Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 05:49 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Americans. The Law of Supply & Demand will drive the wages up to make the jobs more palatable to Americans.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 06:01 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
But yet we are continuing to spend like we aren't, and hate to point the finger but all of this is the result of the Baby Boom generations letting things develop like this.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the Baby Boomers. By definition, they were born after WW II. That means the oldest of them are now 71 (the number of years from 1945 to 2016), while the youngest are only 48.

If you look at Congress, the movers and shakers are older than 71 right now -- people like McCain, Reid, Feinstein, etc.

And they've been in Congress for the last thirty years at least.

The middle range Baby Boomer -- at age 59 -- is just starting to get real power.

If you want to know who created this mess in our country, it is people who were born as early as 1900.

They gave us the Korean War, the Vietnam War, stagflation in the late 1970s, the dotcom collapse, the housing crisis, job-offshoring, crony capitalism, vulture capitalism, open borders, our huge national debt, the welfare state with its permanent underclass, our decline in educational standards, our failure to invest in our infrastructure, a dollar disconnected from the gold standard, etc.

Last edited by dechatelet; 05-28-2016 at 06:10 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 06:41 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
There are certainly people who would shoot folks for simply crossing the border.

But kinda like how running a government isn't like running a household. Illegal immigration isn't simply like a thief breaking into your house.

But hey, some folks can only understand simplicity.

Yes it is, because it really is just that simple.

The only folks who want to make it complicated are the ones who are complicit with it.

You say Americans aren't smart enough when apparently you yourself have a difficult time wrapping your head around the simplicity of the word illegal .

Old 05-28-2016, 06:43 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the Baby Boomers. By definition, they were born after WW II. That means the oldest of them are now 71 (the number of years from 1945 to 2016), while the youngest are only 48.

If you look at Congress, the movers and shakers are older than 71 right now -- people like McCain, Reid, Feinstein, etc.

And they've been in Congress for the last thirty years at least.

The middle range Baby Boomer -- at age 59 -- is just starting to get real power.

If you want to know who created this mess in our country, it is people who were born as early as 1900.

They gave us the Korean War, the Vietnam War, stagflation in the late 1970s, the dotcom collapse, the housing crisis, job-offshoring, crony capitalism, vulture capitalism, open borders, our huge national debt, the welfare state with its permanent underclass, our decline in educational standards, our failure to invest in our infrastructure, a dollar disconnected from the gold standard, etc.
A good and fair analysis. Agreed their era was significant as well.

Overtime the power truly has gone away from the people. Now we're all just ponds being run by special interests.

There's no real checks and balances on government. People aren't being held accountable. Politics is a game that is accepted to be played. Dishonesty is embraced and expected.

It's all pretty pathetic and sad.

We could all work to change things now by simply turning off the Mass Media outlets and start to support independent media.

Independent media are the prying eyes that work to expose the corruption in politics. These people need to be carefully watched.

After all they are PUBLIC SERVICE employees. Which is a joke as they are making more than the Private Sector that supports them.

Will the American public wise up and turn off their TVs? NO. We want to be told what to think.

It's all so sad you have to laugh to not enter into a deep depression.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:51 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
A good and fair analysis. Agreed their era was significant as well.

Overtime the power truly has gone away from the people. Now we're all just ponds being run by special interests.

There's no real checks and balances on government. People aren't being held accountable. Politics is a game that is accepted to be played. Dishonesty is embraced and expected.

It's all pretty pathetic and sad.

We could all work to change things now by simply turning off the Mass Media outlets and start to support independent media.

Independent media are the prying eyes that work to expose the corruption in politics. These people need to be carefully watched.

After all they are PUBLIC SERVICE employees. Which is a joke as they are making more than the Private Sector that supports them.

Will the American public wise up and turn off their TVs? NO. We want to be told what to think.

It's all so sad you have to laugh to not enter into a deep depression.
Yes, it is depressing.

But it's a good thing to try to figure out and expose what's going on.

Then at least you've done your part.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:40 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
But I was talking about legal H1B visa holders, not illegals. Trump wants to reduce legal immigration as well as illegal immigration.

H1B visa holders seem to be competing for jobs perfectly fairly with Americans, so I see no reason for Trump to cut down on H1Bs. Heck, in most cases, H1B visa holders probably come from low-income countries where getting a computer science or medical degree is a VERY impressive feat. Meanwhile, Americans with those same skillsets probably have a much easier time of achieving the same educational backgrounds

Trump's complaint about H1Bs is that the foreign workers offer US corporations a lower labor price. But so what? That's capitalism. If I go into a store, price matters to me. I will balance quality vs price to purchase something. I don't want some orange skinned man coming into the store and forcing me to buy a higher priced product.
American citizens should come first. This is the U S A. Employing an H1b visa holder is preventing a citizen from working, a citizen who has been paying taxes and whose patents probably have. The H1b visa should only be for exceptional workers, not some ordinary programmer. The H1b also petitions for family to emigrate so we have chain migration. I come from the position that we have too many people in this country already so why import more?

Old 05-28-2016, 11:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I got it all.

I just don't like policies that cut off my nose to spit my face. I get it that it's easier to simply blame poor folks and illegal immigrants, but the world isn't a simple place.

But it's still a moot point. Trump will need Congress for the money needed to "enforce" the laws and Congress is not going to approve the money necessary to deport millions of illegal immigrants who don't voluntarily leave.

Legalize the illegals and shift the immigration attention towards the legal immigrants who are actually taking the well paying jobs. I do share the sentiment that too much immigration is an issue. However, if you complaining about jobs, then that's simply a "personal responsibility" type of thing that Americans as a whole have been lacking. Too many Americans aren't skilled enough and I am talking about YOUR preferred type of Americans.

Cost.... They will say cost.... Not realizing what they have cost us already and will continue to cost us.

If they go hard after those employing them there will be No cost. Seizure of all illegally made personal and business assets will fund it and more and they will all but a few, self deport. They will leave on their own. And those that don't, a slow boat to South Mexico Central America, would send a message, to them that they will not just cross back over in the morning.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:44 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Let's say you offered a huge amnesty to all illegals here. How many would comply and actually apply for said amnesty? They would have to pay taxes and be tracked while in the country.

If this was offered would you folks against deportation be OK with deporting the illegals who do not take the amnesty?

Old 05-28-2016, 05:41 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I fail to understand how you can say that deporting illegals won't make much of an impact on the job situation in this country. Millions of them are working in this country how could that not make a difference in job opportunities for Americans? That makes no sense at all to me. Unless you are one of those making the false claim that illegals are only doing jobs that Americans won't do.
This is the way I see it. We're having things like automation take place. While some jobs can't be exported out of the country, there are some that can. Nike doesn't make any shoes in this country. Nike doesn't even own any plants. They contract the production to factory owners overseas. It might open up more jobs, but not as many jobs as some think.

This is how I understand business. People think with their dollars. Businesses often hire illegals because it's cheap. Deport the illegals, I see two scenarios. There will be those who will hire whoever they can get because they can't hire illegals. And then there will be those who go out of business.

This is what saw where I live. Agriculture is where alot of illegals are represented. After illegals were ran off from, this left a void. Farm owners turned to prison labor. You don't have to pay prison labor much at all.

Manufacturing, well, you can send manufacturing jobs overseas. This is already being done.

The service industry, well, this is just my theory. I suspect alot of illegals work in restaurants. If illegals were deported and businesses punished accordingly, something tells me many restaurants would close down. Whether or not a restaurant opens in its place depends on supply and demand.

I never said it wouldn't open up jobs. I'm saying it won't solve the entire issue. Some business owners are cheap and will look for other means to reduce overhead via less employees. I've heard one person mention he would rather hire an illegal over a Black person because "Blacks are too much trouble". That is another factor to consider.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:57 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the way I see it. We're having things like automation take place. While some jobs can't be exported out of the country, there are some that can. Nike doesn't make any shoes in this country. Nike doesn't even own any plants. They contract the production to factory owners overseas. It might open up more jobs, but not as many jobs as some think.

This is how I understand business. People think with their dollars. Businesses often hire illegals because it's cheap. Deport the illegals, I see two scenarios. There will be those who will hire whoever they can get because they can't hire illegals. And then there will be those who go out of business.

This is what saw where I live. Agriculture is where alot of illegals are represented. After illegals were ran off from, this left a void. Farm owners turned to prison labor. You don't have to pay prison labor much at all.

Manufacturing, well, you can send manufacturing jobs overseas. This is already being done.

The service industry, well, this is just my theory. I suspect alot of illegals work in restaurants. If illegals were deported and businesses punished accordingly, something tells me many restaurants would close down. Whether or not a restaurant opens in its place depends on supply and demand.

I never said it wouldn't open up jobs. I'm saying it won't solve the entire issue. Some business owners are cheap and will look for other means to reduce overhead via less employees. I've heard one person mention he would rather hire an illegal over a Black person because "Blacks are too much trouble". That is another factor to consider.

There are many blue-collared jobs that can't be exported such as construction, landscaping, hotel and restaurant work. These are the jobs that most illegals are doing. As for agricultural jobs there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign workers and only 2% of illegals are working those jobs anyway. The growers who had a shortage of labor after illegals were ran off have only themselves to blame for not using those visas in the first place.

Why would businesses close down without illegal labor? They want to make a profit whether it's small or large. That would be cutting off their noses to spite their faces. They would have to pay an American a fair wage again. Oh the horror! Just because one person says that blacks are too much trouble doesn't make it so for the majority.

A couple of other things. These illegals are costing us $113 billion a year in taxes and they send a lot of their earnings back to their homelands which isn't spent in our economy. Americans don't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies