Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 PM

18,473 posts, read 7,122,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What did you do once you found out?

[or did you just shrug?]
I don't blame the workers themselves really.

I don't hire them, so working with them is a necessary evil. Simply not my call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,312,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The poster I was replying to said that if we got rid of the illegals already here the jobs would be outsourced. If that were the case it would be unlikely that more illegals would be shipped in. Legal immigrants perhaps but at least they wouldn't be a financial burden like illegal aliens are.
They would still be a burden because they still avow themselves of basic social services. The only difference is that have a little card that says they can be here because some bureaucrat stamped their seal of approval on a care. Big whoop.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,805,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
Yep, which is why the Republican Koch brothers are thinking about supporting Hillary for President.

I love real life Game of Thrones ^_^
No kidding!

I usually don't take an active part in this debate, because it seldom leads anywhere but endless circling.

But people who bring up "the free market" as if that yardstick should settle the issue haven't thought things through.

We don't have a free market in this country, and most people wouldn't like it if we did.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:31 PM

501 posts, read 363,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
An interesting view. I would think the more interesting question is why the US would allow American developed technology to be used in the world outside the US.

but in this case the issue is should the US allow the importation of labor from a foreign labor pool to lower US salaries. No doubt about it. India turns out some fine engineers. They use US technology and text books and courses to educate a selected set of their population. But should these people enter under conditions of involuntary servitude to compete with US workers?

At the least the rule should be that any imported worker, once in the US, is free to move to a new employer or job. I susepct that would virtually instantly halt the importation of Indian techies. They are valuable only as long as indentured.

And further I would establish a rule than anyone who writes or maintains software off shore takes responsiblity for any loss due to invasion of that software
American developed technology? You act as if private technology developed at Microsoft or Apple is somehow owned and created by an American collective hivemind. I *wish* I had something to do with Microsoft and Apple's success but even though i've been an American for decades, I've contributed nearly nothing to technology in the US. (Oh boy that's depressing! Well I did develop some pretty entertaining fan mods for PC games about 16 years ago)

"US technology and text books" are actually all created by private Americans who sell their books and technology to Americans and foreigners worldwide. For profit. It's only fair that if an Indian buys a textbook and learns from it, that he should be able to then sell his newfound skills in the US marketplace as well. For profit.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
But that's not true. The employers care about red AND green and this is demonstrated by their voting and reading behavior, AND their behavior as an employer.

These Republican employers are enriching themselves by hiring illegals, and then they use that money to buy right-wing books, watch right-wing news channels, go to right-wing churches, and presumably lobby right-wing political campaigns. Their friends are right-wing too.

I'd also point out that most low income Americans who are hurt by illegal immigrants are Democrats. So we're in a weird situation where lower-income Republicans are fighting on behalf of low-income Democrats, while high-income Republicans are fighting on behalf of low-income illegal immigrants.
Do you have a point beyond wanting to bash Republicans?

Old 05-21-2016, 08:32 PM

29,866 posts, read 24,997,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

We don't have a free market in this country, and most people wouldn't like it if we did.
My point exactly. But, we don't like much of anything anymore.

I blame the politicians for corrupting our nation, people, national sovereignty and our very way of live. And some of the corporations for seeking the maximum profit for the service of looting America. Together, they have warped and distorted the free market in this country to a point in which the whole mess is no longer sustainable.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,805,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And that's reason #1 why I'm not a Libertarian.

Free markets within American borders don't need foreign labor, legal or illegal driving down the wages. That may fit in with the Libertarian world view, but it certainly doesn't fit in with the American sense of fair play.
I agree. But there is no such thing as a free market within a nation's borders when that nation trades all over the world. There can't be.

Quote:
This, along with the Libertarian's weak foreign policy is why they will never be taken seriously by the American public and will wallow in "also ran" obscurity until they leave these parts of their platform behind.
Libertarians are all over the place on this, even Milton Friedman, because this is where the idealistic philosophy runs smack into actual reality.

I'm a civil libertarian, not an economic one.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:36 PM

501 posts, read 363,056 times
Quote:
Do you have a point beyond wanting to bash Republicans?
Well I suppose it is that Dark Lord Trump is willing to sacrifice various scapegoats for his Blood Sacrifice ritual, but he's very obviously choosing some foreign scapegoats and not the domestic scapegoats. The dude is Machiavelli in the flesh.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I assume the Libertarian response will be: Freedom doesn't fit in with the American sense of fair play? Eh?
And the American sense of fair play's response would be:

"American freedom was fought for and won by Americans, for Americans.......you want freedom too? Great! .....get your own freedom and quit suckling on America's teet".

Old 05-21-2016, 08:42 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,805,691 times
We have robots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies