Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times

Advertisements

Drug use and drug selling is roughly the same among all groups with white people doing it more often. But the sentences for black and Latino people is generally harsher and longer.

Now suddenly we are paying attention to the unnecessary war on drugs when more white people are impacted. Private prisons needed more profits so they found new targets with the rise of meth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:52 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Drug use and drug selling is roughly the same among all groups with white people doing it more often. But the sentences for black and Latino people is generally harsher and longer.
Is that broken down by prior record? Please post that data.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 AM

1,160 posts, read 714,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Now suddenly we are paying attention to the unnecessary war on drugs when more white people are impacted. Private prisons needed more profits so they found new targets with the rise of meth.
Preposterous. The war on drugs keeps on ticking with ever increasing penalties for opioids and meth, just as we did with the 80's. You need to focus on race is rooted in an entire generation being deceived that racism is why drug users are in prison.

Ohio Senate considers legislation to increase penalties for opioid sale - Daily Jeffersonian | Cambridge OH | Daily-Jeff.com

increased penalties | New Jersey Assembly Republicans

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...abuse-epidemic

How blind do you to be to keep focusing on race? Race not even close to being a factor in incarceration. Drug of choice and socioeconomic status is. You think a disproportional racial demographic proves racism, yet you have no empirical evidence of racism coming into play. Keep preaching the liberal myth that race is why black people are incarcerated, it cant becasue they used drugs.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:00 AM

You should also consider the fact that when judges hand down sentences, they take into consideration the offender's circumstances. Do they have a job? Are they a contributing member of society? Etc.

If Blacks want less policing of their communities, fewer arrests for crimes, and sentences on par with Whites, commit less crimes so your neighborhoods don't stick out as high crime rate areas which invite more policing, and contribute to society more.

Other races have figured that out.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You should also consider the fact that when judges hand down sentences, they take into consideration the offender's circumstances. Do they have a job? Are they a contributing member of society? Etc.

If Blacks want less policing of their communities, fewer arrests for crimes, and sentences on par with Whites, commit less crimes so your neighborhoods don't stick out as high crime rate areas which invite more policing, and contribute to society more.

Other races have figured that out.

This is ignorant too. It is indisputable crack laws disproportionately impacted black people, mostly becasue crack has a higher prevalence of use in black sub culture. Mandatory minimums. Discretion is largely not available.

Your idea assumes someone born into a poor environment can somehow avoid the pitfalls. That is just ignorance.

And no, other races have not figured it out, there are white people in the same position as black people. You really should stop promoting that whites are smarter than blacks. It really really racist. White incarceration is increasing.

Racial knowledge is racist myth. Go back to stormfront.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,593,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Preposterous. The war on drugs keeps on ticking with ever increasing penalties for opioids and meth, just as we did with the 80's. You need to focus on race is rooted in an entire generation being deceived that racism is why drug users are in prison.

Ohio Senate considers legislation to increase penalties for opioid sale - Daily Jeffersonian | Cambridge OH | Daily-Jeff.com

increased penalties | New Jersey Assembly Republicans

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...abuse-epidemic

How blind do you to be to keep focusing on race? Race not even close to being a factor in incarceration. Drug of choice and socioeconomic status is. You think a disproportional racial demographic proves racism, yet you have no empirical evidence of racism coming into play. Keep preaching the liberal myth that race is why black people are incarcerated, it cant becasue they used drugs.

I agree racism is largely a smoke screen for classism. It's not that it's black vs white drugs. It's more "rich man drug" vs "poor man drugs". So I most definitely agree the race thing is a massive massive smoke screen. I do think however that the fallout is some widening mistrust racially. Drugs have created a massive public and media spectacle and a false narrative about black America.

With the entire black population in mind, the proportion of black people who are actually criminals or involved in criminal activity is low. Not even 10% of blacks are involved in any sort of crime. Yet the media portrays blacks as being unanimously as being criminals and thugs.

Let's face it, the image of black America has been soley due to media. And I do include large "white owned" record companies that promote gangsta rap to further saturate the public with negative black images.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
This is ignorant too. It is indisputable crack laws disproportionately impacted black people, mostly becasue crack has a higher prevalence of use in black sub culture.
Higher prevalence of the crime committed = higher convictions and incarcerations. Simple math.

Quote:
Mandatory minimums. Discretion is largely not available.
Mandatory minimums. Which means sentences for Whites aren't any lower than the minimum.

Quote:
Your idea assumes someone born into a poor environment can somehow avoid the pitfalls. That is just ignorance.
They can. There are plenty of examples of those who came from very meager means and rose above it, both Black and White.

Quote:
And no, races have no figured it out, they'd be in the same position as black people if they were put in the same position. You really should stop promoting that whites are smart than blacks. It really really racist.
I didn't say Whites are smarter than Blacks. In fact, I argued exactly the opposite in my voucher post on this thread.

What I said is that other races have figured out that committing fewer crimes doesn't draw as much policing as committing more crimes.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I agree racism is largely a smoke screen for classism. It's not that it's black vs white drugs. It's more "rich man drug" vs "poor man drugs". So I most definitely agree the race thing is a massive massive smoke screen. I do think however that the fallout is some widening mistrust racially. Drugs have created a massive public and media spectacle and a false narrative about black America.

With the entire black population in mind, the proportion of black people who are actually criminals or involved in criminal activity is low. Not even 10% of blacks are involved in any sort of crime. Yet the media portrays blacks as being unanimously as being criminals and thugs.

Let's face it, the image of black America has been soley due to media. And I do include large "white owned" record companies that promote gangsta rap to further saturate the public with negative black images.
It's sensational and it sells. The comedy is the false premise is maintained by racist whites and liberal SJW's, all to get votes for their party.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Higher prevalence of the crime committed = higher convictions and incarcerations. Simple math.

Mandatory minimums. Which means sentences for Whites aren't any lower than the minimum.

They can. There are plenty of examples of those who came from very meager means and rose above it, both Black and White.

I didn't say Whites are smarter than Blacks. In fact, I argued exactly the opposite in my voucher post on this thread.

What I said is that other races have figured out that committing fewer crimes doesn't draw as much policing as committing more crimes.
Take away most middle class skilled labor jobs and flood the streets with one of the most addictive narcotics on the planet. And I don't think many communities will survive this. At the end of the day black people didn't invent crack. So someone introduced it to black neighborhoods throughout America. As a government hating libertarian, of course I blame the government. But I'm not here to debate conspiracy theories.

Drugs destroyed America as a whole. It's not like whites were holding hands singing kum-bay-yah during the 70s-90s either. Crime impacted every American. The difference is that the image of black America suffered worse than the image of white America did.

Not to say some aspects of white America isn't negative nor portrayed as negative. I mean there are the honey boo-boos of the world after all. But the key is that negative white images is never taking as a holistic view of white American culture.

Where as drugs and criminality is taken as synonymous with black culture. Which is a big problem.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It's sensational and it sells. The comedy is the false premise is maintained by racist whites and liberal SJW's, all to get votes for their party.
I totally agree. I think identity politics is one of the most disgusting aspect of American culture today. And yes Liberalism and Marxism has contributed. As a black man I try to at least inject this point of view to black people, but I'm dismissed as being a sellout. But I don't have the charisma to reach black people, one day a strong black Libertarian mind will connect with the black public. Then we can overcome getting our butts kicked by identity politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies