Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 02:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I don't deny that. What % of the entire retail market do they make up?

Decent people who only want a better life, those illegals?

Don't insult my intelligence by acting like your "decent" "legal" immigrants who came here in droves weren't stigmatized for taking jobs. The "natives" weren't too happy about the Irish or Italians or any group really. Folks like you would still be complaining regardless.
I DON'T care about people "wanting a better life" if they come to the US illegally, their kind just need to go back home. Period.

Too; under US law back in the day, almost all the Irish and Italians came here LEGALLY. I'm of Irish family and; I'm quite sure some of my cousins were ruffians who even wound up in jail or dead for doing stupid things. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 02:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
That wasn't the prevailing wisdom at the time.

Hey, whatever you tell yourself to justify your xenophobia. Do your kids want to be produce pickers, construction workers, truck drivers, etc?

In the real world there are a lot of jobs that need workers, but not enough workers who can pass a drug test and be credit worthy enough. Not to mention the skills gap. After the 2008 economic crash, a lot of people simply aren't employable in their current state.
What's wrong with any kind of honest blue collar trade? Many of them use to pay WELL till illegal aliens were allowed in.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:59 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
This is my opinion. Deporting illegals might free up some tax dollars. However, I know this. Alot of business owners enjoy maximum profit for minimum input. Business owners hire illegals for benefit of their profits. The worker isn't cared about. Workers are sense as disposable. The more disposable you are, the worse someone can treat you and get away with it, the less someone can pay you and get away with it. Illegals know this and don't care. Why? Beats what they would have gotten back home.

Should illegals be deported? Yes. Do I think it will make a difference in jobs? Maybe, but not all that much.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:33 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is my opinion. Deporting illegals might free up some tax dollars. However, I know this. Alot of business owners enjoy maximum profit for minimum input. Business owners hire illegals for benefit of their profits. The worker isn't cared about. Workers are sense as disposable. The more disposable you are, the worse someone can treat you and get away with it, the less someone can pay you and get away with it. Illegals know this and don't care. Why? Beats what they would have gotten back home.

Should illegals be deported? Yes. Do I think it will make a difference in jobs? Maybe, but not all that much.

Over night? No it probably won't.

In the long run it could make a very big difference...... but a culture shift would have to take place on a large scale to reverse the stigma the Left has created about not going to college and working with your hands.

When young Americans realize that there are only so many STEM jobs to go around, then you'd see the desired effect.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:56 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

I fail to understand how you can say that deporting illegals won't make much of an impact on the job situation in this country. Millions of them are working in this country how could that not make a difference in job opportunities for Americans? That makes no sense at all to me. Unless you are one of those making the false claim that illegals are only doing jobs that Americans won't do.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:42 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Pffft....how exactly are illegal immigrants "our nose"? LOL

Let me guess.....you're going to spout the "jobs Americans won't do" nonsense.......save it.
Americans can't even do the specialized blue collar jobs right now.

U.S. Manufacturers Say Skills Gap Could Compromise Competitiveness | US News

http://www.manufacturing.net/blog/2014/06/why-manufacturing-skills-gap-serious

Quote:
The wallet analogy is perfectly sound, if I take your money to help "make a better life" for myself, it is no different than taking your job, or your social security number.
Take your money? You realize how undocumented workers makes many things cheaper, important things like agriculture and construction. It's not a good analogy using a wallet.

Quote:
It is not America's job to be the world's orphanage.
So was it wrong 100 years ago or simply being a legal citizen that makes it okay to be a world orphanage?

Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I DON'T care about people "wanting a better life" if they come to the US illegally, their kind just need to go back home. Period.

Too; under US law back in the day, almost all the Irish and Italians came here LEGALLY. I'm of Irish family and; I'm quite sure some of my cousins were ruffians who even wound up in jail or dead for doing stupid things. It is what it is.
Well we invited both legal and illegals into this country and here we are. Even if Trump wins he doesn't have the authority to deport all the illegal immigrants so it's a moot point. Legalize them and get them paying taxes and watch wages rise a bit as the cheap labor is no longer as cheap.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
No need to deport all the illegals. If Congress links an E-Verify requirement for employer tax expensing of wages, many illegal aliens who can't get jobs will depart on their own.

Is there a law that prevents hiring a foreign business, to do the work sub-contract, not as an employee?

Because there isn't here, and that is exactly how they get classified when working construction.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Well we invited both legal and illegals into this country and here we are. Even if Trump wins he doesn't have the authority to deport all the illegal immigrants so it's a moot point. Legalize them and get them paying taxes and watch wages rise a bit as the cheap labor is no longer as cheap.

Who is "we"?

I sure didn't!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
Quote:
That's adorable! He's going to do that when China can't even keep their manufacturing and they have a stronger central government.

Did you know China has less manufacturing jobs than 10 years ago?
And yet so many things that we buy are made in China and other countries, and not made here.

Your argument fails.

Quote:
They would have come over by any means to escape their respective instability. If Europe was across the border and not the ocean then we would have had a whole bunch of illegal immigrants in the 19th and 20tb century.
Would have, would have, would have.

That is sheer speculation.

Again, your argument fails.

Quote:
They just want a better life. That deserves hostility?
They are here illegally.

We already admit 1 million legal immigrants a year.

That is more than enough.

In fact, it is too many because we don't have enough jobs for our own citizens.

But you apparently don't care about our own citizens and them having a better life, do you?

Quote:
Nah son. Creating labor shortages isn't a smart way to increase wages.
Again, you fail basic economics. A shortage of anything makes the price go up.

Quote:
You think there's a bunch of natives waiting in the wings to pick produce? And essentially do a lot of the behind the scenes work?
They'll be waiting and ready to work when we cut them off welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies