Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
The plural of anecdote is not data.
Hey, I was asked about what I based MY opinion on. If you do not like my anecdotes don't ask about MY opinion. Is that really that hard?
Quote:
I've only been part of the gun culture for 20 years or so, but I can say with confidence that I have NEVER met someone blubbering over a gun. Not once. Poor muzzle control? Sure. A tear of pain from scope kiss? Yep. What you described though? Never.
I have never personally met some buddy who blubbered over a gun but I have met people whose self esteem was based on guns. I am not sure if that is the proper phrasing so if the semantics police want to fight again they should resolve their other issues first.
Quote:
NHDave is not wrong. Scripted = not real.
But TV Shows are real. And not everything on scripted reality shows is scripted. It is why they are reality shows as opposed to sitcoms or sports. I think they do that to save on the production costs.
Quote:
That's very different from saying TV shows don't exist, you're really reaching if you're arguing the latter.
I usually would not but NHDave wanted to play semantics....well until he could not play anymore.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:41 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Having a gun doesnt automatically grant one immunity to theft/robbery. What one really needs to do is learn the art of Krav Maga, to disable an attacker, THEN use your gun as a means of escape and/or intimidation.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Hey, I was asked about what I based MY opinion on. If you do not like my anecdotes don't ask about MY opinion. Is that really that hard?
Attempting to portray anecdotes as data reduces your opinion to nothingness.

Now if you had said, I dont like gun culture because x% are members of the NRA you would have a reasoning and a backing. Saying you dont like gun culture because a person on tv said something one time and is therefore representative of all gun culture is just LOL worthy.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Being alone in bear country unarmed does not sound like my idea of a good time. But I am a chicken.

Glad you are tough enough not to worry about it.
Not a huge bear fan but in reality a lot of pistols would not be very effective against a bear.

My dad had a .45-70 Contender that may help, but I would not want to rely on it.

The most scared I have ever been in the woods was about 3 AM in the morning and there were two of us at a fire serving as an objective and we heard wild dogs. We had 30 blanks a piece. Now you can fire a blank but I would not want to depend on it as a defense against a large pack of dogs as you would be lucky to even injure a dog that way.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Attempting to portray anecdotes as data reduces your opinion to nothingness.

Now if you had said, I dont like gun culture because x% are members of the NRA you would have a reasoning and a backing. Saying you dont like gun culture because a person on tv said something one time is just LOL worthy.
Yes, but I clarified that I do not base my opinion on that one person. I have clarified that several times as I felt my original statement was clear.

Why do you keep coming back to that? Are you that desperate dpm1?

And what do you base your opinions on? You do not use life experience?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Not a huge bear fan but in reality a lot of pistols would not be very effective against a bear.

My dad had a .45-70 Contender that may help, but I would not want to rely on it.

The most scared I have ever been in the woods was about 3 AM in the morning and there were two of us at a fire serving as an objective and we heard wild dogs. We had 30 blanks a piece. Now you can fire a blank but I would not want to depend on it as a defense against a large pack of dogs as you would be lucky to even injure a dog that way.
So why are you mocking a person that was afraid of being unarmed in bear country again?

Blanks? Why blanks?

A number of handguns would be adequate against bear. A Redhawk in 44mag comes to mind. Obviously a .22 would not be an adequate defensive caliber against a bear.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:

And what do you base your opinions on? You do not use life experience?
Watching a TV show does not qualify as life experience.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:54 AM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Defensive much?
1-I never said guns were never the answer-I used to carry in America. What does your link have to do with the OP? Two different scenarios
2-Point is, he had his gun on him and was robbed nonetheless by being careless, who cares if he open carrying or what, point is, it's too easy in america for those careless types to get access to guns
3- as far as the dress provocatively comment, of course not, but that in no way has anything to do with the story, and the fact that you even equate that scenario and some careless gun owner says all I need to know about you and how you think-or don;t think.
Who is this "he" you speak of? This never happened...it is the fictional work of someone playing to his audience. This is nothing more than a troll thread.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Obviously a .22 would not be an adequate defensive caliber against a bear.
What .22 Rifle did Bella Twin use to Kill a World Record Grizzly in 1953?

However, if I were faced by a bear, a 22 would not be my choice of caliber.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:09 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,890,666 times
[quote=Listener2307;42515033]
Quote:
......was displaying his brand-new Walther P22 handgun to his cousin at about 2 A.M.[/QUOTE

A proper "gun nut" would unload the gun before displaying it to someone. If anyone wants to see my gun, I will hand it to them only after dropping the magazine and jacking the one out of the chamber.

A proper gunphobe would not know any of this and would precede any inane comments he may have with LMAO.
If you're showing your brand-new Walther P22 outside of your home to your cousin, it's crazy... Do it by all means inside!

If you're asked for a cigarette while displaying that Walther P22, or just at any time... Or not a cigarette, but a light, or anything really - it could be a genuine request, or a pretext to get into your private space with your guards down. So, if you ever hear that request, your hand must be on a gun, you must assess the situation and your surroundings and be ready to fight hand combat (against potentially a knife or another handgun). Or you may throw a pack of cigarettes to the guy and ask to politely get a few but not try to get close to you. Or maybe just "I don't smoke" or "no" would be enough of an answer.

Anyways, the guy must be on his high alert once he was asked for a cigarette and he wasn't. Situational readiness is more important for self-defense than access to a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies