Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Oh, well THAT explains it. But now, I guess it's time to stop prescribing pain meds to everyone.
There is probably a golden mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The gate to the world of drugs has been swung wide open by the pro-marijuana movement, and the nation is paying the price.
Sorry but it is not marijuana that is causing this, it is the DEA cracking down hard on prescription pain killers, many of the people who were once addicted to prescription drugs are turning to heroin to get a similar high and pain relief. Those are the people who are Oding at a high rate now as they do not know how to properly take the illegal drugs and control themselves. I have been following the stories closely as my wife has arthritis in her back and disk degeneration, they closely monitor her prescriptions, even asking her to bring in her pills when she goes for physical therapy so they can make sure she is not taking extras.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,120,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Oh, well THAT explains it. But now, I guess it's time to stop prescribing pain meds to everyone.
just part of the problem.. think afghanistan, think heroin

Old 01-17-2016, 02:23 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Sorry but it is not marijuana that is causing this, it is the DEA cracking down hard on prescription pain killers, many of the people who were once addicted to prescription drugs are turning to heroin to get a similar high and pain relief. Those are the people who are Oding at a high rate now as they do not know how to properly take the illegal drugs and control themselves. I have been following the stories closely as my wife has arthritis in her back and disk degeneration, they closely monitor her prescriptions, even asking her to bring in her pills when she goes for physical therapy so they can make sure she is not taking extras.
jwiley nailed it. The problem is heroin, not mj. The heroin problem is as bad as it is because of exactly what jwiley described.

If anything, many that got hooked on prescription pain meds could have avoided it if their doctor had been allowed to prescribe cannabis instead.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:29 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Lot of kids these days use pills, which they buy from the street dealers, and practically all of them started with pot.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
My wife is from rural Indiana, a place with a lot of drug problems. Over a dozen people she graduated with have spent time in jail for meth or heroin production. Another was a heroin addict who got shot to death by police near my place of work, he trying to rob people brandishing a bb gun. Last week one died of an overdose, leaving behind three children. In America's poorest rural counties a generation is being obliterated on a scale similar to what urban America experienced with crack in the 1980s.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:35 PM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
My half uncle (a white guy) died from accidental prescription drug overdose. He was in a lot of pain. He also made a lot of money. He was the ladies man and always appeared to be so happy, but he never talked about his problem. Too much pride I guess. I love him and still miss him everyday.

My current boyfriend's brother died from a drug overdose at age of 21. He was an artist who battled with severe physical illness and depression.

I have a lot of friends who are battling with drug and alcohol problems after they got out of the Marine Corps. Yes, I can see why white death rates surge, led by drug overdoses. I wish there is something can be done.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:35 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
Lot of kids these days use pills, which they buy from the street dealers, and practically all of them started with pot.
And they represent less than 10% of all people who started with pot. The other 90% never went on to pills, cocaine, heroin, murder, or rape. Your argument is invalid.

Practically all of them started with cigarettes and/or alcohol also. Why do you focus on pot?

For every drug abuser you produce that started with pot, I'll produce 9 long-term users (not abusers) that never did a hard drug in their life.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:42 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
And they represent less than 10% of all people who started with pot. The other 90% never went on to pills, cocaine, heroin, murder, or rape. Your argument is invalid.

Practically all of them started with cigarettes and/or alcohol also. Why do you focus on pot?

For every drug abuser you produce that started with pot, I'll produce 9 long-term users (not abusers) that never did a hard drug in their life.
Booze and cigarettes have been around a long time, so they cannot explain this new change with ODs. Something has changed, and that something is causing the deaths. Pot legalization and decriminalization is new, and certainly can explain the new problem, because it opens the gates to the world of drugs.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,985 times
Quote:
That is a stereotype, and is blaming something that is inconsequential and using it to fight the pot boogeyman. Here is a report of the numbers involving the growth of heroin showing 75% of them are addicted to prescription pain meds.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...aths.html?_r=0

Here is the BBC reporting on the problem.
Unlikely face of heroin epidemic in small town America - BBC News

Whether they once used marijuana is meaningless, it has been studied and widely reported that the problem is prescription pill addiction. Fact is I know several people with chronic pain issues that use marijuana and have gotten off of all prescription pain meds, but many think since it is a prescription drug that they are fine using it. Then when it is yanked they find another source of the high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies