Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times

Advertisements

I'm still interested why no one feels a private police force is a good idea? I mean we can point fingers all day about private police forces doing things, but it really pales in comparison to anything you've seen from a public police force. And the key thing is you have a real choice in who is in power. But the minute you talk about privatizing the police, people want to jump down your throat, and poke holes in the system. All while admitting but defending the hopeful public police system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:24 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm still interested why no one feels a private police force is a good idea? I mean we can point fingers all day about private police forces doing things, but it really pales in comparison to anything you've seen from a public police force. And the key thing is you have a real choice in who is in power. But the minute you talk about privatizing the police, people want to jump down your throat, and poke holes in the system. All while admitting but defending the hopeful public police system.

well, In theory, the idea of contracting public services to private companies to cut costs makes sense. If someone is willing to fix streets or put out fires for less money, that should be a plus for a government’s bottom line.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, In theory, the idea of contracting public services to private companies to cut costs makes sense. If someone is willing to fix streets or put out fires for less money, that should be a plus for a government’s bottom line.
Actually the benefit of the private system is to NOT mirror the public system. There is no reason why there can't exist various models. There can definitely be models that definitely resemble the public model in some way. But I think if people want the option not to even use any sort of law enforcement, that should also be their right. I feel it needs to be a system that people can pay for if they WANT IT. It don't believe it should be done via taxes. That is subsidizing, and that's actually not all that much better than a public system. We want to move away from a monolithic "one size fit all" form of policing.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Actually the benefit of the private system is to NOT mirror the public system. There is no reason why there can't exist various models. There can definitely be models that definitely resemble the public model in some way. But I think if people want the option not to even use any sort of law enforcement, that should also be their right. I feel it needs to be a system that people can pay for if they WANT IT. It don't believe it should be done via taxes. That is subsidizing, and that's actually not all that much better than a public system. We want to move away from a monolithic "one size fit all" form of policing.
yeah Interesting theory.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:31 AM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
I am a black man, who is definitely against police brutality. But when you think about it, the black lives matter crowd almost never make any real demands. It's cyclical. Something happens, they react (emotionally), march, pray, and sometimes loot. But when you think about it, there is no agenda. Black Lives Matter is a completely emotional kneejerk movement that does not solve any of the bigger problems in American society.

The biggest issue not just for black Americans, but Americans as a whole is police brutality. The main issue is that we can't fire the police department. We're force to still pay taxes for police with an increasing "us vs them" mentality. We're paying for a service that doesn't serve us. Instead of asking for reform, we continue to beg the government for fairness, when clearly fairness is not apart of the government's agenda. And to make matters worse, there is an entire market for law enforcement that is untapped because we love to beg the government.

As a result, Black Lives Matter should not be a black movement but an American movement. It should be a movement where we reform the police departments in our respective cities and towns. And we put the police force out of business, and replace them with private police that we can fire if we feel we're not getting what we paid for.

We need to promote consumer choice instead of government dependency.

The BLM problem is that it's not an organization. Anyone with a Twitter or Facebook account who gets outraged about an event can claim to be a "chapter" of BLM. So there is no real consistency of a BLM message, except outrage.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:39 AM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Of course not all cops are good, many are abusive, bullying, or even racists. But there are bad apples in every single career field. The activities of bad police are becoming increasingly public, while heroic officers usually only make the local news.
As has been said in other places before, the irritant is not that a few police may be "bad," but that the way the system works requires the "good" officers--and they organization--to protect the "bad" ones rather than to root them out.

This is largely real but also substantially perceptual. When a police killing occurs, the bureaucracy has a choice of presenting a thorough and transparent investigation...or making a quick and secret judgment of "justified."

That is a problem of Pournelle's Iron Rule of Bureaucracy...that the bureaucracy will ultimately be controlled by people who are working only for the benefit of the bureaucracy, rather than people who uphold the ideals of the bureaucracy.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As has been said in other places before, the irritant is not that a few police may be "bad," but that the way the system works requires the "good" officers--and they organization--to protect the "bad" ones rather than to root them out.

This is largely real but also substantially perceptual. When a police killing occurs, the bureaucracy has a choice of presenting a thorough and transparent investigation...or making a quick and secret judgment of "justified."

That is a problem of Pournelle's Iron Rule of Bureaucracy...that the bureaucracy will ultimately be controlled by people who are working only for the benefit of the bureaucracy, rather than people who uphold the ideals of the bureaucracy.
I agree with you.

good police walk lock-step with any directive made by union officials who make every effort to protect bad police officers. Law enforcement accepts this to go along to get along strategy which sounds preposterous.

Good police officers have every right to complain about men and women who violate the honorable code connected to their badge.

I don't know the percentage of bad cops, but I read it somewhere it is 1%

Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I agree with you.

good police walk lock-step with any directive made by union officials who make every effort to protect bad police officers. Law enforcement accepts this to go along to get along strategy which sounds preposterous.

Good police officers have every right to complain about men and women who violate the honorable code connected to their badge.

I don't know the percentage of bad cops, but I read it somewhere it is 1%
Any number concerning bad vs good cops would be bogus. I'm pretty sure small towns are loaded with bad cops, but you'd probably never know it unless you lived there. Big city cops are under the radar more, but you have to really look at it by a neighborhood by neighborhood basis. Are the cops you see hanging out in Time Square dirty? Eh probably not. Hanging out on the deep in of the south Bronx where no tourist would ever go, you bet they more than likely are.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Any number concerning bad vs good cops would be bogus. I'm pretty sure small towns are loaded with bad cops, but you'd probably never know it unless you lived there. Big city cops are under the radar more, but you have to really look at it by a neighborhood by neighborhood basis. Are the cops you see hanging out in Time Square dirty? Eh probably not. Hanging out on the deep in of the south Bronx where no tourist would ever go, you bet they more than likely are.
Probably.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
I am a black man, who is definitely against police brutality. But when you think about it, the black lives matter crowd almost never make any real demands. It's cyclical. Something happens, they react (emotionally), march, pray, and sometimes loot. But when you think about it, there is no agenda. Black Lives Matter is a completely emotional kneejerk movement that does not solve any of the bigger problems in American society.

The biggest issue not just for black Americans, but Americans as a whole is police brutality. The main issue is that we can't fire the police department. We're force to still pay taxes for police with an increasing "us vs them" mentality. We're paying for a service that doesn't serve us. Instead of asking for reform, we continue to beg the government for fairness, when clearly fairness is not apart of the government's agenda. And to make matters worse, there is an entire market for law enforcement that is untapped because we love to beg the government.

As a result, Black Lives Matter should not be a black movement but an American movement. It should be a movement where we reform the police departments in our respective cities and towns. And we put the police force out of business, and replace them with private police that we can fire if we feel we're not getting what we paid for.

We need to promote consumer choice instead of government dependency.
I agree that BLM is not focused. It is one of my main gripes about them. However, I do think in some areas across the country that they have made a difference just in highlighting the inequities present in law enforcement.

Yet, again, I think they are unfocused and that as a group they will dissolve with a few years similar to the "Occupy" movement.

I also agree with you that police reform should be a goal for all Americans. Even though I have no issue with the title of the group including the word "Black" I feel that police brutality is something that is possible for all American groups.

Unfortunately, too many people see the word "black" and automatically, like BLM, take an emotional response. IMO, internalized biases is a huge issue in our country in regards to race and especially when it comes to black Americans. And IMO too often, too many white Americans today want to act like discrimination or inequalities based on race are no longer around because they heard the "I have a dream speech." Or that is black people mention any sort of disparate treatment, many white people take the black person's comment as a personal attack on them as an individual instead of realizing it is a sociological and systematic issue and that they can be a part of the solution instead of becoming defensive and claiming some sort of faux outrage or victimization status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies