Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Assaulting and locking up people for victimless crimes *is* hurting people. And nearly all police do this.
I know cops that have let people go when a little pot was found on them. I know cops that were absolute dicks when a little pot was found also.

Quote:
Enforcing ordinances specifically designed to take money from people *is* hurting people. And nearly all police do this.
In the end part of this is societies fault. We could demand a change here and there are a few trying to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Police don't create laws.
They *choose* to enforce even bad ones.

This makes them hired thugs who choose to hurt people for a living.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I know cops that have let people go when a little pot was found on them. I know cops that were absolute dicks when a little pot was found also.

In the end part of this is societies fault. We could demand a change here and there are a few trying to do that.
But the fact remains that police *choose* to make a living enforcing these bad laws. That means they *choose* to hurt people for a living.

We've long established that "just following orders" is not an adequate defense.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Did you report them for taking money from people? If you did not, then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I know my friends never took any money from anybody, matter of fact, I don't even know this type of cops exists. (but then again, I am naive and lived a sheltered life according to you)

I am not a know it all, that is why I know that Not every cop is exactly the same.

My friends are all married, have kids, under 32, and contributory members in the society. Do they think bad cops exist? They do. They do their best to serve their communities and they obey their conscience. They deserve to be judged by their behaviors and be treated as individuals.

Your cop friends absolutely take money from people- by enforcing ordinances specifically designed to generate revenue (which is often the unused to fund the police). Without a badge, this would be robbery and/or extortion.

And I'm judging them for that behavior. I don't associate with people who rob and extort.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:54 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
But the fact remains that police *choose* to make a living enforcing these bad laws. That means they *choose* to hurt people for a living.

We've long established that "just following orders" is not an adequate defense.
Correct me if I am wrong here,

It seems like this is your argument

every cop will probably be required, over the course of his or her career, to initiate force: to issue traffic tickets, to detain an innocent suspect, to apprehend someone for a nonviolent crime. So while individual police officers may be good people off the job (they have families, friends, people they care for), in their professional roles, they are necessarily bad for liberty.

Certainly is a powerful argument, but it is also too simplistic.

Not everyone who initiates force is automatically immoral.

Morality is at least partly determined by intentions, rather than results.

an officer who initiates force may still provide a net gain for his “customers” (in this case, society at large). Imagine a cop hunting a serial killer.

Of course not all cops are good, many are abusive, bullying, or even racists. But there are bad apples in every single career field. The activities of bad police are becoming increasingly public, while heroic officers usually only make the local news.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Your cop friends absolutely take money from people- by enforcing ordinances specifically designed to generate revenue (which is often the unused to fund the police). Without a badge, this would be robbery and/or extortion.

And I'm judging them for that behavior. I don't associate with people who rob and extort.
All they've taken is a pay check. You can think whatever you want to think.

yes, you do associate with people who rob and extort (your words, not mine), You said you are going to take advantage them because they protect you, remember?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong here,

It seems like this is your argument

every cop will probably be required, over the course of his or her career, to initiate force: to issue traffic tickets, to detain an innocent suspect, to apprehend someone for a nonviolent crime. So while individual police officers may be good people off the job (they have families, friends, people they care for), in their professional roles, they are necessarily bad for liberty.

Certainly is a powerful argument, but it is also too simplistic.

Not everyone who initiates force is automatically immoral.

Morality is at least partly determined by intentions, rather than results.

an officer who initiates force may still provide a net gain for his “customers” (in this case, society at large). Imagine a cop hunting a serial killer.

Of course not all cops are good, many are abusive, bullying, or even racists. But there are bad apples in every single career field. The activities of bad police are becoming increasingly public, while heroic officers usually only make the local news.
Don't put words in my mouth. I've made my points... don't need you to invent them for me.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth. I've made my points... don't need you to invent them for me.
In order not to put words in your mouth, I posted "correct me if I am wrong here, it seems like..."

Don't be so defensive, the conversation can be a civilized conversation. At least, to me, it is.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
All they've taken is a pay check. You can think whatever you want to think.

yes, you do associate with people who rob and extort (your words, not mine), You said you are going to take advantage them because they protect you, remember?
They force people to pay up... for little more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They get paid for forcing people to pay money... under threat of assault and incarceration.

The only thing that distinguishes this action from extortion is their badge.

And yeah, if I ever need them to protect me then absolutely I'll get them to do so. I mean they've forced me and everybody else to pay their salary for our whole lives. If I can get anything out of them I won't hesitate to do so.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
They force people to pay up... for little more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They get paid for forcing people to pay money... under threat of assault and incarceration.

The only thing that distinguishes this action from extortion is their badge.

And yeah, if I ever need them to protect me then absolutely I'll get them to do so. I mean they've forced me and everybody else to pay their salary for our whole lives. If I can get anything out of them I won't hesitate to do so.
I think it is very unfortunate that we are unable to reach an agreement.

But it is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies