Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 06:06 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If Trump becomes president, and he deports all the illegals, who is going to do the jobs they were doing? Americans don't really like farming, and bust your ass type jobs. We would have to find a way to pay Americans +$20/hr to butcher chickens, pick strawberries, assemble widgets, and perform other tedious, boring, repetitive in nature jobs. Or, just continue sending all our jobs to slave wage nations, and teaching Americans that welfare is an acceptable alternative to work.

How would that all work out? It's much easier to collect welfare than it is to devote your life to menial labor. And we are fast becoming a welfare nation. Some would say we are there already. And I don't think many Americans are going to like paying more for just about everything we buy.

I would rather see the illegals booted out, and companies forced to pay livable wages once more. But, I don't think everyone would be so happy about the outcome.

Americans will get their construction, landscaping and many other blue-collared jobs back, that's what. Who do you think were doing those jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap, illegal workers flooded our border? There is no need for most Americans to pick crops for a living as it is seasonal work and
many Americans don't live in rural areas. It is not a career job. However, only 2% of illegals are picking crops anyway and for those jobs there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers.

Prices would not increase much as the greedy employers just pocket the profits from their cheap, illegal workers. Besides, with exit of illegals out of our country we would no longer have pay for their social costs which is $113 billion a year. So it would be a win-win for Americans. Where's the bad outcome of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
If by some miracle he did do this, most jobs would be pushed overseas and Trump will likely do nothing to stop that. Ideally, we'd work to find a way to keep American jobs in America. Ideally, those jobs that illegal immigrant held would now be available and they'd have to pay more in order for people to want to take them.

Construction, landscaping, restaurant work, etc. can't be outsourced.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:15 PM

29,834 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Americans will get their construction, landscaping and many other blue-collared jobs back, that's what. Who do you think were doing those jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap, illegal workers flooded our border? There is no need for most Americans to pick crops for a living as it is seasonal work and
many Americans don't live in rural areas. It is not a career job. However, only 2% of illegals are picking crops anyway and for those jobs there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers.

Prices would not increase much as the greedy employers just pocket the profits from their cheap, illegal workers. Besides, with exit of illegals out of our country we would no longer have pay for their social costs which is $113 billion a year. So it would be a win-win for Americans. Where's the bad outcome of that?
Every time this country tries to "fix" a problem, we actually make it worse, because we don't evaluate the situation in it's entirety. When I say "we", I mean the idiots that the idiots elected, but you get the point.

The decisions made for this country in the past 15 years have almost certainly made us the laughingstock of the world, and I am concerned. Right now, we are suffering through a low demand economic cycle. On one hand, it would be nice if more jobs were open to Americans and they paid better wages. On the other hand, American consumers will not appreciate a price hike. They might as well decide those price hikes are not acceptable, and they may opt to scale back on consumption. Then, we get to enjoy another recessionary slump.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:22 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
You pointed it out my friend. "They also pay well." I'm sure if McDonalds or Wendy's paid well you would get the same reality. I worked McDonalds as a teen for a whole 2 weeks until I got a job waiting tables at Pizza Hut. I also didn't have parents that paid for most of my non necessities either. I'm not sure I would have done even that if they had done that for me.
Right. I understand that In-n-Out pays EXTREMELY well...

Old 05-21-2016, 06:24 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Our country would become great again if we get rid of all criminals who have invaded our country.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Every time this country tries to "fix" a problem, we actually make it worse, because we don't evaluate the situation in it's entirety. When I say "we", I mean the idiots that the idiots elected, but you get the point.

The decisions made for this country in the past 15 years have almost certainly made us the laughingstock of the world, and I am concerned. Right now, we are suffering through a low demand economic cycle. On one hand, it would be nice if more jobs were open to Americans and they paid better wages. On the other hand, American consumers will not appreciate a price hike. They might as well decide those price hikes are not acceptable, and they may opt to scale back on consumption. Then, we get to enjoy another recessionary slump.

Price hike? Not much if anything. As I said, factor in the $113 billion we are paying in increased taxes for illegal aliens and we'd still be ahead of the game.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
CAUTION: Rant mode ON.

You know, I've been listening to this "jobs Americans won't do" nonsense for years now.

It's absolute drivel....the ultimate straw man argument.

Why? Because illegals aren't just fruit pickers and ditch diggers anymore and they haven't been for the last thirty years or so.

At one time, you could make this argument.....but that time has long since past. Illegals have all but taken over the construction trades in many cities. Go to just about any job site in many cities and take a look at the Carpenters, Roofers, Painters, Masons, Drywall and Concrete crews.

These are jobs that, at one time were the vocations of choice for many Americans who, either did not want to or could not afford to go to college. It was a way to still be paid a fair wage, raise a family and live the American dream. Now.... They are almost all Hispanic workers.

And before you ask...."how do you know they're illegal"? The answer is ....I work with them, I talk to them and I've even had some over for dinner. They are no longer afraid to admit they're illegal, they come right out and tell you exactly why they are here, how they got here etc.

So, can we please finally dispel this myth once and for all? Illegals are taking jobs that could be, should be and used to be done by American workers. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is either grossly misinformed or intentionally being misleading to further an agenda.
Rant mode off
Thanks for setting the record straight. It should also be noted that not all Spanish-speaking workers are in the country illegally. Consequently, even if Trump wins and deports illegal immigrants there will NOT be an emptying out of Hispanics from this country because many are legal citizens, new and old.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:30 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
He won't.

The only thing that gives me hope about who becomes next president, regardless of who that is from any of the choices we had this year, is that we (hopefully) have a balance of power between the branches of Federal government.
How can any rational person argue against deporting illegal persons?

Old 05-21-2016, 06:33 PM

29,834 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Price hike? Not much if anything. As I said, factor in the $113 billion we are paying in increased taxes for illegal aliens and we'd still be ahead of the game.
There is a difference between national debt, and upfront, in your face costs. Kind of like giving an American a credit vs restricting them to purchase only that which they can afford at the moment. I not sure what tax hikes you are talking about specifically, but I often hear that the average American pays less in tax compared to Europeans, and other first world nation dwellers. Personally, I think we get less for our money, but that's another discussion.

Americans don't work cheap, but American consumers are cheap. Something will have to give.

I think deporting the illegals is by far the best option. But, we will have to make some form of sacrifices. The benefits will be long term, but will take time to realize.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
There is a difference between national debt, and upfront, in your face costs. Kind of like giving an American a credit vs restricting them to purchase only that which they can afford at the moment. I not sure what tax hikes you are talking about specifically, but I often hear that the average American pays less in tax compared to Europeans, and other first world nation dwellers. Personally, I think we get less for our money, but that's another discussion.

Americans don't work cheap, but American consumers are cheap. Something will have to give.

I think deporting the illegals is by far the best option. But, we will have to make some form of sacrifices. The benefits will be long term, but will take time to realize.
What does national debt have to do with what a county hospital loses when treating illegals for free?

http://m.chron.com/news/article/Stud...ls-1596889.php

Quote:
AUSTIN — The state of Texas and local hospital districts spent an estimated $677 million to provide health care to illegal immigrants in a year, a new study says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies