Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:07 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Judging from what I read on C-D they certainly can't possibly be worst that the present generation, certainly none of the ones that I've met.
Sad but true.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Except now the OECD has test scores that irrefutably prove that US millennials are dumber than the previous generation.
OECD test is not a "skills" test, it is a knowledge test, and it is subjective to opinions.

This is one of the questions

Quote:
Question level 5 - NEW OFFER
Mrs Jones has a loan of 8000 zeds with FirstZed Finance. The annual interest rate on the loan is 15%. Her repayments each month are 150 zeds.

After one year Mrs Jones still owes 7400 zeds.

Another finance company called Zedbest will give Mrs Jones a loan of 10 000 zeds with an annual interest rate of 13%. Her repayments each month would also be 150 zeds.

Question
If she takes the Zedbest loan, Mrs Jones will immediately pay off her existing loan. What are two other financial benefits for Mrs Jones if she takes the Zedbest loan?

The 2 answers are

Quote:
FINANCIAL LITERACY QUESTION (LEVEL 5) THE CORRECT ANSWER IS

She will be paying a lower interest rate AND
She will have more money available
Those are clearly opinions

the interest to be paid on the first loan in total is 5,303.65
the interest paid on the second is 7,841.09

You dont actually have more money, you have more debt to be paid. A lower interest rate is only a better thing if all things are even. ( Same amount of money).

on this particular question, US millennials said their are no benefits in this case or gave a different answer than the 2 given. I say they they were right where as 42% of Chinese believe they have more money just because the loan is bigger, even if you believe you have more initial money, you actually pay back more, and you pay back more in net funds.

God Bless my fellow millennials for realizing a bigger loan is not more money.

Update: oops, both calculations are with monthly interest rates, doesnt really matter as the total payments would still be about the same amount of money apart using yearly.

Last edited by dsjj251; 03-24-2016 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 04:57 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Darn kids with their rock n roll and long hair!
I wish it was like that. I miss those backwards days where rock was considered rebellious. Now it's rebellious if a kid doesn't require meds for seeing the name Trump, or hearing the term Conservative, religion, freedom of speech.... FREEDOM OF SPEECH for Gods (I just traumatized several people) sake.

How bad is it when college students freak out when they see the US flag because it reminds them of colonial expansion?

HOLY Crap Batman... we are in deep doodoo

Old 03-24-2016, 04:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
OECD test is not a "skills" test, it is a knowledge test, and it is subjective to opinions.

This is one of the questions

The 2 answers are

Those are clearly opinions

the interest to be paid on the first loan in total is 5,303.65
the interest paid on the second is 7,841.09

You dont actually have more money, you have more debt to be paid. A lower interest rate is only a better thing if all things are even. ( Same amount of money).

on this particular question, US millennials said their are no benefits in this case or gave a different answer than the 2 given. I say they they were right where as 42% of Chinese believe they have more money just because the loan is bigger, even if you believe you have more initial money, you actually pay back more, and you pay back more in net funds.

God Bless my fellow millennials for realizing a bigger loan is not more money.
Then The Fed sends out its drones to kill Mrs. Jones for using an unsanctioned alternative currency to the dollar.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
We are the ones who raised them and the ones who handed off a totally ruined country. Why would you blame them for anything? I look forward to what they do to resurrect the mess we gave them. We can only go up.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 PM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
I think you have to look to the past to get a glimpse of the future. Look back at the 60's, and what the young people were doing then..protesting their parents wars, looking to right social wrongs, free love, smoking pot, free expression, blah blah blah. And what were the politicians doing? In the middle of a war, spending the future generations into eternal debt, starting the doomed to fail "war on drugs", etc.

Fast forward to today. What are those kids doing now, since they are "the man"? Why, they're still playing war, spending future generations so deep into debt that they'll never get out, and still fighting a failed war on drugs. And the kids of today, we'll they are doing the same things their parents/grandparents did.

So, my prediction is the millenials will be no different than the flower children...and we'll continue on the destructive path of a slow descent into complete insolvency and slavery to our creditors that our overly large government has been on for the past 60 years.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Then The Fed sends out its drones to kill Mrs. Jones for using an unsanctioned alternative currency to the dollar.
That's why they took out half the middle east dictators. Basically we took out Hussein and Gaddafi because they were going to move off the petrol dollar and onto Euros. Look how they are trying to outlaw bitcoin.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
I think you have to look to the past to get a glimpse of the future. Look back at the 60's, and what the young people were doing then..protesting their parents wars, looking to right social wrongs, free love, smoking pot, free expression, blah blah blah. And what were the politicians doing? In the middle of a war, spending the future generations into eternal debt, starting the doomed to fail "war on drugs", etc.

Fast forward to today. What are those kids doing now, since they are "the man"? Why, they're still playing war, spending future generations so deep into debt that they'll never get out, and still fighting a failed war on drugs. And the kids of today, we'll they are doing the same things their parents/grandparents did.

So, my prediction is the millenials will be no different than the flower children...and we'll continue on the destructive path of a slow descent into complete insolvency and slavery to our creditors that our overly large government has been on for the past 60 years.
You are confusing things. Most of those pot smoking hippie dippy protestors stopped fighting the man and started teaching the kids to be just as screwed up as they were. Very few of them became the man. Though your point is well taken.

Basically we are being screwed by those who felt they were being screwed 40 years ago.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:40 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I look at kids today, needing crisis counseling because someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk on a sidewalk, having their parents go WITH them on job interviews, having absolutely zero sense of personal responsibility or ability to handle a crisis and I wonder what's in store for us when they inherit the country.

After all, the youth is the future and WE failed them for enabling and fostering this nonsense that "everyone gets a trophy" or that good parenting is hovering over your kids to the point where they can't function without you.

I truly hope this is just a symptom of the 24/7 news media where we see so many of these stories just because we have access to so much information but I fear it's more systemic and that we are basically screwed.

As others have pointed out, during the greatest generation 18 year olds were storming the beaches in Normandy and today they need crisis counseling because someone wrote the name of a presidential candidate they don't like in chalk.

In my dad's generation, you were EXPECTED to leave the house at 18 and support yourself. Today, you have kids taking their parents with them on job interviews

Forbes Welcome

We are screwed.
First world complacency.
Not staying hungry enough.

One of my relatives (born at the very beginning of the 'Millenial Generation' in California) graduated 6th in a class of about 800 at a large, pretty competitive public high school with a strong college prep curriculum, located in the SF Bay Area. The 5 students who ranked above her were all born in either China or India.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
The problem with millennials is they believed the liberal ideology... They believe they should be able to start a job and earn more money then anyone else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies