Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Did it ever occur to you that having (legal) access to mj might actually save some from getting addicted to pain killers and/or heroin?

In my case mj has saved me from a lifetime of alcoholism. There are also countless others that did the illegal thing and self-medicated with mj. They are not hooked on prescriptions or heroin as a result, just like I'm not hooked on alcohol! Definitely a win-win situation (except for big pharma).

On the other hand, prohibition has been extremely damaging, costly, and millions have lost their life.

Finally, have you noticed the lack of mj-related news stories coming out of Colorado, Washington, Oregon, and Alaska? That is because we are doing just fine here, thank you very much. Look for many more states to legalize in the near future.
It does, but they don't want to talk about that.

"America has a major problem with prescription pain medications like Vicodin and OxyContin. Overdose deaths from these pharmaceutical opioids have approximately tripled since 1991, and every day 46 people die of such overdoses in the United States.

However, in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually."

http://www.newsweek.com/states-medic...drop-25-266577
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Pot is a gateway to opioids.

Of course not all recreational pot users seek opioids.

Yet almost all addicted to opioids/ opiates began their journey with pot.

sorry alcohol is the gateway to most hard drugs..

Old 01-18-2016, 12:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Well here we are. You post "studies" and we say they are falsified. We post studies, and you say they are falsified.

How are we supposed to get past that hurdle, since you also won't take first-hand accounts and evidence into account?

A complete waste of time, trying to change the position of a prohibitionist.
The CATO study WAS falsified. That is a matter of fact, not fiction. However, pot causing heart arrhythmia and other disorders is a fact. It is also a fact that pot use had doubled in the past years.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep, no use arguing with the intellectually dishonest. The majority of people now are against the destructive war on "drugs" and outlawing an ancient herb that has been used by every human civilization in history.

The recent heroin epidemic has everything to do with oxycontin and the massive surge in legal opiod prescriptions.
Marijuana can actually be used as a tool to combat this epidemic, so people that continue to focus on the herb are dangerously contributing to the problem.
The poppy, which is what opioids are made from is also an ancient herb that has been used by people thousands of years. Should that somehow mean it is harmless? Well, it's not.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:35 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The poppy, which is what opioids are made from is also an ancient herb that has been used by people thousands of years. Should that somehow mean it is harmless? Well, it's not.

comparing the poppy to marijuana is like comparing bud light beer to 151 rum..

Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
comparing the poppy to marijuana is like comparing bud light beer to 151 rum..
I think you flipped the bud light beer and 151 rum.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That's cute, blaming Obama for someone's drug overdose.
The left blamed Bush for the homeless, people over extending their credit, and everything else under the sun, crime, and everything else under the sun...

just saying

Old 01-18-2016, 12:44 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
No, many have died of marijuana induced heart arrhythmia. Lets not fool ourselves. Pot is not harmless.
You posted this in another thread and when asked to provide some cases as evidence you ran away.

I'm going to give you a second chance, Finny. Provide some instances where people used cannabis and then keeled over dead from arrhythmia.

Here's your chance if you want to be taken seriously.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:52 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
The CATO study WAS falsified. That is a matter of fact, not fiction. However, pot causing heart arrhythmia and other disorders is a fact. It is also a fact that pot use had doubled in the past years.

Thank you for proving my point.

There are many millions of pot users in this country that are in the closet that no one knows about. At this point in time there just isn't any way to tell if it is 20 million, 50 million, or 100 million. That alone makes it IMPOSSIBLE to determine whether usage has doubled or not. There is no baseline to compare it to.

If you don't believe there are that many millions of cannabis users in this country, and that there has been for decades, then look at some old news reels about large marijuana busts. We are talking tons. And tons. Every year. Even so, the agents fully admit that what they are snagging is only the tip of the ice burg. In fact, I can recall from the 70's that every time a major bust happened, it seemed to disrupt the supply chain very little.

It takes a lot of people smoking it to consume so many tons per year.

Additionally, since there are so many millions, if only .001% of them were dying because heart arrhythmias then they would be dying by the 1000's. Every year. But they're not. If they were, the medical community would know about it. You are grasping at air on this one.

But you don't care about any of that, do you? In fact, I doubt you even read through the above, because you knew ahead of time that no matter what it says, you will disagree with it and ignore it anyway.

I will continue on, now with even more vigor thanks to you, fighting against basically everything you stand for.

But, while I have your ear, I would like to ask you a question. If, many years from now, you look back and realize pot wasn't anything like what you thought it was, and that it really was all just a bunch of propaganda that you used to try to protect your income, will you be remorseful at all?

Last edited by Raddo; 01-18-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 01:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
One of my mom's friend's son OD'ed on marijuana. When they found him, his hands were still clutching a bong. All thanks to Obama not enforcing our nation's drugs laws.

RIP Steve. You will be missed.
OD on marijuana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies