Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Obama has increased racial relations in this country considerably.

If everything was so lovey-dovey between white folks and the rest of the world it wouldn't have mattered what Obama might have said or done. But the lightest utterance of anything hinting at supporting a black person sent much of white American into a hysteria hissy fit of racial distemper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 04:04 PM

3,863 posts, read 2,230,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Serious questions to our black posters on CD.com:
Did you vote for Obama?
Nope. I was a Ron Paul fan, but then lost interest after he dropped out and ended up not voting at all.

Quote:
Did you really believe in 'hope and change' or were you more interested in him because he would be the first black president?
No. And I'm not surprised that nothing actually changed.

It was cool to see a black family in the white house, but the novelty wore off after a couple years.

Quote:
Has your life changed for the better or worse in his 8 year presidency?
Sure it has. But that's because of my own effort, and not because of who the president is.

Quote:
Do you think race relations in the US have improved over the last 8 years?
If he could run for another term, would you vote for him?
No. Race relations improve with every generation. Bigotry can't be unlearned. The older generations have to pass away first.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why are you laughing at Hispanics? Do you believe they're not capable of being POTUS?
White people with Spanish surnames are still white people.

Calling Cruz and Rubio "minorities" is a joke.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Hi OP,

The thing is, there ARE differences (in experiences) between blacks and whites. I think that exposing those different experiences makes some white people uncomfortable.

I'm not a huge fan of Sharpton and Jesse, so I wouldn't defend them, but I think that race relations are bad because some people get uncomfortable when certain realities are exposed.

ETA: I think it's totally reasonable to not like BO because of his policies. I just don't think that's the reason for some people.
I agree. The thing is, some people can't actually listen to or hear Obama because of his race and their own perceptions. Obama hasn't said anything different than any recent mainstream democrat. Obama has been treated quite differently though. And the criticism has little to do with his policies.

For example, complaining about his wife's appearance or his kids clothing doesn't seem to be a good use of time in my book.

Or publicly stating your core policy is to say no to whatever Obama says or wants, doesn't exactly look like clearheaded thinking to me. It actually seems a lot more like being a sheep than being a critical thinker.

Everyone always says I don't support Obama's policies but never seem to have a good reason on why they disagree. Some people don't even understand the policies and disagree. It is completely fine to make an informed decision and disagree.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It actually seems a lot more like being a sheep than being a critical thinker.

Everyone always says I don't support Obama's policies but never seem to have a good reason on why they disagree. Some people don't even understand the policies and disagree. It is completely fine to make an informed decision and disagree.
This is true in general though. Most people would not be able to tell you why they support any candidate. The whole political process is more of a popularity contest, and people just go on their gut-feelings.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Of course you did.
Am I supposed to feel guilty about it?

Because I don't, and I'm proud as hell that I did.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Obama has increased racial relations in this country considerably. He makes statements only when a black person is killed by a white person, not when a black is killed by a black, which there is a hell of a lot more incidents. It has nothing to do with being a black president, it has to do with having his head up his ass and his lack of understanding of the Constitution.
Can you tell me about a time that another sitting president has received comments like this on a widespread basis?

Obama’s Twitter Debut, @POTUS, Attracts Hate-Filled Posts

Old 02-15-2016, 08:41 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,292,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Can you tell me about a time that another sitting president has received comments like this on a widespread basis?

Obama’s Twitter Debut, @POTUS, Attracts Hate-Filled Posts

Disgusting.

As I said, having a black president has made the bigots lose what's left of their diminished minds.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:45 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
White people with Spanish surnames are still white people.

Calling Cruz and Rubio "minorities" is a joke.
The US Census Bureau, college applications, etc., categorize them as distinctly different from Whites. See for yourself:

Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2014: 17.4%
USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Furthermore, those who oppose illegal immigration are frequently called racists for doing so.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,149,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Am I supposed to feel guilty about it?

Because I don't, and I'm proud as hell that I did.
Are you also "proud as hell" of the language you use on the brown pride forum? I never see you talking like that over here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies