Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,399,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, as I said, they would not be forced to move. Got it.
Sorry but where did you get that?

A certainty that some citizens of both the UK and EU will be forced to move. How many and which one remains to be determined. Could be anywhere from virtually all to almost none.

One sticking point is that the English population that forced the out wants the lower end EU citizens out...the Poles and Romanians. That may end up in a battle that forces large numbers of UK citizens out of major EU countries. My niece, an English Jr. Doctor, is working on a researchy job in Scandinavia. She could well be forced back home in a year or so and has to consider whether to try and ride this out or return to England.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:28 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,990,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

And then there is the voter shaming tactic: Sound like what we Trump voters put up with? Only old people want to leave. Only stupid people voted to leave and my favorite from OMIGOD The Washington Post. Who would have thunk it?

I kid you not:
LMAO, dramatic much? No one is taking the nomination from your crappy candidate. No one will take the presidency because he will not win on November 8.

And no one is putting you through anything. If you cannot take the heat then don't get involved in political discussions. Saves us the victim mentality. Politics is not for the thin skinned. I can assure you I'm not losing sleep tonight over some Trumpettes call me stupid, low IQ, commie, elitist, loser, loon, moron, hippie, hipster, *******, Obamabot, Communazis, traitor among other things.

Some music for your drama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbvcp480Y4

Old 06-26-2016, 05:30 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,990,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
If Clinton is elected she is up for Impeachment in the first 30 days.

Why d you Dems Love her so much?
So many Issues and so many laws and regulation broken over the last 30 years!

We would have a whole different set of issues with Clinton. Many reports have Clinton cruel to her staff and was not a very nice person to all that had worked with Ms. Clinton Can you say tyrant!

You guys work very hard to bad mouth Trump. Hmmm I wonder why?? There must be many of you Clinton Lovers on the Payroll!
Well impeach her then. We won't mind president Pocahontas Finally a native American will become president!!!!!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:31 PM

1,553 posts, read 928,521 times
And let's hope those elites on both sides of the Atlantic are successful...

Old 06-26-2016, 05:35 PM

17,375 posts, read 11,349,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The EU is a loose association of countries within its charter that countries can leave.

The USA was a country with a strong constitutional argument of unilateral secession being illegal. To secede to protect the institution of slavery is horrible.
I'm not aware it's written anywhere in the Constitution of this country that it is illegal to secede. It would be a long drawn out process and the Feds would probably send in troops to stop it from happening by force as has been done before, but it's not illegal per the constitution.
There is a movement already in Texas which probably won't gain much ground to do just that.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:49 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,195,460 times
Quote:
Or this one: Get Scotland and Northern Ireland veto the decision even though there is no law that says they can.
Scotland is a separate country from England and Scotland voted to remain in the EU. They would have to withdraw from the United Kingdom and petition to be part of the EU to remain.

There's nothing crazy about that except for the fact that Scotland has been part of the United Kingdom for 300 years.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:51 PM

18,874 posts, read 8,527,480 times
w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Just caught a brief segment on our PBS. A British Politician said this was ONLY an advisory vote for Parliament and policy can't be dictated by Mob Rule.

Mob Rule must be liberal slang for Democratic vote.
Not sure where you are coming from.

Mob rule is a good characterization of the Brexit result.

Because a rather small portion, about a 1/3 of the UK people ruled the day and forever have altered the destiny of the UK.

And that is OK if that's what the Brits intended. As a US citizen I can only have an opinion about it.

The USA has more checks and balances for such an issue. An issue with such a broad scope of permanent national implications.

I am no fan of the first, the second my guru:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...rogoff-2016-06

Brexit and the Failure of Democracy | Pragmatic Capitalism

The third I don't know:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpo...licy+at+LSE%29

Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 PM

27,716 posts, read 16,220,226 times
Quote:
It didn't take long. After the people in Great Britain voted the Brit elites are looking for technicalities to overturn the people's wishes, just like here with Trump, the Republican elites and the US primaries to the convention.

Sound familiar?

In the "must be going to lose money, control and/or power" category just like the Republican elites:

Pitchforks and torches, anyone?

Then there is, just keep voting until you get your way which is how many US School Districts handle a vote that doesn't go their way: A re-do referendum

Or try to get the EU to concede on immigration (so the Elites can throw the UK people a bone and still the Brit Elites get what they want) with the UK but which the EU won't do.

Or this one: Get Scotland and Northern Ireland veto the decision even though there is no law that says they can.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/britain-r...081452041.html

And then there is the voter shaming tactic: Sound like what we Trump voters put up with? Only old people want to leave. Only stupid people voted to leave and my favorite from OMIGOD The Washington Post. Who would have thunk it?

I kid you not:
Absolutely

Old 06-26-2016, 06:01 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,080,374 times
I find LauraC to be pretty level headed. Supports her arguments. Tries her damnedest to be civil. There, I think that is enough contrast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
LMAO, dramatic much? No one is taking the nomination from your crappy candidate. No one will take the presidency because he will not win on November 8.

And no one is putting you through anything. If you cannot take the heat then don't get involved in political discussions. Saves us the victim mentality. Politics is not for the thin skinned. I can assure you I'm not losing sleep tonight over some Trumpettes call me stupid, low IQ, commie, elitist, loser, loon, moron, hippie, hipster, *******, Obamabot, Communazis, traitor among other things.

Some music for your drama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbvcp480Y4

Old 06-26-2016, 06:01 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,195,460 times
Whats even crazier than "the elites" trying to stop Brexit is the rubes in the rural areas thinking they can still get EU funds even if the country isn't part of the EU.

Yorkshire and Cornwall don't seem to get it (they voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU).

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...backing-brexit
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-them-money/

This would be the equivalent of people in Tennessee voting for Trump and then wondering why their Social Security checks are smaller if he were elected. (He said he was open to cutting SS, which is a Ryan pet project.)

So sorry, but when you vote to make yourself poorer, don't start crying about it when it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies