Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 03:44 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,101,072 times

Advertisements

Old 01-05-2016, 04:44 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Domestic terrorists and their apologists abound. No surprises here.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
The mistake the Fed's made with the last nut job to try this was that they didn't follow through on charges for threatening a law enforcement officer, nor ever collect the funds due from allowing the farmer to graze his cattle on public lands.

That is likely noted and not liable to happen again this time.

Leave them in there until a few freeze to death; collect the bodies in the spring; jail anyone who is left; sue the estates for the grazing fees and cost of cleaning up their mess.

Zero tolerance for these sorts of terrorists.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:17 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The mistake the Fed's made with the last nut job to try this was that they didn't follow through on charges for threatening a law enforcement officer, nor ever collect the funds due from allowing the farmer to graze his cattle on public lands.
I think the situation with the Bundys is a classic application of the saying "Give them an inch, and they will take a mile".

Ideally, the Bundy range fee situation should have been resolved with confiscation of his cattle and his arrest last year. Needless to say, the internet is a very powerful communication tool. I don't think, however, that law enforcement appreciated how fast and to what extent minute by minute updates sent to far right blogs, forums, e mail lists etc. could mobilize dozens, then scores, then possibly hundreds of armed supporters.

Hopefully, they can put jammers around the buildings that prevent communication to any potential supporters. Also, the Bundy ranch and round up site was harder to control and allowed people to come, give "juice up" support, get information, then leave and disseminate it. I doubt anybody is going to be allowed to enter and leave this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The feds will simply wait them out at a far distance, and get all their cell phone addresses and any other electronic addresses, and then go track them down after they give it up.
If they don't trash the place, the only things they can be charged with are misdemeanors, but even a misdemeanor can send a convicted felon back to prison. For those who aren't felons, getting slapped with a big fine will be painful, and having a misdemeanor record tag won't help them any either.

My guess is the dumbest of them will last 2 weeks. And then they'll all have to bum some money to go back home again, sadder but a bit wiser. And the Bundys won't be their darlings anymore.
Very well said.

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-05-2016 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
Ranching on public lands out west needs to end or at the very least stop being subsidized. I used to live in a remote area out west that was a free range cattle state that backed up to federal and state lands. The amount of damage cattle does in a short period of time on fragile high desert lands is mind blowing. It's amazing with all the enviornmental laws and regulations that people are still allowed to graze cattle on public lands.

Between polluting the water quality, ranch roads and barbed wire fences cutting across the land, damage to the native vegetation, etc is really hard on arid western lands. This is just my observation with no scientific fact behind it but, I would venture to say that a section of western land that had cattle on it would take dozens of years, if not longer, to fully recover to a pristine state.

I'm not against ranching per say, I just don't like how they can literally destroy the land, and then claim to care about it. There are plenty of large parcels of private land for sale for ranchers to buy. Destroying public land, taking federal money and subsidies, and then claiming to be a rugged independent libertarian rancher tough guy is laughable.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
6.7traveler: Thank you for that easy-to-understand explanation of what this whole thing is about. I have only read the situation as it stands right now. But never the beginning of it.

I know, I need to get out more and read more. After this, I no doubt will make the effort.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:39 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
The U.S. Park Service plans to cut off power to the building the occupiers have taken over. Snow storms are forecast for the area on Tuesday, with temperatures dropping to the teens by Tuesday night.

"After they shut off the power, they’ll kill the phone service,” the government official added. “Then they’ll block all the roads so that all those guys have a long, lonely winter to think about what they’ve done.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-power-cut-off

This is exactly how this should be handled. Let's see what these tough guys are really made of.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:41 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Ammon Bundy may have sworn he will occupy peacefully for as long as it takes, even if it takes years, but one of the Bundy Bunch has already tweeted a call for snacks. He asked them to be delivered to the local Post Office.
The revolution will be televised!

But only if someone sends us some Funyons...

Old 01-05-2016, 07:43 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Why is it so important to people to have them identified as terrorists? Because they are viewed as right wing?
If it makes people feel good to call them that big deal but don't try to equate them with real terrorists like ISIS. Mass murders, beheading, etc. as opposed to taking over an empty building.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:44 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The U.S. Park Service plans to cut off power to the building the occupiers have taken over. Snow storms are forecast for the area on Tuesday, with temperatures dropping to the teens by Tuesday night.

"After they shut off the power, they’ll kill the phone service,” the government official added. “Then they’ll block all the roads so that all those guys have a long, lonely winter to think about what they’ve done.”

Authorities plan to cut off power to militia at occupied Oregon refuge | US news | The Guardian

This is exactly how this should be handled. Let's see what these tough guys are really made of.
Sounds like this is how it should be handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies