fat-cat corporate salary recipients.

People are going to have to decide how much longer they are going to put up with situations such as this. How have things really been going in America since 1980 or so when the Harvard Business School spin on things began to take hold? Have your medical and pension benefits been getting better? Is your job security improved? Or are you instead expected today to do more for less or else take a hike? Workers in general these days have quite a lot in common with low-wage workers, though many still refuse to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies