Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Without adequate public transportation (usually not available in the suburbs), most/many recipients of Section 8 benefits would not necessarily want to live there, it seems to me. I could be wrong but I don't think most don't own cars.

Mick
Good point. But I bet they enjoy being out of bad inner city areas and sending their kids to poor performing schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 05:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,288,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Without adequate public transportation (usually not available in the suburbs), most/many recipients of Section 8 benefits would not necessarily want to live there, it seems to me. I could be wrong but I don't think most don't own cars.

Mick
In this day and age, just about every American has to own a car, even people living in Section 8 housing, because transportation is typically poorly run in most cities, and most jobs are in the suburbs.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
In this day and age, just about every American has to own a car, even people living in Section 8 housing, because transportation is typically poorly run in most cities, and most jobs are in the suburbs.
This is true. Jobs have become de-centralized.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 PM

324 posts, read 271,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sounds like your cousin lived in public housing. Public housing and Section 8/HCV is not the same thing.

There are multi-year wait lists for Section 8. It is a program where the resident can choose where they want to live, either an apartment or a single family home.

Public housing is "apartments" that residents are assigned to.

And FWIW a majority of both public housing and Section 8 residents are nice, decent people who don't trash places. Working in the industry taught me a lot about not judging people based on their income. You just don't hear about the good residents, only the bad ones. I'd say 90% of both public housing and HCV residents are good, decent people who don't trash places and for public housing, they are just down on their luck. Many public housing residents would be homeless if it were not for public housing.

ETA: I base my commen on your cousin living in public housing on the bold. They do not commonly have "housekeeping" inspections for HCV/Section 8. They do for public housing and you have to fail multiple times for them to kick you out.
Nope.... BOTH were private landlords. The second was a corporate entity that specialized in low cost housing but mainly for seniors but because of tax breaks a certain number were set aside for voucher programs. They had rules about cleaning to keep the Seniors happy and critters out of the complex that was set up as townhouses....

Which is why I stated that I have no problem for seniors, truly disabled and veterans to be in the voucher program. Able bodied single "adults" can make ends meet.

Now I know there's good and bad in every mix. But I'm tired of busting my butt to let others get a free ride due to their choices in life.

P.S. I would most likely qualify for many programs due to my income but I don't use them..... I have say over my pathetic camper, it's mine. I rent a space that I filled with flowers and vegetables in containers. I trim my grass when it's overgrown even though they mow here..... but if you just knew I lived in an older camper you'd judge me. If you saw my lot first.... well.....

But there's the MAIN point. I PAY for my space, it's not free so I have a vested interest in keeping my area nice. I pick up poop from other people's dogs.....

Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I worked for many years for housing authorities as a consultant and as an employee.

FYI, Housing Choice Voucher residents (HCV is now what they call Section 8) has been in suburban communities for 20+ years now. It is not a new thing that Obama started.

On the OP, it improves outcomes by de-concentrating poverty and crime. There have been studies done over the decades that have shown that those children especially who are HCV residents benefit from a better education and better social outcomes by not growing up in poverty stricken, urban communities.

De-concentrating poverty in this way has also caused crime to decrease in practically every major urban area since the mid to late 1990s.

It does work.

1. No, it doesn't work.

2. Yes, Section 8 vouchers have been acceptable in any venue for decades, with a lot of mischief going on as recipients recieve vouchers, are directed to cheaper locales (ahem....ask the people of Altoona, PA), then pocket the difference. What Obama is doing is far worse. His animus towards, and war on, the suburbs is well-documented in his own writings.

3. Inner city problems follow families and students wherever they go, depreciating values of surrounding properties. And educational standards and outcomes are lowered as school districts focus on the lowest common denominator, and families do not encourage educational achievement. All of which adds an additional burden on the district, whose taxpayers are now footing the bill for the onslaught.

4. Residents will "flee," just as they did in the 60s, and the process will be repeated.

5. As usual, the left don't solve the problems they created in every inner city. They simply think we need more of the same, failed policies--now, to burden everyone.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Nope.... BOTH were private landlords. The second was a corporate entity that specialized in low cost housing but mainly for seniors but because of tax breaks a certain number were set aside for voucher programs. They had rules about cleaning to keep the Seniors happy and critters out of the complex that was set up as townhouses....

Which is why I stated that I have no problem for seniors, truly disabled and veterans to be in the voucher program. Able bodied single "adults" can make ends meet.

Now I know there's good and bad in every mix. But I'm tired of busting my butt to let others get a free ride due to their choices in life.

P.S. I would most likely qualify for many programs due to my income but I don't use them..... I have say over my pathetic camper, it's mine. I rent a space that I filled with flowers and vegetables in containers. I trim my grass when it's overgrown even though they mow here..... but if you just knew I lived in an older camper you'd judge me. If you saw my lot first.... well.....

But there's the MAIN point. I PAY for my space, it's not free so I have a vested interest in keeping my area nice. I pick up poop from other people's dogs.....
LOL. It's tough out there y'all.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
1. No, it doesn't work.
Based on what?

Quote:
2. Yes, Section 8 vouchers have been acceptable in any venue for decades, with a lot of mischief going on as recipients recieve vouchers, are directed to cheaper locales (ahem....ask the people of Altoona, PA), then pocket the difference. What Obama is doing is far worse. His animus towards, and war on, the suburbs is well-documented in his own writings.
It's always worse when the black president does something eh?

Quote:
3. Inner city problems follow families and students wherever they go, depreciating values of surrounding properties. And educational standards and outcomes are lowered as school districts focus on the lowest common denominator, and families do not encourage educational achievement. All of which adds an additional burden on the district, whose taxpayers are now footing the bill for the onslaught.
Quantify this onslaught for me.

Quote:
4. Residents will "flee," just as they did in the 60s, and the process will be repeated.
Well actually, the desegregation of the school systems prompted the largest "white flight" followed by the Reagan years war on drugs and mandatory sentences.

Quote:
5. As usual, the left don't solve the problems they created in every inner city. They simply think we need more of the same, failed policies--now, to burden everyone.
Burden everyone? You ain't that special sweetheart and you don't speak for EVERYONE. Now try again.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:59 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
You are aware there is a difference between public housing and Section 8, right? Also, you do understand the concept of concentration and decentralization, right? Section 8 and public housing don't create crime, concentrating poor into one specific area tends to help create more crime. Also, Section 8 isn't easy to get into and very easy to get oneself kicked out of it, therefore if someone who lives an apartment or house that is Section 8 is committing a crime, it is best to report them so that they can be arrested for committing a crime, and removed from housing that is for law abiding Section 8 tenants.

Your dog poop analogy doesn't work at all when it comes to housing.....well except for the fact that it makes you look like you think that anyone who is poor and living in Section 8 housing must be the same as dog poop.
I don't care if the crime is sky high so long as it stays with the freeloaders. The goal should be to keep the crime as centralized as possible - not decentralize it. There is no reason to spread it around to people who have worked hard for their homes.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:10 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Memphis tried this experiment first, and it was a disaster. They knocked down the projects and moved the people to middle class areas of the city. Crime spread out across the city. Memphis became number 1 for murder in the country. Nice, middle class working areas started having gunfire at night. Schools where middle class children could get a good education became filled with gangs. The people who were hurt the worst were middle class black families who were living in nice, well kept middle class areas that were turned into ghettos by the new residents.
A liberal professor from the U of M did a study on the areas where the people with vouchers moved and discovered that those areas had huge spikes in crime and declining school performance. He was shocked with his findings and wrote a great article.
But what surprised him the most was the people that were moved out of the projects weren't happy either. They felt isolated and like they lacked community in their new neighborhoods. Most of them wished they had never moved.

This doesn't solve problems, it just creates more.

Here's the article. It's long but worth the read. Too bad leaders refuse to learn from examples of failed policy. Obama wants to take this failed policy and spread it nationwide:
http://www.theatlantic.com/projects/...mystery/57096/

Old 06-02-2016, 09:15 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
The worse the life is for the peasants, the more powerful the Oligarchs get. So yes, the utter contempt that the Oligarchs have for the awful people who "escaped" from their Stormtroopers.....this is payback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies