Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 03:56 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times

Advertisements

Millenials are far more pretentious and entitled then any generation in the history of the nation.

Especially people in their 20s it seems like they feel they are entitled to six-figure salaries for staring at laptops, sending a few e-mails and drinking latte's. It's more a superficial popularity contest with the millenials.

Millenials feel extra entitled and like to pretend they are celebrities as most of them have a dozen or so social media sites they post updates on. They think everything must be personalized just for them.

Older people have a very good work ethic and don't feel entitled. Millenials make up health conditions out of thin air. They call to work for stress reasons, they make up an allergy or bizzare medical condition.

I work with 150 people and have worked with thousands over the years. The Millenials call out constantly because they are sick from drinking to much the night before, the free baby sitter fell through, they have allergies, they are having emotional distress from their boyfriends. The older workers will come in even when dealing with far worse chronic medical conditions.

Millenials are very liberal and want a European safety-net. Paid maternity leave like in Europe, free childcare, free colleges and universities, more tax credits etc.

Even the Republicans are getting far more liberal to try to attract millenials. Seems like it's became a bidding war between the parties to give the most tax credits, tax deductions and goodie programs for votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 04:05 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Millenials are far more pretentious and entitled then any generation in the history of the nation.

Especially people in their 20s it seems like they feel they are entitled to six-figure salaries for staring at laptops, sending a few e-mails and drinking latte's. It's more a superficial popularity contest with the millenials.

Millenials feel extra entitled and like to pretend they are celebrities as most of them have a dozen or so social media sites they post updates on. They think everything must be personalized just for them.

Older people have a very good work ethic and don't feel entitled. Millenials make up health conditions out of thin air. They call to work for stress reasons, they make up an allergy or bizzare medical condition.

I work with 150 people and have worked with thousands over the years. The Millenials call out constantly because they are sick from drinking to much the night before, the free baby sitter fell through, they have allergies, they are having emotional distress from their boyfriends. The older workers will come in even when dealing with far worse chronic medical conditions.

Millenials are very liberal and want a European safety-net. Paid maternity leave like in Europe, free childcare, free colleges and universities, more tax credits etc.

Even the Republicans are getting far more liberal to try to attract millenials. Seems like it's became a bidding war between the parties to give the most tax credits, tax deductions and goodie programs for votes.
What a bunch of rubbish. All the millennials I have worked with distrust government and see the results of gross misconduct all around us. We are fed up with pencil neck wieners screwing up our country, and a system designed to prevent us from doing anything about the degradation and bastardization of America. The thing is, these folks are busy working many hours, carrying the weight of a growing share of the nation that doesn't want to work.

Money decides how things are done in America. Money is the root of all evil. It's not hard to see how we got here, and it's not hard to see where it will lead us. There is time to do something about it, and I'm hopeful that the millennials will be able to be the change they want to see. They, as a generation, cannot be bought as easily as the boomers were. Though I could be wrong, I hope I am not.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:16 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They also have an extremely high unemployment rate.
And whose fault is that?

Old 03-25-2016, 04:23 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Money is the root of all evil.
Andy, a small correction.

It is the LOVE of money that is the root of all evil.

Not money itself.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:38 PM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You boomers should have voted better in the world y'all created.
Some of us did, but too many other idiots were just voting for more free sh*t.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:47 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,246 times
OP...

The squeeze has been on the middle class for some time. I've read that in the future 50% to 60% of our jobs will be taken by robots. I'm old, I've only got a few more years then I'm outta here, but with an ever growing population and less and less jobs...something has to give.

A major fly in the ointment our or world we have created is that it requires constant consumption and increasing demands put on it. Our population is always growing and consequently keeps consuming more and more. Consumption cannot be infinite in a finite world. Beside that, the rich are outsourcing jobs away from the US or cutting back in the quantity and quality of the jobs. I talked with a postal employee a while back. He said the Post Office has not hire full timers in years. The post office tries to get part timers so they don't have to give benefits.

Ten years ago we were worried about peak oil and natural gas. The inevitable decline of finite resources. Then they started to strain the oil from the tar sand and crack the rocks to find gas, so those worries are put on hold. But the fact that we have to wring oil from the tar sand and crack rocks to find gas should say something to all about our long term future. I'm not one of the blissninnys that say don't worry about fossil fuels running out we can run our cars with solar. Beside fuel uses, crude oil and natural gas account for major uses with petrochemical needs. Nothing out there that can replace them.

In any case, we have lots of problems in our world beside peak oil worries. No pensions, few people have retirement savings, fewer jobs with benefits, unaffordable health care. Banks are now talking about paying negative % rates on deposits...you pay them to hold your $. Well, with the gov giving them all the free $ they want why would they need to be bothered with paltry sums from saving accounts.

We got old people that can't ever retire and need to be box boys and McDonald workers until they drop dead. Beside being a terrible way to end your golden years, that keeps jobs away from teens. Gigs, freelancing and winging it by a growing army of freelancers, temps, contractors, part-timers, day laborers, micro-entrepreneurs, gig-preneurs, solo-preneurs, contingent labor, perma-lancers and perma-temps.

Even if the job offers benefits, the high cost deductible for med care is prohibitive. I talked with a lady from Ohio that said her deductible went up from a $20 copay before Obamacare to $5000 or $6000. (I can't remember.) But whatever it was she could not afford to visit a doctor.

On one of the forums someone was promoting communism as a fix to Americas woes.

Well, communism is no good. Communism has been tried from every possible direction and it has ALWAYS proved to be a failure. Societies tend to flip-flop from uncontrolled capitalism / monarchies to communism. They go from one extreme to the other.

What needs to be done is to have some middle ground balance between the two extremes as a social democracy. The rich can keep their money...just not all of it. The drone bees need a little of the honey pot to live. The rich forget they will have to go out in the world they have created someday, we are all in this together.

I don't have the answers to all the problems that face us in the future, it is just how things have worked out in the good ole US of A. Really, it IS the American way...as a capitalistic society money is our god. We don't do what is good for society as a whole, we do what is good for profits. If we were bees or ants we could be communists. Can you imagine bees or ants as greedy capitalists? They would be extinct. Self-centered, greedy humans cannot be successful communists as the result is worse than capitalism.
The modern day problem is based in the fact that the rich now control the politicians and the politicians only pass legislature that benefits the rich, so the poor has to get the short end of the stick with no one looking out for them. The rich talk about class warfare as an excuse to keep fleecing the flock, but it is the poor has who has been taking the brunt of the shots from the rich and the politicians in their pocket.

In the 70's I went to college for $6.50 a semester at L.A.A.C. and $63 a trimester at Cal State L.A. take all the classes you want to for one fee. I think U.C.L.A. was $1800 a year back then, but I couldn't afford it. You could visit a doctor for $15 to $20 for an office check up. Sure, things go up with inflation, but college and health care were not run as big business back in the day.

In Jan I called a dermatologist to ask about a wart removal and it is $490 for 5 minutes of work. The doctor does not even do it...his assistant does it. Last year it was $175 for a wart removal, but they raised the rates if your uninsured. They said it is illegal for me to not have med insurance and it is insurance fraud for them to charge a different rate than what they get under Obamacare when they bill insurance companies...$490.

Medicine prices started to skyrocket once the greedy learned they can hike up medicine costs by astounding percentages. They can hold the chronically ill by ransom...it is pay up or die. There is nothing wrong with that is there? This is textbook material on how a good capitalist should work. Get the highest price the market will bear for the product. If a pill cost .35 cents to make, why not mark it up to $1000 a pill? If an insurance company will pay for it why not 5,000 a pill? There is no law against making profits...this is not the 1960's Mayberry.

The vast majority of us are worker bees that go through life to support the queen bee...the 1%. Most workers would be happy to live life comfortable and be in the middle class and even close by the middle. The average person does not mind this life as long as they are not getting squeezed to death by the rich. The middle class drone bee have no interest in taking control of the world like Cruz does. (Did you see his video when he was younger and what he said?) They just want to work at a decent job and be able to live.

Our food supply has gone down hill tremendously...ever buy a peach in the store with no fuzz, no fragrance and rots before it ripens? How bout the giant strawberries that taste like nothing? They were not like that back in the day...that is the capitalist peach and strawberries of nowadays. They are meant to be sold, but not eaten.

I think in the future more and more people will die an earlier death as they lose their jobs to robots, the food supply becomes more poisonous, More people become homeless and will end their life dying on the street.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/man-eating-trash-2015-daniel-d-teoli-jr-mr1.jpg

The kids are already escaping life in mass numbers through heroin and drugs. Many of them have no hope and just don't care. Why go to college, get in debt for $75,000 to $150,000 just to be a temp...if your lucky. The kids are a societies future lifeblood...who is going to grow the food?

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/in-the-shadow-of-city-hall-v25-2015-daniel-d-teoli-jr-mr1.jpg

Pretty soon all the drone bees income will just go for a room, a can of Chinese dog food and the rest goes to taxes and paying Obamacare fines for not being able to afford medical insurance.

Many of us are already drinking recycled toilet water. Do we really need more and more people in our world? Our model we have built our world on seems to be broken and the world as we know it may be headed off a cliff. I feel sorry for the kids.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:48 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You boomers should have voted better in the world y'all created.
I saw that coming.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
And whose fault is that?
The idiots who pursued degrees in fields that aren't marketable. PLUS, they accrued student loan debt on top of the already bad choices they've made.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:53 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I look at kids today, needing crisis counseling because someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk on a sidewalk, having their parents go WITH them on job interviews, having absolutely zero sense of personal responsibility or ability to handle a crisis and I wonder what's in store for us when they inherit the country.

After all, the youth is the future and WE failed them for enabling and fostering this nonsense that "everyone gets a trophy" or that good parenting is hovering over your kids to the point where they can't function without you.

I truly hope this is just a symptom of the 24/7 news media where we see so many of these stories just because we have access to so much information but I fear it's more systemic and that we are basically screwed.

As others have pointed out, during the greatest generation 18 year olds were storming the beaches in Normandy and today they need crisis counseling because someone wrote the name of a presidential candidate they don't like in chalk.

In my dad's generation, you were EXPECTED to leave the house at 18 and support yourself. Today, you have kids taking their parents with them on job interviews

Forbes Welcome

We are screwed.
Shut up.

Millenials keep your lights on, your water running, your roads paved, your health in check. They're inventing, and starting businesses, teaching our children and caring for our seniors. They're your police officers, your firefighters, EMT's, and national defense.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Shut up.

Millenials keep your lights on, your water running, your roads paved, your health in check. They're inventing, and starting businesses, teaching our children and caring for our seniors. They're your police officers, your firefighters, EMT's, and national defense.
Highly doubtful ...

Quote:
"The millennial generation is still lagging in the workplace, making up about 40 percent of the unemployed in the U.S., says Anthony Carnevale, a director and research professor for Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce."
Millennial College Graduates: Young, Educated, Jobless
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/06/05/m...ss-335821.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies