Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes the US is in great shape because the gun violence has decreased, still in last place but better off than 10 years ago, let's celebrate.

take out the criminal murders, cop killings, federal government murders, and suicides and then tell me what the number is again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Define "civilized", please. Hopefully your description is clear enough that I can take country "X", apply your criteria, and determine if it's suitable for comparison.

Mostly meaning Europe, Canada, Australia chart below for gun homicides, this chart I believe is for murders but holds true for gun violence in general.

Gun homicides and gun ownership listed by country | News | The Guardian

Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
True enough. I'd say this study means we need hire more police officers to control gang violence and encourage more people to get help for depression. Let's cut those numbers!! Gang members get shot by other gang members far too much! Suicide prevention taught in schools would help.

South Korea and Japan also has this problem.

"Last year in Japan, more than 25,000 people took their own lives.
That's 70 every day. The vast majority were men.
Those figures do not make Japan's the highest suicide rate in the world in a developed nation.
That dubious title belongs to South Korea. But it is still far, far higher than virtually all other wealthy countries.
It is three times the suicide rate in the United Kingdom."

What drove a quiet, elderly man, to douse himself with fuel and set fire to it in a packed carriage on a speeding train?
Why does Japan have such a high suicide rate? - BBC News

Let's cut those numbers people!!!
If we run the numbers, the firearm ownership in Japan is near zero while we have more guns than people. When I follow the liberal logic, we can only draw the conclusion that lack of firearms must have been driving the Japanese to commit suicide.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Mostly meaning Europe, Canada, Australia chart below for gun homicides, this chart I believe is for murders but holds true for gun violence in general.

Without posting the overall murder rate or the source of data, this chart is very unethical.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Doesn't sound like a gun problem... sounds like a problem with a person or in this case people... you want to lock them up before they commit any crimes?

Old 02-10-2016, 10:32 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:

I noticed two things in your reply:

1. What is the criteria? Why were only Europe, Canada, and Australia selected, and all other countries excluded?
2. Not to split hairs, but gun homicides ARE gun violence. Accidents and suicides are not, just like slipping on a wet floor isn't "floor violence", or dropping a toaster in the tub isn't "toaster violence".

And as other people here have pointed out, why exclude other forms of homicide? Putting on my "devil's advocate" hat, if I were asked that question, I would say "we're just looking at gun homicides here, we could have a separate conversation about overall homicides". However -- without the context/bigger picture, we don't know if gun homicides are a big piece of a small pie or a small piece of a big pie.

I think the real question here, and isn't answered in the articles linked, is this:
Does the mere presence of firearms drive up overall homicide rates for a country? Dead is dead, so is someone more or less likely to be murdered in a country with a lot of guns?

Old 02-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I noticed two things in your reply:

I think the real question here, and isn't answered in the articles linked, is this:
Does the mere presence of firearms drive up overall homicide rates for a country? Dead is dead, so is someone more or less likely to be murdered in a country with a lot of guns?
Please try not to have a serious and scientific discussion with gun control crowd. This article from VCP is dishonest to begin with. They simply use lies to influence public opinions. That's unethical and unprofessional, making me think we should license every journalist.

To date, I have yet to see one honest and sound statistic study from the gun control people. Not a single one!

Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If we run the numbers, the firearm ownership in Japan is near zero while we have more guns than people. When I follow the liberal logic, we can only draw the conclusion that lack of firearms must have been driving the Japanese to commit suicide.
At least it would be less messy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies