Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 09:00 PM

501 posts, read 362,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I knew they were illegal when I invited them to dinner. I don't hold anything against the people once they are here really, except they ARE breaking the law, whatever their reason may be doesn't excuse that. But I'd be a hypocrite if I said I couldn't be friends with anyone who broke the law.

But this brings brings up another straw man fallacy of the left.....that somehow those who are against illegal immigration are advocating "rounding them all up" (Hillary's boxcar BS ring a bell?)

Attack the problem from every necessary angle and there will be no need to "round them all up" or "deport them all at once".
Quote:
Scott Pelley: Eleven, 12 million illegal immigrants--

Donald Trump: Or whatever the number is.

Scott Pelley: Still in the country, what do you do?

Donald Trump: If they've done well they're going out and they're coming back in legally. Because you said it----

Scott Pelley: You're rounding them all up?

Donald Trump: We're rounding 'em up in a very humane way, in a very nice way.
And they're going to be happy because they want to be legalized. And, by the way, I know it doesn't sound nice. But not everything is nice.
Round 'em up! REGULATORS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
There is no reason that labor has to be part of that trade.
Then we are not using the same definition of free market.

In order to have a truly free market, finished goods and the things required to produce those finished goods - capital, raw material, and labor - must be free to follow the financial rewards. Otherwise, prices can't reach their "natural" level. And the labor part of the relationship devolves to wage slavery.

What we have now is a public discussion where people, including many politicians and business owners, give lip service to the free market when it suits them, and ignore the inconvenient parts of the philosophy. This is normal human behavior, but because we have so many people who think the mythical free market is the best yardstick against which to measure economic policy, it leads to some very dubious policy decisions, which don't work because they can't work.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
Let's not get dramatic. There would be a roar of approval from right-wing lower-income Americans, but a resounding "meh" from most Democrats, and a big "ugh" from higher income right-wingers.

Over 2/3 majority of Americans feel illegal immigration is bad for the nation.

Almost 3/4 of the entire population, feel it is too late and unreasonable to round them up and deport them all.

Almost 2/3rd majority feel birthright citizenship is wrong. With over 3/4 saying we cannot deport the children born here.

It has been a battle of sovereignty and compassion for 35 years now, with a blind eye turned to those here and those employing them.

In 1986, it was said over and over, it would not work, without illegal alien employer sanctions, to deter hiring.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:06 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Man I had no idea that the D-day invasion of Normandy and the Battle of Lexington could be linked to people hiring illegals to do home construction, but you did it, man!

As this thread has been about, it's not just home construction and it's not just illegals.

It's about imported labor undercutting what Americans worked for in all sectors of the economy.

It's about the Progessive left wanting to bring America down to the rest of the world's level out of some twisted sense of Marxist ideology that tells them we have gotten too big for our britches and it's not "fair" to the rest of the world.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:11 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Then we are not using the same definition of free market.

In order to have a truly free market, finished goods and the things required to produce those finished goods - capital, raw material, and labor - must be free to follow the financial rewards. Otherwise, prices can't reach their "natural" level. And the labor part of the relationship devolves to wage slavery.

What we have now is a public discussion where people, including many politicians and business owners, give lip service to the free market when it suits them, and ignore the inconvenient parts of the philosophy. This is normal human behavior, but because we have so many people who think the mythical free market is the best yardstick against which to measure economic policy, it leads to some very dubious policy decisions, which don't work because they can't work.

There is nothing "free market" about intentionally importing cheap labor for the specific purpose of keeping wages artificially low.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:11 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I would have thought that you would report them (if that's actually possible). With that said, your inaction, which I don't fault you for, illustrates that at the end of the day we're talking about people. I don't think anybody, including Trump, is going to really deport all the illegals.

Neither party is going to want to be associated with the largest roundup of people this country has ever seen. We've put up with it for so long (for better or worse) and such action would appear draconian. Especially if the only crime they committed was crossing the border illegally.

[and what's Trump's plan for the employers?]

How many of them's only crime was to cross the border illegally though? We don't need to round them all up just continue to enforce the laws on the books rather than giving them stays of deportation. We also need to remove all of the incentives for them to remain here. People break laws and they should be held accountable for it no matter who they are.

And by the way, reporting them does no good since Obama has a hands off approach to them unless the are "convicted" criminals.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I don't blame the workers themselves really.

I don't hire them, so working with them is a necessary evil. Simply not my call.

Well you should. They made the choice to violate our immigration laws, didn't they? No one forced them over the border and they knew that what they were doing was wrong. No one forces them to work illegally in this country either.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:17 PM

501 posts, read 362,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Over 2/3 majority of Americans feel illegal immigration is bad for the nation.

Almost 3/4 of the entire population, feel it is too late and unreasonable to round them up and deport them all.

Almost 2/3rd majority feel birthright citizenship is wrong. With over 3/4 saying we cannot deport the children born here.

It has been a battle of sovereignty and compassion for 35 years now, with a blind eye turned to those here and those employing them.

In 1986, it was said over and over, it would not work, without illegal alien employer sanctions, to deter hiring.
http://www.people-press.org/files/20...3-53-56-PM.png

As this link shows, most Democrats want illegals to be given a path to citizenship, not deportation.

Thus, "Meh."

Old 05-21-2016, 09:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
http://www.people-press.org/files/20...3-53-56-PM.png

As this link shows, most Democrats want illegals to be given a path to citizenship, not deportation.

Thus, "Meh."

And that my friend, is treason.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
They would still be a burden because they still avow themselves of basic social services. The only difference is that have a little card that says they can be here because some bureaucrat stamped their seal of approval on a care. Big whoop.

There is a big difference between controlled legal immigration and uncontrolled illegal immigration and the financial costs involved. One is planned for and one is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies