Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
That should be left between the employee and employer, not the congress.
Agreed.

If you are a great employee and add to the bottom line with your skill set and talent, they will find a way to accommodate your reasonable request for person leave. If not, why would you want to work for a company that doesn't appreciate your significant contributions ? If you're now questioning whether your contributions are significant enough.....perhaps they are too !

Do I think a parent being home with young kids is a good idea ? You're darn right I do. We made it work by careful budgeting, cutting back on many things as best we could....and yes, I was fortunate enough to be making a living wage, but it still required a change in lifestyle and some sacrifices to make the budget work. I just don't understand the government getting involved in what should be a personal decision based on your circumstances. We decided to have kids....no one else forced us to do so. We decided we could afford to have kids and had the ability to care for them in what we felt as a proper manner....and then we had kids !

Old 05-04-2016, 12:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
People don't choose to be sick.

I don't quite understand how people can be so selfish, greedy, unethical, and immoral to ask taxpayers aka society to pay for your own children?

If you can't afford to have children, why have them?
Because our children grow up to be the next generation of workers, taxpayers, voters, and so on. My daughter might become the doctor who saves your life someday or the judge who presides over your court case. My son might become the firefighter who saves your house or rescues you after an accident. Society perpetuates itself.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:26 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
If the society truly needs babies, it would be against same-sex marriage.

If couples had to choose between a job and a family what do you suppose would happen? It's up to the couple to decide.

Well until recently society has been against same-sex marriage. Same sex marriage will not have an affect on the population, BTW. If society didn't support reproduction it wouldn't have so many tax breaks and incentives for couples to have children, it wouldn't fight sex education, free contraception and abortion rights.

If couples had to choose, since almost half of pregnancies are unintended, there would be a lot more welfare, a lot more poverty since many women would lose their job. More babies/children being left in inappropriate situations so desperate mothers could return to work, thus more abuse and death. More abortion. Even fewer births among the more educated and working class as opposed to the welfare class causing an increased disproportion between the self sufficient and dependent.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Because our children grow up to be the next generation of workers, taxpayers, voters, and so on. My daughter might become the doctor who saves your life someday or the judge who presides over your court case. My son might become the firefighter who saves your house or rescues you after an accident. Society perpetuates itself.
Or welfare queens with 15 babies paid by taxpayers, one of the 47% of the population not paying any taxes, or criminals and terrorists raping, murdering and slaughtering people.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
People don't choose to be sick.

I don't quite understand how people can be so selfish, greedy, unethical, and immoral to ask taxpayers aka society to pay for your own children?

If you can't afford to have children, why have them?
Oh for Pete's sake, taxpayers aren't paying for their children, they are taking up to 12 weeks UNPAID LEAVE. They are asking to be able to return to their jobs, that is all. How is that not paying for your own children.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Well until recently society has been against same-sex marriage. Same sex marriage will not have an affect on the population, BTW. If society didn't support reproduction it wouldn't have so many tax breaks and incentives for couples to have children, it wouldn't fight sex education, free contraception and abortion rights.

If couples had to choose, since almost half of pregnancies are unintended, there would be a lot more welfare, a lot more poverty since many women would lose their job. More babies/children being left in inappropriate situations so desperate mothers could return to work, thus more abuse and death. More abortion. Even fewer births among the more educated and working class as opposed to the welfare class causing an increased disproportion between the self sufficient and dependent.
Again, for the thousands of times, if you can't afford to have and raise your children on your own, please do not have them.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh for Pete's sake, taxpayers aren't paying for their children, they are taking up to 12 weeks UNPAID LEAVE. They are asking to be able to return to their jobs, that is all. How is that not paying for your own children.
There would be if there's a government mandate on maternity leave.

Even with today's company policy, it's discriminating against those who don't have or plan to have children.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Or welfare queens with 15 babies paid by taxpayers, one of the 47% of the population not paying any taxes, or criminals and terrorists raping, murdering and slaughtering people.
And the chance of that increase when mom loses her job and has to go on welfare because she had to take a few weeks off after childbirth.
Whats better a guarantee of your job back in a few weeks so you can continue to provide for your family and contribute to the tax base or generations of living off the tax base you dont contribute to.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:36 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
My dog is having puppies soon, I need a couple weeks off work to help her out around the house and what not...

Old 05-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
My dog is having puppies soon, I need a couple weeks off work to help her out around the house and what not...
Animals are not covered under FMLA, though it wouldn't surprise me if the idea is brought up.
I had a co-worker who negotiated with the boss to pay the boarding costs for his dogs while he was out of town on business for the company.
Is that discrimination against those who don't have dogs and those who do but don't need boarding because they don't go out of town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies