Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 10:08 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Hey Tyster, people aren't bigots for disagreeing with Obama. Sometimes people are just bigots.

I'll let you think about it.
You should try making that distinction some time because you failed to here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:27 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
You should try making that distinction some time because you failed to here.

Tyster, the only failure here is in your understanding:

Quote:
Hi OP,

The thing is, there ARE differences (in experiences) between blacks and whites. I think that exposing those different experiences makes some white people uncomfortable.

I'm not a huge fan of Sharpton and Jesse, so I wouldn't defend them, but I think that race relations are bad because some people get uncomfortable when certain realities are exposed.

ETA: I think it's totally reasonable to not like BO because of his policies. I just don't think that's the reason for some people.

The bolded clearly makes my point.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
[quote=lenniel;43013596]Serious questions to our black posters on CD.com:
Did you vote for Obama? [quote]

No
Quote:
Did you really believe in 'hope and change' or were you more interested in him because he would be the first black president?
No, as a Libertarian, I already know I don't put all faith behind a politician. I've been a Libertarian since 2004, and I am naturally skeptical of presidents who make such promises.

Quote:
Has your life changed for the better or worse in his 8 year presidency?
For the better, but that has nothing to do with Obama. Career wise I'm just more experienced, meaning I command a higher salary and better jobs. Would have happened with or without Obama

Quote:
Do you think race relations in the US have improved over the last 8 years?
No but that's not his fault. Blame it on the media and the government stirring the racial pot

Quote:
If he could run for another term, would you vote for him?
Nope, I don't vote Democrat or Republican.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Serious questions to our black posters on CD.com:
Did you vote for Obama?
Did you really believe in 'hope and change' or were you more interested in him because he would be the first black president?
I'll play...

Yes, both times and would do so again

Both

Slightly better since I bought a house. My pay increased as well so that's also a plus.

Race relations are fine. I think the only people who have a problem with race are the people who aren't friends with other races. All my white friends are still friendly and vice versa. But I can see how white people who are insecure would feel like things are worse. Must be hard to see a black man in the WH. Once he leaves I think these white people will feel better instantly.

Hell yeah... I wish he could run again.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:41 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Same applies to the Black and Dem bigots. Disagreeing with Obama does not in and of itself make one a racist.
You are right. I don't agree with everything he has done and no one has written that.

There is clearly a race card pulled by racist when it comes to politics. I can't believe that you don't see that.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Serious answers:

Quote:
Did you vote for Obama?
Yes, thrice (primary + 2 generals).

Quote:
Neither. I thought he was 1) talented, 2) had good judgment, and 3) I agreed with his positions more than those of his opponents.

Quote:
Yes, not that I would attribute such to his presidency (and that does not appear to be what you are asking).

Quote:
Neither improved nor declined significantly, not that I would attribute that to his presidency, either.

Quote:
Yes, happily. I think he is the best President we can hope to elect in the contemporary political climate. He tends to have a cautious approach to policy, but the US is a large ship and it doesn't turn quickly. He has proven skillful at politics and foreign affairs. His administration has been competent and relatively scandal-free. I think that industry has a seat at the table in Obama-era policy-making, but it is not the driver's seat--which is appropriate.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
Did you vote for Obama?
I'm of African descent so I'll answer.

I voted for President Obama in 2008 but chose not to vote for anyone in 2012.

I voted for Obama in 2008 because he and Biden were the better choices. I believe McCain was sincere and would have been a good President but his running mate Palin hurt him greatly. She had no business on the ticket.

Obama is of European and Kenyan background in my view. Not into color classifications and really, he is of mixed heritage.

My life has changed from the better thanks to God, supportive family and hard work more than anything.

I have no idea regarding race relations. Guess they are getting better but to me, this country has such a troubled history regarding race and is still so attached to the ideology that it has a long way to go.

No. I have to interest in voting for another Democrat or Republican. However as the Republican party has issues with respecting and protecting religious freedom, there is a slim chance of needing to vote for the former.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 PM

580 posts, read 449,795 times
Quote:
1. Did you vote for Obama?
2. Did you really believe in 'hope and change' or were you more interested in him because he would be the first black president?
3. Has your life changed for the better or worse in his 8 year presidency?
4. Do you think race relations in the US have improved over the last 8 years?
5. If he could run for another term, would you vote for him?
(Not black)

1. Didn't vote.
2. 'Hope and Change' was just a slogan to me. Similar to 'Believe', 'Morning in America', 'Yes We Can', 'Drink Your Ovaltine'. etc. Anyone applying some hidden meaning or nefarious message behind it are to be considered 'Incredibly Stupid or Willfully Ignorant'.
3. Income has decreased because of decisions I made. Nothing to do with O.
4. The Pollyanna belief that racism was dead in this country over the last 30-40 years was ripped asunder through no fault of Obamas. Some people can't handle a black man liv'n in the white house. Old white congressman hatched a plan to treat Obama like an uppity ni66er that don't know his place, and that has damaged race relations. For other examples of sickening racism, visit the comments under any Youtube video with a black person behaving badly. That wouldn't have anything to do with Obama.
5. Oh hell yes! He's had the most obstructionist congress EVER, and look what he has accomplished. There is truth in the adage that Obama has been playing chess the whole time the gop has been playing checkers. They hate him for that, and so do their low-information followers. Yes, history will be VERY kind to Obama...

Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Well that proves it. Oh it was 8 degrees for me yesterday so Global Warming is a myth.

What does proof have to do with global warming?

Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,574 times
Quote:
Hi OP,

The thing is, there ARE differences (in experiences) between blacks and whites. I think that exposing those different experiences makes some white people uncomfortable.
There are a few reasons white people get uncomfortable. I'll speak to the non-racist ones. Liberals love to preach that skin color is a significant indicator of life experiences. This claim, most of the time, is supported with demographics/statistics, that overly simplifies issues in order to paint how racist things are. Correlation does not equal causation. This error is made over and over again by the left in trying to point out racism.

It's also can not be held back that almost all discussion about race devolves into how bad slavery was, despite there not being a slave in this country (with the exception of some sex workers)for almost 150 years. There is not a person alive who got rich or got poor due to slavery. Anyone who brings up slavery as causative factor in perpetual poverty of people, is doing nothing but purporting false victims.

Liberals argue that racial disproportion is racism. The poverty level of black and white people has not significantly changed for 50 years, outside the tides of the economy.

The claim that white people are keeping black people down is still an accurate and popular statement, but it's an incredibly misleading. White people are keeping white people down too. Race is no longer a significant causative factor in poverty or economic mobility.

While I'm not stating that racism is dead, it's not, and we should obviously be vigilant in how it impacts our society...see Trumps statements on Muslims, but race is no longer the reason people do not have upward mobility. The symptoms of generational poverty are, along with the lack of opportunity of upward mobility are attributed to all poor people of all races. Irrelevant of race, if you born into a poor family, you are more likely to be poor. If you born to a criminal, you are likely to be criminal. If you born to an addict, etc etc. This is generational poverty that has nothing to do with race.

The current divide over race is used by the left to divide and polarize the electorate to win elections. They paint the conservatives as racist and placate black people who have been led to believe it's all the white person fault. They tell the black people they are in prison becasue of a racist system, not becasue they committed a crime. Obviously, white people will have some resentment over this....yet, if they speak up about this, they are met with "check your privilege".

This is not to say we should not take steps to correct the disproportional nature of of our systems, but its not by painting white people as racist or blaming racism, its to lift generational families out of poverty using treatment, education and training, not trying to say "racism" as much you can when you see disproportion.

Stop painting the plight of black people (including criticisms of Obama) as due to racism. Your argument that some people are racist, is like saying sky is blue, it really has no relevance.

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of Sharpton and Jesse, so I wouldn't defend them, but I think that race relations are bad because some people get uncomfortable when certain realities are exposed.
The reality is, racism is not the predominate reason black people are suffering today, yet you have liberals saying its becasue of racism. That is what liberals can not tolerate and what upsets many white people, yet this claim is constantly asserted by the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies