Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

: Protesters chant outside Rahm Emanuel’s house, demand resignation

VIDEO: Protesters chant outside Rahm Emanuel’s house, demand resignation | The American Mirror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:53 AM

Private justice system results.

Mom blames son's suicide on Luzerne County judge in 'kids for cash' case | PennLive.com

Old 12-31-2015, 04:01 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No one made a law that calls for an officer to shoot someone in the back for being wanted on back child support.
and no one is making excuses for these cops. ALL COPS are bad, really? Get real.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:31 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I mean torture. And I'm not mincing words:

Read about what your every-day good ol' police officers did to people for exercising their First Amendment rights and engaging in illegal camping (the horror!):

People Locked in Tiny Cages, Crying in Pain: What I Saw and Heard When the LAPD Threw Me in Jail for Exercising My Right to Protest the Oligarchy | Alternet

Have you ever known anybody to spend time in jail? Not just overnight in the drunk tank... I mean months or years? I have. She was raped routinely by officers.

Anybody who works as a cop knows about these practices- they're routine. Anybody who works as a cop either participates in this or protects those who do. Period.

Would you like examples of routine assault, intimidation, harassment, robbery, and murder? I can give plenty if you like- but you can google just as well as I can.

By the way- police are not some oppressed class just trying to make a living. They deliberately choose to work in the meat-grinder and degrade their fellow humans for a living. They choose to show up every morning and accept the monstrous injustice that they encounter and participate in daily. They deserve no sympathy.
With all due respect, you have no idea how difficult of a job it is to be a good, effective police officer.

The general populace can be rotten to the core. Yet the job of police officers is to serve and protect the community while simultaneously dealing with those trying to cause trouble.

Of course there are police officers who don't do the right things. But saying that they're part of a system to harass people and make their lives awful is quite insulting and offensive to the many cops out there who are trying their best to actually serve the public.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:44 AM

811 posts, read 551,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
With all due respect, you have no idea how difficult of a job it is to be a good, effective police officer.

The general populace can be rotten to the core. Yet the job of police officers is to serve and protect the community while simultaneously dealing with those trying to cause trouble.

Of course there are police officers who don't do the right things. But saying that they're part of a system to harass people and make their lives awful is quite insulting and offensive to the many cops out there who are trying their best to actually serve the public.
I agree with you and come from the same angle you do for the most part, but at the last bit I disagree.

We do live in a system where law enforcement is tied and connected to revenue for politicians which creates a bad outcome. I'm not sure if you have looked into the prison industrial complex, but owning and running a prison is a business and you could own one if you had the money too.

So look at the equation: For your prison to stay open and running, you have to have prisoners in it. What is the way you do that? By maybe sliding a few bucks to your local politicians that can pass some more nonsense laws which in turn can make sure the police officers under them follow it to put more people in jail. It's all a cycle, the police stay above water because the politicians create the new laws they have to enforce and stay in office while probably accepting bribes from the prison owners who need their prison to stay open.
Michael Jordan himself, has owned shares in prisons. Why do you think he does that? Because he knows what people in the hood have done to get his shoes.

Look at how it is a new law for people to be riding those hoverboard scooters around. Not sure where you're from, but in my city most of the kids who've used it are kids of color. Meanwhile in the suburbs razor scooters and skateboards are allowed, but you want to give fines and arrest kids on the hoverboards?

Many cops have good-hearts as you said, but even they know personally that they're in a system that isn't exactly the best. If you don't think so, remember the "Blue Code" wouldn't exist if that wasn't the case.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post

Many cops have good-hearts as you said, but even they know personally that they're in a system that isn't exactly the best. If you don't think so, remember the "Blue Code" wouldn't exist if that wasn't the case.
which "system" is exactly the best?!

I am not here to defend bad apple cops, but I want to share something regarding the topic of policing and police brutality.

consider this:

Sir Robert Peel back in 1829 created a police force because society was becoming more complex as a result of the industrial revolution but also to avoid having to use the military to deal with civil disorder. So in short, the police force purpose is to keep law and order and arrest offenders.

Let's face it, police officers are doing something other people don't want to do. When others say it is too dangerous aka too violent or when others say it is not in my job description or we’re going on strike it is the police force which is asked to intervene. In many countries in the world this has a very sinister side with police forces, many paramilitary in style, enforcing the will of a dictatorship against the majority.

I am not saying "the system" is perfect, I would even say the system is very flawed, but Policing is a disciplined service and officers and required to obey lawful orders. There has been limited room for officers to object to the methods being used or to object to what they are being asked to do. When you are dealing with a major disturbance on the street there isn’t time for a case conference about it.

I think the rise of warrior cops is very dangerous, I also believe policing in America needs some serious reform, the police need to be more transparent about what they are doing but there also needs to be the legislation to cover police doing the things the public expect them to investigate crime and deal with disorder.

Like I posted earlier, police officers shoot to KILL, they don't shoot to WOUND. This being said,

Officers are trained to assess the risk before firing,but often a situation escalates quickly.

The legal justification for deadly force by police is informed by the 1985 Supreme Court ruling in Tennessee v. Garner, in which a pair of police officers fatally shot a 15-year-old boy after he fled from a burglary. It turned out the boy had stolen a purse and just $10 from a house, and the Court ruled that a police officer may only use deadly force to prevent the escape of a violent felon.

Why Do Cops So Often Shoot To Kill?

Some law enforcement officials said the question of whether officers should shoot to wound or kill misses the point. Officers are often forced to make a split-second decision and are trained to try and deescalate the situation before firing.

Look, I am NOT here to defend warrior bad cops, No, I am not. But I do wonder,

who really create this us. vs them mentality?

Why is it justified to paint all police officers with one broad brush? especially white officers? Why is it justified to say " "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon,"

Communities rely on police departments to "protect and serve" and the police, in turn, rely on community support and cooperation, obviously the relationship is not always harmonious. I suspect racism has very little to do with the disconnection between police officers and poor minority communities.

in my humble opinion, not many really care about black Americans, they care about proving a point.
The pattern will continue and nothing will get better, until we learn that police officers are not the ones who destroy black communities.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and no one is making excuses for these cops. ALL COPS are bad, really? Get real.
Perhaps you can point out where I said that and then you can address my actual point.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:

The system is designed as you say but then it is also designed to protect the police officers who do not do the right things.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you can point out where I said that and then you can address my actual point.
Quote:
The system is designed as you say but then it is also designed to protect the police officers who do not do the right things.
with all due respect, people like you often make matters worse, not better. All you do is blame.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:55 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Quote:

I don't care how difficult it is. They're the ones who choose to enforce victimless crime (aka hurt people for a living). They're the ones who choose to put people into for-profit prisons and enforce ordinances specifically designed to take money from people (aka kidnapping and robbery).

They're the ones who defend their 'brothers' who kill children, rape women, assault the elderly, handicapped, and injured.

So yeah, I hope it IS a brutal and thankless job. I hope that after a career of ruining lives, they're a shell of the human they used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies