Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:37 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I look at kids today, needing crisis counseling because someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk on a sidewalk, having their parents go WITH them on job interviews, having absolutely zero sense of personal responsibility or ability to handle a crisis and I wonder what's in store for us when they inherit the country.

After all, the youth is the future and WE failed them for enabling and fostering this nonsense that "everyone gets a trophy" or that good parenting is hovering over your kids to the point where they can't function without you.

I truly hope this is just a symptom of the 24/7 news media where we see so many of these stories just because we have access to so much information but I fear it's more systemic and that we are basically screwed.

As others have pointed out, during the greatest generation 18 year olds were storming the beaches in Normandy and today they need crisis counseling because someone wrote the name of a presidential candidate they don't like in chalk.

In my dad's generation, you were EXPECTED to leave the house at 18 and support yourself. Today, you have kids taking their parents with them on job interviews

Forbes Welcome

We are screwed.
The answer - real life will kick them in the butt and give them a wakeup call. They will know that the world does not revolve around them for the most part.. the exception would be a celebrity or a famous musician. But most people are not going to be that lucky. So life will kick them in the butt and give them a wakup call. then they might learn a few lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:47 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I wouldn't consider taking on more debt as being 'financially beneficial'.
It can be. Think leverage. States, cities, school districts, etc., and businesses do that all the time... finance debt by issuing bonds or issuing and selling more stock to develop new resources, which then results in more jobs.

Quote:
Wasn't that part of the housing collapse? People re-mortgaging their homes for cash?
Yes, but you'll note that one of the correct answers was that Mrs. Jones would have more money AVAILABLE if she refinanced the loan. That, in fact, is true, even if she did end up with more debt.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebenn View Post
I'm going to call you out on this one. Why should Cheesecake answer your question if all you do is copy-paste handpicked messages that you go around posting everywhere in a smug condescending tone. You didn't even respond to a good point they made
Yes, I did. I asked why millennials were NOT doing what the Georgetown University report suggested.

And it's not just me recognizing the reality that millennials in larger numbers than other generations have "Failed to Launch." For pete's sake, GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY published a 78-page report on it.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I live in Arizona which is one nation's welfare epicenters and it's amazing how these young entitled female's have baby after baby because they know the liberals will raise taxes on hard-working middle-aged workers and senior's to pay for their millenial welfare programs.

In the 70s and 80s there was a much smaller safety-net for families compared to today. Today, there are households bringing in $12,000 welfare EITC credits a year, $10,000 plus in food assistance yearly, $15,000-$20,000 in Section 8 vouchers, $10,000 per child in state and local taxes for complimentary childcare from 5 to 18 years old from 8am-3pm, free medicaid for any extra babies they want to add to their already large families. They get hundreds a month in utility assistance.

Its just ridiculous the mentality of today's millenials as opposed to prior generations who worked hard and lived modestly with much smaller safety net.

Liberals love Medicaid babies because they are counting on those votes for the future. Liberals also like to lecture us about "the poor children" to make people more empathetic to big tax increases for their manufactured social problems.

It's entertaining going to the grocery store and basically from 1st thru 10th of the month and basically it's just these millenial families with 3 to 5 kids each or even more. They know that Obama and the State will always be there for them giving them thousands in free-hand out's monthly.

The liberalism in this country is totally out of control. It's ridiculous the expansion of the welfare state over the last generation.

The poor millenial baby factories get $1500 or so in rental vouchers, $1000 or more in free food monthly along with other liberal goodies like complementary childcare, utility bill assistance and fake grants to go to school while not working. Now the extreme liberals want to make sure these women who have babies when poor get reduced cost diapers.

Compare that to the senior's of America who worked all their lives and are shortchanged by the government.

Millenials also take out lots of loans to study weird majors in universities. They also don't like to work while attending and many live a celebrity lifestyle exclusively off student loans. Many Millenials take out private loans to attend graduate programs thinking they will graduate into an immediate six-figure position.
And they smell funny!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I look at kids today, needing crisis counseling because someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk on a sidewalk, having their parents go WITH them on job interviews, having absolutely zero sense of personal responsibility or ability to handle a crisis and I wonder what's in store for us when they inherit the country.

After all, the youth is the future and WE failed them for enabling and fostering this nonsense that "everyone gets a trophy" or that good parenting is hovering over your kids to the point where they can't function without you.

I truly hope this is just a symptom of the 24/7 news media where we see so many of these stories just because we have access to so much information but I fear it's more systemic and that we are basically screwed.

As others have pointed out, during the greatest generation 18 year olds were storming the beaches in Normandy and today they need crisis counseling because someone wrote the name of a presidential candidate they don't like in chalk.

In my dad's generation, you were EXPECTED to leave the house at 18 and support yourself. Today, you have kids taking their parents with them on job interviews

Forbes Welcome

We are screwed.
Don't hire them. Let the parents who created the helmet wearing wusses deal with and support them through adulthood.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Don't hire them. Let the parents who created the helmet wearing wusses deal with and support them through adulthood.
Yeah, that's exactly what's happening.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Forget college as a measure of anything. That's who, along with their parents, continue to baby them.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:10 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It was the boomers who screwed this country and expect the millennials & Gen Xers to pay for it.
This 100 times over.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
WESTERN IQs dropped 14 points. As in, the WESTERN Hemisphere (including Scandinavian and European countries). Not just the US.
I'm talking about our country, the US, not the western world at large.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:49 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I live in Arizona which is one nation's welfare epicenters and it's amazing how these young entitled female's have baby after baby because they know the liberals will raise taxes on hard-working middle-aged workers and senior's to pay for their millenial welfare programs.

In the 70s and 80s there was a much smaller safety-net for families compared to today. Today, there are households bringing in $12,000 welfare EITC credits a year, $10,000 plus in food assistance yearly, $15,000-$20,000 in Section 8 vouchers, $10,000 per child in state and local taxes for complimentary childcare from 5 to 18 years old from 8am-3pm, free medicaid for any extra babies they want to add to their already large families. They get hundreds a month in utility assistance.

Its just ridiculous the mentality of today's millenials as opposed to prior generations who worked hard and lived modestly with much smaller safety net.

Liberals love Medicaid babies because they are counting on those votes for the future. Liberals also like to lecture us about "the poor children" to make people more empathetic to big tax increases for their manufactured social problems.

It's entertaining going to the grocery store and basically from 1st thru 10th of the month and basically it's just these millenial families with 3 to 5 kids each or even more. They know that Obama and the State will always be there for them giving them thousands in free-hand out's monthly.

The liberalism in this country is totally out of control. It's ridiculous the expansion of the welfare state over the last generation.

The poor millenial baby factories get $1500 or so in rental vouchers, $1000 or more in free food monthly along with other liberal goodies like complementary childcare, utility bill assistance and fake grants to go to school while not working. Now the extreme liberals want to make sure these women who have babies when poor get reduced cost diapers.

Compare that to the senior's of America who worked all their lives and are shortchanged by the government.

Millenials also take out lots of loans to study weird majors in universities. They also don't like to work while attending and many live a celebrity lifestyle exclusively off student loans. Many Millenials take out private loans to attend graduate programs thinking they will graduate into an immediate six-figure position.
Are you leaving Arizona soon??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies