Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times

Advertisements

All the Americans on welfare can do those jobs. If they don't want a job, no more welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 09:06 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WTH does xenophobia have to do with objecting to illegal immigration while embracing legal immigration? Sick of the childish, unwarranted insults in here. Grow up!
Illegal aliens and their fans are running scared since Trump WON'T go away and, Hillary's in some real trouble.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WTH does xenophobia have to do with objecting to illegal immigration while embracing legal immigration? Sick of the childish, unwarranted insults in here. Grow up!
Because the same type of Protestant white folks who didn't like the Catholics OR Asians coming over in the 19th and early 20th century are back at it again.

Furthermore, people liked cheaper housing and cheaper food products more so than doing something productive about illegal immigration. Where were the Republicans during the housing boom? I am from Texas, I can tell you there as no serious movement to get the illegals out.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Illegal aliens and their fans are running scared since Trump WON'T go away and, Hillary's in some real trouble.
BAHAHAHAHAHA. You still don't get it. Trump can't deport them as our checks and balance system prevents it. Why would I expect your kind to know any different, y'all thought Obama was a King and a Kitty Cat simultaneously. The notion of our government's checks and balances is foreign to the type of folks with only a GED.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
CAUTION: Rant mode ON.

You know, I've been listening to this "jobs Americans won't do" nonsense for years now.

It's absolute drivel....the ultimate straw man argument.

Why? Because illegals aren't just fruit pickers and ditch diggers anymore and they haven't been for the last thirty years or so.

At one time, you could make this argument.....but that time has long since past.

Illegals have all but taken over the construction trades in many cities.
Go to just about any job site in many cities and take a look at the Carpenters, Roofers, Painters, Masons, Drywall and Concrete crews.

These are jobs that, at one time were the vocations of choice for many Americans who, either did not want to or could not afford to go to college. It was a way to still be paid a fair wage, raise a family and live the American dream.

Now.... They are almost all Hispanic workers.

And before you ask...."how do you know they're illegal"?

The answer is ....I work with them, I talk to them and I've even had some over for dinner.
They are no longer afraid to admit they're illegal, they come right out and tell you exactly why they are here, how they got here etc.

So, can we please finally dispel this myth once and for all?

Illegals are taking jobs that could be, should be and used to be done by American workers.

Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is either grossly misinformed or intentionally being misleading to further an agenda.

Rant mode off
Yup.

I just recently lived in a predominantly Hispanic city. Many were illegals. My former neighbor was an illegal alien. He worked as a waiter at an Italian restaurant. Very nice guy, but still an illegal nonetheless.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:29 PM

23,632 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That still requires more money. Someone will need to physically make sure someone is handed over to be deported.

Again, there is no way we are deporting any significant numbers of illegals without Congress approving a bigger budget to do so.
A bigger budget isn't needed, it's a simple fix - stop all the freebies to illegals. That will free up the yearly cost of $113 billion used for supporting the illegals and use that money for the deportation budget.

When an illegal is caught they are supposed to be given a paper to sign - the paper giving them the option to either self-deport, or, to stay and have a hearing about why they should be allowed to remain in the US (with them shelling out the money to hire their own lawyer).

If the freebies are cut off and if e-verify is used, nationwide, then they will more than likely choose to self-deport rather than stay here with no job and no freebies.. food, shelter, medical, etc.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
A bigger budget isn't needed, it's a simple fix - stop all the freebies to illegals. That will free up the yearly cost of $113 billion used for supporting the illegals and use that money for the deportation budget.
Illegals don't cost $113 billion yearly, that's absurd.

An actual Conservative think tank, Heritage Foundation, pegs the cost at half of what you describe. Here's their assessment:

Quote:
In terms of public policy and government deficits, an important figure is the aggregate annual deficit for all unlawful immigrant households. This equals the total benefits and services received by all unlawful immigrant households minus the total taxes paid by those households.

Under current law, all unlawful immigrant households together have an aggregate annual deficit of around $54.5 billion.
In the interim phase (roughly the first 13 years after amnesty), the aggregate annual deficit would fall to $43.4 billion.
Quote:
When an illegal is caught they are supposed to be given a paper to sign - the paper giving them the option to either self-deport, or, to stay and have a hearing about why they should be allowed to remain in the US (with them shelling out the money to hire their own lawyer).
So you want local cops to focus more time, money, and personnel on immigration instead of ICE? Or what?

Quote:
If the freebies are cut off and if e-verify is used, nationwide, then they will more than likely choose to self-deport rather than stay here with no job and no freebies.. food, shelter, medical, etc.
And why would businesses who have to compete with even cheaper global labor want to comply with e-verify?

Seems like the Conservative's race the bottom has a bunch of illegal immigration involved over the last 20 years.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:04 PM

23,632 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Illegals don't cost $113 billion yearly, that's absurd.

An actual Conservative think tank, Heritage Foundation, pegs the cost at half of what you describe. Here's their assessment:

Quote:
In terms of public policy and government deficits, an important figure is the aggregate annual deficit for all unlawful immigrant households. This equals the total benefits and services received by all unlawful immigrant households minus the total taxes paid by those households.

Under current law, all unlawful immigrant households together have an aggregate annual deficit of around $54.5 billion.
In the interim phase (roughly the first 13 years after amnesty), the aggregate annual deficit would fall to $43.4 billion.
Why did you not quote the whole thing?

Quote:
  • Under current law, all unlawful immigrant households together have an aggregate annual deficit of around $54.5 billion.
  • In the interim phase (roughly the first 13 years after amnesty), the aggregate annual deficit would fall to $43.4 billion.
  • At the end of the interim phase, former unlawful immigrant households would become fully eligible for means-tested welfare and health care benefits under the Affordable Care Act. The aggregate annual deficit would soar to around $106 billion.
  • In the retirement phase, the annual aggregate deficit would be around $160 billion. It would slowly decline as former unlawful immigrants gradually expire.
^ That is from 2010.
Ah, per the bolded parts, it's easy to see why you didn't quote the whole thing.

Slightly newer figures, from 2013..

Quote:
The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013)

Executive Summary

This report estimates the annual costs of illegal immigration at the federal, state and local level to be about $113 billion; nearly $29 billion at the federal level and $84 billion at the state and local level. The study also estimates tax collections from illegal alien workers, both those in the above-ground economy and those in the underground economy. Those receipts do not come close to the level of expenditures and, in any case, are misleading as an offset because over time unemployed and underemployed U.S. workers would replace illegal alien workers.
The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013)

Old 06-03-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Why did you not quote the whole thing?

^ That is from 2010.
Ah, per the bolded parts, it's easy to see why you didn't quote the whole thing.
Because the $106 billion would be their figure 13 years after we would hypothetically have granted amnesty to every illegal and provided them with today's entitlements. Possible sure, but any meaningful reform to one or more of medicaid, medicare, or SSN would end up having a large cost savings over 13 years and beyond.

My $54.5 I quoted was based on current laws during the time of the study. Here in 2016, Obama's plan to amnesty 5 million, not every illegal, is still tied up in courts.

I am talking about actually costs, not hypothetical costs 13 years after hypothetical legislation.

I'll pass on that source. At least Heritage has to stand up to scrutiny, the "Federation For American Immigration Reform" answers to who exactly?

Last edited by dv1033; 06-03-2016 at 01:01 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 12:27 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
For those who do not have enough of respect for the Country who has taken them in illegally, and make demands, and are some of the most disrespectful people. They can go back where they came from, and a lot of people surely will not miss them, sorry to say, but true.

If they are here illegally, they have no rights, to gripe and *****, and complain, about a candidate who refuses to let them take over, what makes them feel they are superior beings.

And I have many Hispanic friends believe me, born in the Country, some came here legally, waited their turn in line, legally, and also want them gone, because they are not ignorant people. And they do not want this Country to become a hell hole like a lot of Mexico is, not all of it, but a lot. One of them is Latino's for Trump, I have no idea though what that is, was telling me about it, but I was not paying attention. He said it is a movement, I guess but do not really know, OMG they each have there own mind.

We cannot even take care of our Homeless, yet we can bend over backwards for people who do not believe in the law of the land. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies