Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Those darn women, they just keep getting themselves pregnant then actually want time off to give birth and recover? Good thing the men have nothing to do with the getting pregnant part. They are innocent bystanders.
Listen, I've worked in the corporate field for years, and the changes have been unbelievable.

It is no laughing matter....

Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It most certainly is....and it will continue to be this way, b/c they are finding out, the foreign workers, work for less money and take very little time off.....

we keep asking for things like this, they will lay us off.....

Let me tell you, I've seen big big changes in the past 5 years with corporations....pretty soon it will be like it was, back in the days before the unions....they are taking so much away, and they can do it b/c there is no absolutely no competition....b/c all businesses are doing it.
I agree and especially so with the bold, which is why people need to focus on supporting unions, especially those of us who are not living currently in "right to work" states.

I was amazed upon moving back to my home state of OH within the past few years from GA (a right to work state) how I was offered way more money for the same job and I have twice as many benefits here as I did in GA in regards to vacation/sick time. I only had PTO in GA and had to use it for both sick and vacation time. I get separate, equal amounts for both in Ohio.

Too many people IMO are too "for" businesses in today's environment and not for workers, who are vital to a successful business. And FWIW, many other countries are waking up to this as well as in China and other developing countries they are having a mini-labor movement as well.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:57 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Thank you, yes, I know. I wanted Lifeexplorer to explain why she keep saying that women taking maternity leave is a burden on taxpayers.

I'm sure I won't get a reasonable response to that question.
There are a few scenarios. Let's be sure we talk about the right one.

1. Government mandated, paid maternity leave funded by unemployment - Taxpayers foot the bill.

2. Government mandated, paid maternity leave funded by the employer or disability - Employers/consumers foot the bill.

3. Government mandated, unpaid maternity leave - Employers/consumers foot the bill as the employer has to provide coverage and hold the job open. It's also discriminatory.

4. Unpaid/paid maternity leave offered by employer voluntarily - This is discriminatory.

5. Voluntary, unpaid/paid maternity leave negotiated by both the employee and the employer - I support this one.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 05-05-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,654,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

1. Government mandated, paid maternity leave funded by unemployment - Taxpayers foot the bill.
2. Government mandated, paid maternity leave funded by the employer or disability - Employers/consumers foot the bill.
3. Government mandated, unpaid maternity leave - Employers/consumers foot the bill as the employer has to provide coverage and hold the job open. It's also discriminatory.
4. Unpaid/paid maternity leave offered by employer voluntarily - This is discriminatory.
5. Voluntary, unpaid/paid maternity leave negotiated by both the employee and the employer - I support this one.
How old are you? I'm curious because you seem to know little about how life works.

A woman on maternity leave cannot receive unemployment benefits nor can she receive disability.

If the woman is on UNPAID leave, that means the employer is not paying her, so the employer can hire a temp if needed. Since the employer is not paying the woman's normal salary to her, he has the extra funds to pay someone to fill her position on a temp basis. None of this is discriminatory.

Oh and you're #4 & #5 are the same, however you support one and say the other is discriminatory.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:17 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
It most certainly is....and it will continue to be this way, b/c they are finding out, the foreign workers, work for less money and take very little time off.....

we keep asking for things like this, they will lay us off.....

Let me tell you, I've seen big big changes in the past 5 years with corporations....pretty soon it will be like it was, back in the days before the unions....they are taking so much away, and they can do it b/c there is no absolutely no competition....b/c all businesses are doing it.
All this started way back with NAFTA.
Why should American workers give up job protection laws we have had for over 20 years because of corporate greed and corrupt government. We need to repel NAFTA and curb immigration and get tough on illegal immigration.
Competition is one thing but going with the lowest bidder at the expense of our entire society is going to be our downfall.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:21 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
How old are you? I'm curious because you seem to know little about how life works.

A woman on maternity leave cannot receive unemployment benefits nor can she receive disability.

If the woman is on UNPAID leave, that means the employer is not paying her, so the employer can hire a temp if needed. Since the employer is not paying the woman's normal salary to her, he has the extra funds to pay someone to fill her position on a temp basis. None of this is discriminatory.

Oh and you're #4 & #5 are the same, however you support one and say the other is discriminatory.
#4 is discriminatory because it's not offered to all employees but only to those who want kids.

Unpaid leave mandated by the government is not good for the employer as it has no choice or say. Again, it's not offered to those who don't want kids.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:22 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
All this started way back with NAFTA.
Why should American workers give up job protection laws we have had for over 20 years because of corporate greed and corrupt government. We need to repel NAFTA and curb immigration and get tough on illegal immigration.
Competition is one thing but going with the lowest bidder at the expense of our entire society is going to be our downfall.
I agree with you, however, this isn't about illegal immigrants, this is the H-1B and H-2B laws for hiring foreign workers...google them.

I'd been noticing a great increase of foreign workers in our company only to find this out....
grrrrrrrrr

pretty soon, there will be no work left for Americans, they've already farmed out our textile and clothing factories....

I don't believe people have a full understanding of what is going on, right underneath our noses...people think your lying, b/c God forbid their politican's would never lie to them, nor would the news media.

Do you know how many times, I hear people say, "how come I never heard about this?".

2mares, it is most certainly a reality...and IS happening.

same with the illegals, as long as they are not inconveniencing, Americans, American's say, Open the borders....well, they should all move down south and in CA and see what is happening. And they vow to take back CA?

But people won't believe reality.

companies can save money by hiring workers who do not require pensions, time off, and who will work for less money. They come over here, work for the allocated time, leave, and another comes over....It is happening. asking for 6 weeks paid time off, will just loose more jobs for people.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:

When I lived in California, maternity qualified as short-term disability, and I could collect something like half my paycheck for four weeks prior to my due date up to six weeks afterward. That varies by state, though. My third child was born in Colorado, which did not have that policy.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

1. There is no such thing
2. There is no such thing
3. FMLA does not come with an employer premium. Unpaid means no monetary compensation. The employer must hold your job for medical and family situations that are covered. They can hire a temp during that time who is costing less than the original employee. There is no discrimination as FMLA covers anyone falling within the guidelines. So #3, there is no such thing.
4. Benefits and accommodations offered by employers are not discriminatory.
5. Now this is what our maternity leave is, so whats the problem? I work for a company that has under 50 employees, if I were to become pregnant, LOL, and took in excess of my accumulated leave time my boss could fire me. That is the way it is for many people. But my boss recognized his employees are an asset to his business and makes accommodations to keep his loyal employees.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, however, this isn't about illegal immigrants, this is the H-1B and H-2B laws for hiring foreign workers...google them.

I'd been noticing a great increase of foreign workers in our company only to find this out....
grrrrrrrrr

pretty soon, there will be no work left for Americans, they've already farmed out our textile and clothing factories....

I don't believe people have a full understanding of what is going on, right underneath our noses...people think your lying, b/c God forbid their politican's would never lie to them, nor would the news media.

Do you know how many times, I hear people say, "how come I never heard about this?".

2mares, it is most certainly a reality...and IS happening.

same with the illegals, as long as they are not inconveniencing, Americans, American's say, Open the borders....well, they should all move down south and in CA and see what is happening. And they vow to take back CA?

But people won't believe reality.

companies can save money by hiring workers who do not require pensions, time off, and who will work for less money. They come over here, work for the allocated time, leave, and another comes over....It is happening. asking for 6 weeks paid time off, will just loose more jobs for people.
I believe you but I dont think it is FMLA that is flushing things down the crapper. If I ask for 6 weeks off I am the only one affected. Companies are going to hire those willing to work for nothing and never take a day off as long as they are permitted to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies