Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 05:47 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have never worked at a big company or job where I would have to cover shifts or take on someone else work load for an extended time. I dont know how common that is so there may be a legitimate gripe. But this would occur in cases of extended illness, etc. also not just maternity. I would think an employer would try to distribute the work load among employees to lessen the burden if they refused to hire a temp.
yes, you would think an employer would do that, but they don't always....they don't care any longer about their employees, all they care about is the money charts and are they climbing and if they are not, then, they want something done about it. Remember, they are tied into Wall Street and promises.

Sicknesses are not a choice, having a child is. However, I can see both sides of this coin, so I'm on the fence about it, but please, don't kid yourself, companies (big corporations) are no longer the same as they once were. They are chipping away slowly at the rights of their employees so they can make more money. That is all they care about, they care less about their employees and customers then ever before. If that weren't true, you wouldn't be calling customer service, and talking to people who not only can't understand English, they also can't speak it. The companies don't give a hoot, all they know is, that they can pay those people pennies, compared to companies here in America.

Distribute the work load. (and I'm not angry at you, honestly) Do you have any idea what is going on out there within companies? First of all, they have laid off so many people and now, those that are left have been forced to take on double the work load. People on my team, are so overworked, they've got double and triple meetings on their schedules?

Then, adding insult to injury, companies all over the states are doing this....plus taking advantage of the H-1B program....or H-2B, program, which ever is the business entity. So, all these people who are from other countries are coming here and working...and I haven't even touched base on our colleges. If you live near a college, you know what I'm talking about.

It is crazy how human beings go from one extreme to the next...never, ever do they do things in moderation. Ever!!!!

Sorry 2mares...I'm just disgusted...that Americans do not know what is "really" going on out there....our news media, is one of disgust as they keep all this information from us.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 05-05-2016 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So when will you be starting your own health insurance company?

I'm sure it'll be a snap for you .... nothing out of the ordinary.
Why do you defend crony capitalism? That is the real issue. Can you answer that simple question?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well I want the perks of having a job that pays 4 times what I make.

Oh wait ..... I'm expected to do WHAT.... ..... actually obtain the skills needed and obtain said job???? But I WANT IT!!!!
The above statement has no relationship to the subject of family leave. No one is talking about salaries.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Oops, I found a solitary human! I will say your species is not listed as solitary. Cooperation with others brought our civilization, but we have a long ways to go.

No one is telling you to be a communist and you do not have to contribute to society. However, as much as you try you will never be a solitary animal and will have to interact and even benefit from your association with others.

BTW, I am not against individualism and as you know we are not ants. We must find a happy medium to advance and become more civilized.
I'm forced every day to contribute to society, via taxes taken from me and given to others, in the name of the greater good.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Who pays for the leave? Someone must have to cover the cost when the person takes the leave, no? Who are the someone?
In the US the employer might if that company offers paid maternity leave, but that is a rarity. Normally a woman must use her accumulated leave, sick, personal and vacation. The same benefits every employee gets and can use at their discretion. Anything past that is UNPAID. UNPAID as in no one is paying, there is no cost. This has been explained ad nauseam.

I dont know a lot about maternity leave in Canada but it appears it falls under the Employment Insurance Act and sounds like our Unemployment Insurance where the employer pays into the system and employees collect a fraction of their wages for a specific period of time if they are laid-off. IDK if the employee pays a premium for Employment Insurance in Canada.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 AM

I believe women should have equal pay, "if" they are indeed as good as the men, but if they keep on asking for time off like this, they will work us right out of jobs.

I don't believe most women realize, just how many companies are hiring foreign workers due to this sheiot.
You want to work or you want kids, or do both, but this is going to continue to break the camels back.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm forced every day to contribute to society, via taxes taken from me and given to others, in the name of the greater good.
Yep!

The history of humans (and many other mammals) shows that the members of society tend to contribute something to society. As I said humans are not solitary animals, therefore contributing something is unavoidable.

Members of society that contribute nothing to the system is a NEW phenomenon.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, you would think an employer would do that, but they don't always....they don't care any longer about their employees, all they care about is the money charts and are they climbing and if they are not, then, they want something done about it. Remember, they are tied into Wall Street and promises.

Sicknesses are not a choice, having a child is. However, I can see both sides of this coin, so I'm on the fence about it, but please, don't kid yourself, companies (big corporations) are no longer the same as they once were. They are chipping away slowly at the rights of their employees so they can make more money. That is all they care about, they care less about their employees and customers then ever before. If that weren't true, you wouldn't be calling customer service, and talking to people who not only can't understand English, they also can't speak it. The companies don't give a hoot, all they know is, that they can pay those people pennies, compared to companies here in America.

Distribute the work load. (and I'm not angry at you, honestly) Do you have any idea what is going on out there within companies? First of all, they have laid off so many people and now, those that are left have been forced to take on double the work load. People on my team, are so overworked, they've got double and triple meetings on their schedules?

Then, adding insult to injury, companies all over the states are doing this....plus taking advantage of the H-1B program....or H-2B, program, which ever is the business entity. So, all these people who are from other countries are coming here and working...and I haven't even touched base on our colleges. If you live near a college, you know what I'm talking about.

It is crazy how human beings go from one extreme to the next...never, ever do they do things in moderation. Ever!!!!

Sorry 2mares...I'm just disgusted...that Americans do not know what is "really" going on out there....our news media, is one of disgust as they keep all this information from us.
It sounds to me the problem is corporate greed and not unpaid maternity leave.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:17 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,654,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I believe women should have equal pay, "if" they are indeed as good as the men, but if they keep on asking for time off like this, they will work us right out of jobs.

I don't believe most women realize, just how many companies are hiring foreign workers due to this sheiot.
You want to work or you want kids, or do both, but this is going to continue to break the camels back.
Those darn women, they just keep getting themselves pregnant then actually want time off to give birth and recover? Good thing the men have nothing to do with the getting pregnant part. They are innocent bystanders.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It sounds to me the problem is corporate greed and not unpaid maternity leave.

It most certainly is....and it will continue to be this way, b/c they are finding out, the foreign workers, work for less money and take very little time off.....

we keep asking for things like this, they will lay us off.....

Let me tell you, I've seen big big changes in the past 5 years with corporations....pretty soon it will be like it was, back in the days before the unions....they are taking so much away, and they can do it b/c there is no absolutely no competition....b/c all businesses are doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies