Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 PM

399 posts, read 555,578 times

Advertisements

What if you do not believe in God?
Using the approach that NO ONE can fully 100% confirm the existence of God does not possess relevance. "Faith" in God is not enough to rule other people's lives. If they are gay or not.

Why should gay people be repressed for something that comes natural for them. Its not like humans are the only ones that are involved in homosexual behavior. There are animals that do it too, so please try not to use "Cultural differences"

Love is not a religious/political statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,147,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
Love is not a religious/political statement.
It probably shouldn't be, but it looks like it very well can be.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It probably shouldn't be, but it looks like it very well can be.
Only when coupled with arrogance and intolerance.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,885,877 times
Default what's wrong with 3% of the populace calling the shots ?

tHE wEBSTER defines marriage as "union between a man and a women"
Blast the Webster, why not an autodafe of dictionaries ?Newspeak must prevail!
All religions (Christian-save a little minority in some Protestant denominations-, Jew, Moslem, Shintoist, Animist, you name it) oppose / ignore gay "marriage" : blast all religions , they all are bigots anyway
Ask a first-grader, and in 99% of the cases (especially if he's a boy), he'll say : "you mean those ******s are going to marry like mom and dad?"
Send gay-bi-trans commandos to schools to "destroy the roots of homophobia"
Should I go on ?
Some give the money argument : that's going to bring a lot of money to California, and in these times of economic crisis ...blablabla...how despicable! I guess it's the kind of people who would sell their little sister for a few bucks....
It's a sad , very sad day, where 3% of the US populace (meaning the militant homosexuals, and I'm generous in my assessment) call the shots for the rest 97% , who are terrified to opposed that decision for fear of being branded "homophobes", "Bible-thumbers", "fascist", "reactionaries"...
Where has the American spirit gone? in the Sixties we had still collectively that pionner spirit , remember : JFK, the New Frontier, Apollo, we went to the moon...now all that seems important is to go for Joe's *******...
I'm very pessimistic as to the future of our nation, I think we are already morally bankrupt.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
IMHO - Gay marrrage is nearly certain to reduce the incidence of sodomy.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,669,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I think a big issue is that biblically it is wrong (it is, sorry). The Bible speaks clearly against it and that marriage is to be b/w man and woman.
The Bible says it's an abomination. The same book of the Bible also says shellfish are an abomination. So when are fundamentalists going to start picketing outside the Red Lobster, and condemning people to hell for eating shrimp scampi?

Our country is based on a Constitution, not an ancient book of myths and superstitions.

If two people of the same sex want to marry, it doesn't affect my own marriage one iota. To quote Jefferson, it's one of those things that "neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

I admit, I don't particularly like seeing two men being affectionate. But that's why I'm not affectionate with other men! For those who are attracted to the same sex, why shouldn't they have the same social and legal rights as my wife and I do? Why shouldn't they be able to commit to each other in a legal ceremony? It's none of my concern.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
I don't personally oppose it, but I understand and respect the POV of people who do.

Traditional marriage has been pretty well under attack since, oh, at least the 60s-- the no-fault divorce laws got pushed under the idea that "what difference does it make to YOU if other people choose to get a divorce?" etc.

Well, obviously, it did matter to the institution as a whole, more than most people could have guessed; and now a mere 40 years later, we're hearing the same "what's-it-to-you?" refrain from basically the same radical-elite social quarters who actively disrespect traditionalists and "fundies?"
Well, I'm just a garden-variety libertarian, not a "radical elite." And I still contend: What difference does it make? The fact that it's easier to get a divorce today doesn't make my love my wife any less, and it doesn't compel me to want to get a divorce every time we have an argument. It has NO EFFECT on my marriage. Neither will gay marriage.

If people just focus on their own relationships, they'll be fine, even if society goes to hell all around them.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,438,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Gay marriage should not be considered/accepted via a religeous or civil ceremony. It should be entered into as a Partnership like that of a business dealing contract. If there were problems, then the court system would not have to be involved as to litigation of assests. If gay marriage is permitted then the courts will have an extra burden placed on the judicial system when their happy BLISS falls apart. Steve
That's nonsensical. The court spends VAST amounts of time adjudicating contract disputes.

Besides, there is no "extra" burden on the system. Imagine if all the guys marrying guys had married the women marrying women. Same amount of marriages in total.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
Not really. If mass numbers of my neighbors divorce, their kids are still living in my neighborhood, relying more and more on taxpayer-funded services, causing more school and community disruption, and generally making life more difficult for me and my own family.

In small numbers, these problems were easily absorbed. In a world where half of all marriages end in divorce, the fallout becomes difficult to handle. In a world where half of all kids are born to people who didn't even bother to marry in the first place... you witness a lot of community disintegration.

Flight to the atomized 'burbs where you think you can hide from the dysfunction.

The value of stable two-parent households to community development are quite well-established. The kids are less prone to crime, drugs, violence, more likely to finish school, less likely to get pregnant as teenagers, blah, blah, blah.

So yeah, easy divorce has been very bad for everyone, even the long-term marrieds.
The problems you point to have to do with the people involved in the relationships, not the laws themselves. If you enter into a relationship, have children, and can't make an effort to stay together even for their sake, then shame on you. Likewise, if two people enter into what's supposed to be a lifetime commitment, and they can't take those vows seriously enough to stay committed and work through the ups and downs, again, shame on them for not taking it seriously in the first place.

I understand that divorce is sometimes the only alternative, when things like abuse and infidelity come into the picture. For those cases, I'm glad that divorces are available for people, and that marriages aren't impossible to get out of. But again, it's not the fault of "easy divorces" that marriages fall apart. It's the fault of the people who sometimes take advantage of those laws to get out of a relationship rather than fight to make it work.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,885,877 times
The topic here is 'gay marriage', not divorce (although I'm convinced there will soon be 'gay divorces', as nasty as some 'straight divorces', there is already one in London).
The Gay Lobby, overwhemingly dominant on this thread,-which is telling- tries to mix things up. It's all part of the same strategy . Having the minds confused to be able to forward their political agenda.
If we listen to them, it's all a rose garden , all they want is to empower all the gays who wish to be married, and they "will be happy and have lots of [adopted] children -end of story"-
And some people (straight) are so naive that they believe the Gay Lobby will stop there its everincreasing pressure on society.
Gays are not a foreign species, they are human beings, and as such they relish power.
They want their way of life to be the dominant one in this century.
"Doom and gloom" ????? wait, my friends, watch how History will unfold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies