Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 08:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I don't blame the workers themselves really.

I don't hire them, so working with them is a necessary evil. Simply not my call.
I would have thought that you would report them (if that's actually possible). With that said, your inaction, which I don't fault you for, illustrates that at the end of the day we're talking about people. I don't think anybody, including Trump, is going to really deport all the illegals.

Neither party is going to want to be associated with the largest roundup of people this country has ever seen. We've put up with it for so long (for better or worse) and such action would appear draconian. Especially if the only crime they committed was crossing the border illegally.

[and what's Trump's plan for the employers?]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:43 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Heaven forbid Americans actually pick strawberries. How humilliating! Long ago, millions of young Americans of European descent used to leave the city to live out on farms and do farm work during the summer months, then return in the fall.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:44 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I agree. But there is no such thing as a free market within a nation's borders when that nation trades all over the world. There can't be.

There is no reason that imported labor has to be part of that trade.

Last edited by FatBob96; 05-21-2016 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 05-21-2016, 08:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What would happen if Trump deports all the illegals when he's elected?

People on the other side of the earth, would hear this loud roaring sound and wonder... What is that.

It would be the roar of Americans, winning a battle that has been waged for 35 years of open borders and no accountability.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
American developed technology? You act as if private technology developed at Microsoft or Apple is somehow owned and created by an American collective hivemind. I *wish* I had something to do with Microsoft and Apple's success but even though i've been an American for decades, I've contributed nearly nothing to technology in the US. (Oh boy that's depressing! Well I did develop some pretty entertaining fan mods for PC games about 16 years ago)

"US technology and text books" are actually all created by private Americans who sell their books and technology to Americans and foreigners worldwide. For profit. It's only fair that if an Indian buys a textbook and learns from it, that he should be able to then sell his newfound skills in the US marketplace as well. For profit.
Actually on a lot of it I was there. Talked to the folk at Intel about how to build a microprocessor long before they built one. Had better in house products than Intel or Motorola until after the initial round of microprocessors. And yes there was American technology and it could well have been protected. Would likely have been had Jobs not jumped the other way.

it is relatively simple to write legislation banning the export of technology. We do it all the time on stuff of supposed military interest. I could write an expansion to cover most of interest in a week or two.

I would think though even better would simply be to establish liability to anyone who ships software off the continent. If it gets compromised the one who ships it is responsible. Simple and probably ends the process. And if you combine it with proper regulation of imported techies it works out well for the US work force.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:51 PM

501 posts, read 362,110 times
So are you suggesting that because you helped Intel build a microprocessor that Intel owes me, shihku7, priority placement for a job in the hypothetical situation that I had the same skillset as you?

That's really.... uh.... weird.

I mean you've been totally free to CREATE your own Intel-like company and freely choose not to hire foreigners, and only people like me, shihku7. But it doesn't sound like you ran or owned Intel so I don't know how you can say you should be able to stop Intel, or Microsoft or Apple from hiring foreigners.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
People on the other side of the earth, would hear this loud roaring sound and wonder... What is that.

It would be the roar of Americans, winning a battle that has been waged for 35 years of open borders and no accountability.
Let's not get dramatic. There would be a roar of approval from right-wing lower-income Americans, but a resounding "meh" from most Democrats, and a big "ugh" from higher income right-wingers.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:52 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I would have thought that you would report them (if that's actually possible). With that said, your inaction, which I don't fault you for, illustrates that at the end of the day we're talking about people. I don't think anybody, including Trump, is going to really deport all the illegals.

Neither party is going to want to be associated with the largest roundup of people this country has ever seen. We've put up with it for so long (for better or worse) and such action would appear draconian. Especially if the only crime they committed was crossing the border illegally.

[and what's Trump's plan for the employers?]

I knew they were illegal when I invited them to dinner. I don't hold anything against the people once they are here really, except they ARE breaking the law, whatever their reason may be doesn't excuse that. But I'd be a hypocrite if I said I couldn't be friends with anyone who broke the law.

But this brings brings up another straw man fallacy of the left.....that somehow those who are against illegal immigration are advocating "rounding them all up" (Hillary's boxcar BS ring a bell?)

Attack the problem from every necessary angle and there will be no need to "round them all up" or "deport them all at once".

Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Some of this is coming through to stiff and one sided. In the early days of microprocessors some of the litho equipment that made the best stuff was not US. And those people deserved the same rights as the US originators. So there is lots of negotiations.

But the uninvolved should not jump in at the end. And use high talent with low wages to succeed. Wrong approach.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And the American sense of fair play's response would be:

"American freedom was fought for and won by Americans, for Americans.......you want freedom too? Great! .....get your own freedom and quit suckling on America's teet".
Man I had no idea that the D-day invasion of Normandy and the Battle of Lexington could be linked to people hiring illegals to do home construction, but you did it, man!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies