Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 05:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Some of us did, but too many other idiots were just voting for more free sh*t.
Then why are you bashing millennials who haven't had a hand in the world around us to the extent boomers have?

It's old folk entitlements that will be making up the largest chunk of he budget sooner than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 05:09 PM

305 posts, read 180,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That's right, everything IS fine.

A few snowflakes and/or wackos do not define an entire generation.

I have faith in them!

(I'm a boomer)
Exactly.

I was watching "New Girl", a show I typically love, and they had an episode with a bunch of "millennials" who didn't have jobs, didn't know how to wash their own clothes, and other ridiculous stereo-types. I looked at my husband and asked him to turn it off because I'm so tired of hearing how lazy and entitled I am from people who don't know me and obviously don't know very many millennials.

Out of everyone I know, only one of my friends still lives with his parents, and that's because he just got a divorce. We all have jobs and when we get together, believe it or not we don't complain about how much we get paid. We don't get together often anymore because we are all working full-time and then some, and are all very committed to our jobs as most of us are moving into careers. Half of us don't use social media, and those who do mostly use it because it's so expected by most of society now.

We are not all liberal. I know at least two of my friends were supporting Ben Carson last time we got together, but that was a while ago now.

I'm not saying there aren't any stereo-typical millennials out there. I've met them, I know they exist. I'm kind of worried my 14 year-old niece is turning into one... but by far, most people my age are not "special snowflakes" and we are handling life very responsibly.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
I think you have to look to the past to get a glimpse of the future. Look back at the 60's, and what the young people were doing then..protesting their parents wars, looking to right social wrongs, free love, smoking pot, free expression, blah blah blah. And what were the politicians doing? In the middle of a war, spending the future generations into eternal debt, starting the doomed to fail "war on drugs", etc.

Fast forward to today. What are those kids doing now, since they are "the man"? Why, they're still playing war, spending future generations so deep into debt that they'll never get out, and still fighting a failed war on drugs. And the kids of today, we'll they are doing the same things their parents/grandparents did.

So, my prediction is the millenials will be no different than the flower children...and we'll continue on the destructive path of a slow descent into complete insolvency and slavery to our creditors that our overly large government has been on for the past 60 years.
There is a lot of truth in this. While millennials may have some deficiencies, it is previous generations that supported an every growing government, the debt from which will be felt more by millennials than by previous generations.

I would be very skeptical of having children in the US at this stage. The only way they would have a bright future is to expatriate.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
They'll figure it out. Every generation does.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Highly doubtful ...

Millennial College Graduates: Young, Educated, Jobless
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/06/05/m...ss-335821.html
Why are you so smug that you, your friend's, and family's children and grand children are struggling? That's pretty pathetic.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
It's usually, if not entirely liberals. Look at the liberal dominated colleges and universities! They demand counseling if someone writes Trump 2016 and they do what ever they can to shut down any ideas that run counter to their liberal dogma.

It's liberals who are actively shutting down Trump rallies, blocking entrances and actively preventing others from exercising their first amendment rights because THEY don't approve of the candidate.

I'm not a Trump supporter or even a conservative but what is happening in this country with liberals and their hatred and active supression of freedom of speech or assembly is disgusting... and this is the thing that DOES lead to fascism over time.

The scary part is that the Republican party seems to be imploding, Trump is causing the party to split. I don't think he can win the general election and if he does, I think the blowback against republicans will be huge. So we could be left with one dominant political party. Democrats. Precisely the people who are so against freedom of speech.
Good for you as a non-conservative to be so honest about liberals being opposed to free speech. I've known for quite sometime that liberals are the least open minded of anyone. The reason they claim to be open minded is that they tend to live in echo chambers where noone they interact with has even contemplated alternative views.

People need to realize that the only reason the US is not a complete 3rd world hellhole yet the way the cities run by Democrats for 50+ years are is that there is some opposition to unchecked liberalism in Washington DC. That and the separation of powers has prevented liberals form being given cart blanche at the federal level.

If Democrats got unchecked power in Washington for many years, the results would be catastrophic as they have been in cities like Detroit.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:16 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
The Unabomber was right...Technology will lead to the death of society. Right message, wrong delivery.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Then why are you bashing millennials who haven't had a hand in the world around us to the extent boomers have?
Because they didn't work hard enough at their education, made many bad choices in regards to college majors, student loans, etc., and want things that they haven't earned handed to them.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Because they didn't work hard enough at their education,
Oh yea, what's millennial's GPA compared to boomers?

Quote:
made many bad choices in regards to college majors,
Oh yea, how liberal arts majors vs STEM majors, etc?

Quote:
student loans, etc., and want things that they haven't earned handed to them.
Sounds like a bunch of ASSumptions.

Why didn't boomers vote better when it came to higher education?

Old 03-25-2016, 05:26 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Why are you so smug that you, your friend's, and family's children and grand children are struggling?
My kids aren't struggling. They bucked the millennials' trend and actually had 5-, 10-year plans, etc., did the research, pursued degrees in fields that were marketable, worked internships, etc., worked while attending college, took out no students loans, networked with their Big Ten universities' professional and alumni associations, graduated, have jobs, have been promoted a couple of times, and live in their own places, supporting themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies