Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
No it isn't. It has nothing to do with a child and everything to do with the employee.

The US isn't Canada where a year of maternity leave is paid for by the government via tax dollars.

It's either company policy (hard to find, unless something has drastically changed since 1999) or you collect disability for 6 weeks. Which you paid in to and comes nowhere close to your weekly salary - even if you get the highest amount disability will pay out.

Maternity leave can also be a term used for why someone who gave birth isn't at the job for a few weeks - and the company doesn't necessarily pay for it.

Should have known how to manage child caring? What does that mean?

One isn't a vacation while the other is.
Who is doing your work when you are on leave? Who's paying for that?

Manage child caring means the person should know the time and money required to care for a child. If the person uses up all the vacation time, she or he should negotiate with the employer or just quit the job.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I finally get your point. You do not distinguish true capitalism from crony capitalism. You fail to see these companies have to grease the wheels of congress to operate.

You also equate innovation and creation of new technologies with a company that has not created anything. As I said insurance is a very old concept and was initially done as a COOP among citizens. There is no need for 66 million dollar men directing a system that can be run by a good computer programmer and a physician that is simply interested in providing medical care for a fee.
You apparently have no idea how the insurance companies work - neither do I. I only have a glimpse through my own medical care experience to know how complex it is. Please keep in mind, all insurance companies are for profit companies, not charity.

For example, what medicine should be covered? If a drug is approved by FDA for use to treat one disease but somehow it works for another disease, should it be cover for treating the other disease? There are literally millions of medicines, treatments, procedures, interactions, diseases, regulations, etc. Just to keep track of them is an enormous task, not to mention each patient would have completely different situation. How to make profit out of this complicated situation is a really good question.

A good computer programmer can grasp that? Good luck! I have interviewed hundreds of programmers and not one had any kind of business sense. I happened to learn a few things about Electronic Medical Record. It's NOT simple. Definitely not for a physician to grasp.

The idea of insurance may be old but to make it work in today's increasingly complex and specialized world is innovative. Please keep in mind, Microsoft never really "invented" anything - they just copied them and made them more available to the end users. They got "lucky" to start the company with IBM behind them. I do say this loosely as Microsoft is quite innovative too.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't see anyone angry that she would like time off. The case I'm seeing is that everyone should be treated exactly the same and have the same benefit/compensation package. If everyone can choose X weeks off, with or without pay, that's fine. If the only reason is maternity leave, it's an unfair and discriminatory policy.
But everyone is entitled to maternity leave should they need/want it so it is not discriminatory. It would be discriminatory if it were only given to some pregnant people and not other pregnant people.

Why are people mad that they arent getting something they dont need. Our health insurance covers pediatric dentistry only. Adults are not covered. I dont have children at home. Should I be mad because my co workers get coverage for their children and I dont for children I dont have. Birth control is also covered, my premiums pay for that too but I dont need it. Should those that do need BC not get it because I dont need it?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But everyone is entitled to maternity leave should they need/want it so it is not discriminatory. It would be discriminatory if it were only given to some pregnant people and not other pregnant people.

Why are people mad that they arent getting something they dont need. Our health insurance covers pediatric dentistry only. Adults are not covered. I dont have children at home. Should I be mad because my co workers get coverage for their children and I dont for children I dont have. Birth control is also covered, my premiums pay for that too but I dont need it. Should those that do need BC not get it because I dont need it?
It's discrimination against non-pregnant people.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:36 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's discrimination against non-pregnant people.
Oh, please. If you want 6 weeks unpaid leave, have a baby. Or a heart attack, stroke or whatever is covered under FMLA. Get a part time job, negotiate for extra vacation.
I really dont understand your negativity towards trying to accommodate workers and families. Would you prefer those who cant work full time, have medical issues, family emergencies, handicaps, etc. be forced to quit their jobs and go on welfare?

Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:

That is actually wrong. You should not be have to be subsidizing dental insurance for children when it is not available to you as an individual insured, as standard care that everyone needs. This IS something people should object to. It is part of Obamacare. Dental issues are medical issues, we know this now more than ever before, a dental infection can kill, adult dental insurance is awful unless the employer covers it and many cannot afford much dental care.

Birth control is just covered as a prescription medication.

Maternity leave beyond FMLA is a perk, like allowing extra vacation time.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
this subject makes me crazy and I'm a woman.

Women are constantly screaming b/c they want equal rights/equal pay, and then they come up with something like this, and I'm a woman????

They want it all, they want kids, want a career, want equal pay, and when they leave work to have a baby, they want maternity leave? And if the company doesn't hire a temp to do their position, while they are gone, every one else has to suffer and pick up her slack. Makes no sense what-so-ever and is unfair to the rest of her co-workers....

I read where foreign countries said, American's are selfish, lazy etc....and they are....we want astronomical pays, paid benefits, and don't want to work?

and this is one of the reasons why companies hire foreign employees.....we've done this to ourselves.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Oh, please. If you want 6 weeks unpaid leave, have a baby. Or a heart attack, stroke or whatever is covered under FMLA. Get a part time job, negotiate for extra vacation.
I really dont understand your negativity towards trying to accommodate workers and families. Would you prefer those who cant work full time, have medical issues, family emergencies, handicaps, etc. be forced to quit their jobs and go on welfare?
Again, having a baby is not sickness. It's no different from wanting a long vacation.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
this subject makes me crazy and I'm a woman.

Women are constantly screaming b/c they want equal rights/equal pay, and then they come up with something like this, and I'm a woman????

They want it all, they want kids, want a career, want equal pay, and when they leave work to have a baby, they want maternity leave? And if the company doesn't hire a temp to do their position, while they are gone, every one else has to suffer and pick up her slack. Makes no sense what-so-ever and is unfair to the rest of her co-workers....

I read where foreign countries said, American's are selfish, lazy etc....and they are....we want astronomical pays, paid benefits, and don't want to work?

and this is one of the reasons why companies hire foreign employees.....we've done this to ourselves.
Last time some female CEO said this, she was universally criticized for being... honest.

Basically she said I became a CEO because I made my choice such as not having babies.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Like the above poster said, women of child bearing age will not be hired by anybody smart enough to understand this crap. Keep complaining, perma victims that think you are OWED for not producing, and I'm not talking about popping out a child.

Choices. Widdle womyn. Choices. Plan your life. Most don't want to take care of you. YOUR CHOICE.

I hire married men with kids, first. Second, women over 40 with kids/no kids. Third Lesbian women that mention they are not interested in kids. BTW, I don't ever ask, against the law. But I have ears.

Choices. The Left, always beyond logic. I care for my employees. I DON'T WANT SOME TO HAVE AN ADVANTAGE OTHERS DO NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies