Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 12:10 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

If Trump becomes president, and he deports all the illegals, who is going to do the jobs they were doing? Americans don't really like farming, and bust your ass type jobs. We would have to find a way to pay Americans +$20/hr to butcher chickens, pick strawberries, assemble widgets, and perform other tedious, boring, repetitive in nature jobs. Or, just continue sending all our jobs to slave wage nations, and teaching Americans that welfare is an acceptable alternative to work.

How would that all work out? It's much easier to collect welfare than it is to devote your life to menial labor. And we are fast becoming a welfare nation. Some would say we are there already. And I don't think many Americans are going to like paying more for just about everything we buy.

I would rather see the illegals booted out, and companies forced to pay livable wages once more. But, I don't think everyone would be so happy about the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 12:14 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
He won't.

The only thing that gives me hope about who becomes next president, regardless of who that is from any of the choices we had this year, is that we (hopefully) have a balance of power between the branches of Federal government.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:16 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
There used to be a legal temporary worker program. I don't know if it's still in use but maybe someone else here can enlighten us. The workers were brought in from other countries, paid to pick the crops, and sent home. They didn't live here and bring their families with them, and few Americans had to sit on the ground in the heat picking crops. Personally, I can remember Jamaicans picking the crops near where I used to live. Jamaica is a poor country and could use the extra money now.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:19 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
If by some miracle he did do this, most jobs would be pushed overseas and Trump will likely do nothing to stop that. Ideally, we'd work to find a way to keep American jobs in America. Ideally, those jobs that illegal immigrant held would now be available and they'd have to pay more in order for people to want to take them.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:32 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,158 times
He won't, his hotels aren't gonna clean themselves.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:34 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There used to be a legal temporary worker program. I don't know if it's still in use but maybe someone else here can enlighten us. The workers were brought in from other countries, paid to pick the crops, and sent home. They didn't live here and bring their families with them, and few Americans had to sit on the ground in the heat picking crops. Personally, I can remember Jamaicans picking the crops near where I used to live. Jamaica is a poor country and could use the extra money now.
the employers did no longer want to pay for the paperwork- or b e responsible for an immigrant that started with him and then moved to other crops at another farm later in the season- It got more complicated and more $$. so it began

Old 05-21-2016, 12:42 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Trump recognizes the need for legitimate worker visa situations
you won't see him deport LEGAL foreigners here to pick crops.
He wants to deport the do-nothings and criminals and he's the
only one who will make a difference.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:02 PM

18,459 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If Trump becomes president, and he deports all the illegals, who is going to do the jobs they were doing? Americans don't really like farming, and bust your ass type jobs. We would have to find a way to pay Americans +$20/hr to butcher chickens, pick strawberries, assemble widgets, and perform other tedious, boring, repetitive in nature jobs. Or, just continue sending all our jobs to slave wage nations, and teaching Americans that welfare is an acceptable alternative to work.

How would that all work out? It's much easier to collect welfare than it is to devote your life to menial labor. And we are fast becoming a welfare nation. Some would say we are there already. And I don't think many Americans are going to like paying more for just about everything we buy.

I would rather see the illegals booted out, and companies forced to pay livable wages once more. But, I don't think everyone would be so happy about the outcome.
CAUTION: Rant mode ON.

You know, I've been listening to this "jobs Americans won't do" nonsense for years now.

It's absolute drivel....the ultimate straw man argument.

Why? Because illegals aren't just fruit pickers and ditch diggers anymore and they haven't been for the last thirty years or so.

At one time, you could make this argument.....but that time has long since past.

Illegals have all but taken over the construction trades in many cities.
Go to just about any job site in many cities and take a look at the Carpenters, Roofers, Painters, Masons, Drywall and Concrete crews.

These are jobs that, at one time were the vocations of choice for many Americans who, either did not want to or could not afford to go to college. It was a way to still be paid a fair wage, raise a family and live the American dream.

Now.... They are almost all Hispanic workers.

And before you ask...."how do you know they're illegal"?

The answer is ....I work with them, I talk to them and I've even had some over for dinner.
They are no longer afraid to admit they're illegal, they come right out and tell you exactly why they are here, how they got here etc.

So, can we please finally dispel this myth once and for all?

Illegals are taking jobs that could be, should be and used to be done by American workers.

Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is either grossly misinformed or intentionally being misleading to further an agenda.

Rant mode off

Old 05-21-2016, 01:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If Trump becomes president, and he deports all the illegals, who is going to do the jobs they were doing?
Americans. The Law of Supply & Demand will drive the wages up to make the jobs more palatable to Americans.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times
Then all the people with worthless degrees would finally be able to find jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies