Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times

Advertisements

I look at kids today, needing crisis counseling because someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk on a sidewalk, having their parents go WITH them on job interviews, having absolutely zero sense of personal responsibility or ability to handle a crisis and I wonder what's in store for us when they inherit the country.

After all, the youth is the future and WE failed them for enabling and fostering this nonsense that "everyone gets a trophy" or that good parenting is hovering over your kids to the point where they can't function without you.

I truly hope this is just a symptom of the 24/7 news media where we see so many of these stories just because we have access to so much information but I fear it's more systemic and that we are basically screwed.

As others have pointed out, during the greatest generation 18 year olds were storming the beaches in Normandy and today they need crisis counseling because someone wrote the name of a presidential candidate they don't like in chalk.

In my dad's generation, you were EXPECTED to leave the house at 18 and support yourself. Today, you have kids taking their parents with them on job interviews

Forbes Welcome

We are screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 02:36 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Are we pretty much screwed once the millennials inherit the country?
Yes. Here's why...

Quote:
"This exam, given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society.

And U.S. millennials performed horribly.

...But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope. U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain.

...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind."
US Millennials Post Abysmal Scores in Thinking Abilities, Math, Literacy, and Technological Problem-Solving
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Old 03-24-2016, 02:36 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
It's not just America. Youthful pantywastes in Germany opened the door for foreign invaders to rape and pillage at will. Where are the older, wiser folks? Why is America and Europe producing all these useless whiny manginas?

Western society needs to grow a pair again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

US Millennials Post Abysmal Scores in Thinking Abilities, Math, Literacy, and Technological Problem-Solving
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/
And this is why the good jobs are never coming back. Now, we need non offensive jobs that aren't too hard, and won't insult one's intelligence.

Boomers created this. And our way of life. The sciences shouldn't have to be pushed on young people. Young people used to have a yearning for learning. Today, everyone wants to get rich by rapping, or playing sports. Where are our priorities as a society???

Old 03-24-2016, 02:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Oh my god, relax. You guys sound like old curmudgeons. Every single generation, and I do mean every single generation, did the same henny penny whining "this generation is the worst" since the beginning of time. Yet here we all are. Go have a cocktail, sit back & relax. Unnecessary hand flapping is bad for your health.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Darn kids with their rock n roll and long hair!

Old 03-24-2016, 03:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I have two millenials and while I can vouch for the high percentage of special snowflakes, I can also say with certainty they aren't all like that. Most are hard working, eager, bright people.

They're different than previous generations in the workplace as far as what motivates them, what their goals are, etc., but they're doing fine.

If anything, they're the ones who should feel screwed with the world they'll probably be facing by the time they're my age.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:23 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh my god, relax. You guys sound like old curmudgeons. Every single generation, and I do mean every single generation, did the same henny penny whining "this generation is the worst" since the beginning of time.
Except now the OECD has test scores that irrefutably prove that US millennials are dumber than the previous generation.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:31 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Judging from what I read on C-D they certainly can't possibly be worst that the present generation, certainly none of the ones that I've met.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:33 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
This generation is staying child like for much longer than normal.

It won't last forever.

Once they realize they are the mark for paying for Leeches, they will grow up real fast.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:06 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I watch my grands 7-11 and they wiz through all my technology apparatus- when they leave I have to put back everything as it was -(after I research and google) all what they opted for- moved, downloaded and erased -turned off -and on- in just 2 days visiting! -- stuff I never heard off- self music videos- online movies, games and what not- they can do it-- I never could fix the Rubik's cube- but I do google and get my stuff working-- they have different brains- here in some school coding is the sough after subject and stem stuff- we however- do NOT help build their minds with all this budget cutting shyte -- we have the Power ball in Fl---- and so where is the money?? --3 items for education for the congress this year - they did NOT touch one- if we are bringing up stupid kids in this country--- check your wallet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies