Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 02:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think the well intentioned folks who want to use their neighbors money to help out the poor, should open up their own homes to them.
They are opening their homes to them, it's just that they own multiple homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 03:27 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
LMAO, I can't believe you had the audacity to actually post this based on what you have been saying about these children and their parents. Parents that by your own admission you have never even met.

BTW, just in case you forgot - this is what you said about the parents that you don't know and have never met.

"I am sure speaking to the parent (if one could be found) would do no good as obviously they are learning this behavior from somewhere..."
Sad. Both this post and your previous post harp on what LN is THINKING, or SAYING to OTHERS WHO OBJECT TO THE BEHAVIOR, NOT THE KIDS or THEIR PARENTS. LN has put forth what she has DONE/what her ACTIONS have been. The 'Section 8 kids' DON'T KNOW what she is THINKING, or SAYING TO PARENTS WHO ALSO OBJECT, so that is irrelevant. Even if you think LN is being hypocritical, the kids don't have the same information you do (LN's thoughts and feelings from her post), so the purported hypocrisy has nothing to do with the actions coming from the kids...they can't crawl inside her head and know what she is thinking or what she has said to others she knows who object to the behaviors. In her last post, LN describes things that she and her husband have done that most normal people would consider neighborly. In her post before that she describes her strong reaction to an ASSAULT...ROCKS being THROWN at HER KIDS that CAUSED PHYSICAL HARM, and a racial epithet being uttered. She vehemently expressed that they don't tolerate that behavior or language. In what normal universe are neighborliness or expressing boundaries of unacceptable behavior disrespectful to the 'Section 8 kids'? Answer.....those actions AREN'T DISRESPECTFUL. Kids should respect their elders..unless the elder has done or is trying to do something that compromises the kid's safety...which LN obviously has NOT done. Minus the above caveat, kids should respect their elders....period. If they don't, then they aren't being raised properly.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
You obviously have a chip on your shoulder
I reread his post after replying to his post, and that ^^^^^ was my next impression.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
This is your previous comment:

How dare make accusations about my parenting when you have no idea how I parent or what I teach my children.

Isn't that exactly what you are doing?
This might be relevant re hypocrisy, but it has NOTHING to do with your audacious statement that 'she hasn't done anything to earn respect from these kids'. She hasn't done/said/thought anything that those kids could possibly know about that would give them reason to disrespect her. They should respect her wishes re any interaction between them and HER KIDS, unless she is trying to compromise their safety....which she obviously isn't.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,143,595 times
I'm unsure whether or not the following article has been posted yet, however, it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the topic title: American Murder Mystery - The Atlantic

In part:
Quote:
The city gave former residents federal “Section8†rent-subsidy vouchers and encouraged them to move out to new neighborhoods. Two more waves of demolition followed over the next nine years, dispersing tens of thousands of poor people into the wider metro community.

If police departments are usually stingy with their information, housing departments are even more so. Getting addresses of Section 8 holders is difficult, because the departments want to protect the residents’ privacy. Betts, however, helps the city track where the former residents of public housing have moved. Over time, she and Janikowski realized that they were doing their fieldwork in the same neighborhoods.

About six months ago, they decided to put a hunch to the test. Janikowski merged his computer map of crime patterns with Betts’s map of Section8 rentals. Where Janikowski saw a bunny rabbit, Betts saw a sideways horseshoe (“He has a better imagination,†she said). Otherwise, the match was near-perfect. On the merged map, dense violent-crime areas are shaded dark blue, and Section8 addresses are represented by little red dots. All of the dark-blue areas are covered in little red dots, like bursts of gunfire. The rest of the city has almost no dots.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:15 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
If that happens that'd really really be something................
It's a futile endeavor though. The people with the means to move away from the poor will always do so.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Not really...

Isn't it great for everyone to live in such a place?

Give me a break.

Everyone on this board either lives in or around a city with new, modern, or updated public housing "complexes" which, apparently had broken windows, facade graffiti, overturned garbage cans, and litter strewn all over the grounds at their grand openings.

When people choose to foul their own living places, it follows them wherever they go. That is a fact. And so is the crime that they bring with them, too.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
When has a government program ever saved money?

Once these folks are settled in the suburbs which historically are car centric how will they be getting around? Shopping, work, etc. Will they be able to afford student fees in the schools, even things like buying a calculator which urban schools normally provide. And if the social problems normally associated with urban low income areas seem to manifest themselves in these suburban communities then who is really to blame???
They will figure something out.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Back in the day - in the 70's/80's, I had Sec 8 tenants - little old white ladies. Was a great deal - above-market rents, perfect tenants. When they died/moved, I rented to working blacks (no Sec 8), no problem for ten years until boyfriend of my very first black female tenant murdered the tenant's sister in my apartment bldg, kidnapped the tenant, and left the sister's body in the apartment for two days until her brothers broke in and found her. By then, there was decomposition, stench in the building, had to cut out living floor. Couple days after the body was found, bf was caught, my tenant was still alive in the trunk of his car. My son dealt with the homicide detectives. I had a very tough job at the time and didn't need the stress.

Of course, as a result, I lost every good tenant in the property - they all moved far way - and it was all downhill after that - never was able to attract the same caliber of tenant. I sold the building five years later for what I had paid for it seventeen years earlier.

What I learned from that experience is you can leave the 'hood' but the 'hood' follows you. My tenant Phyllis was a perfect tenant. She had a good job with an excellent company, always paid her rent on the dot, had been trying to separate herself from the bf for years, I was told, and this criminal just wouldn't let go.

Just discovered last weekend we've got a Sec 8 black family two blocks away in a hard-to-sell property - in a very old neighborhood where no two houses are alike and where values range between $200-$650k, average about $350. Anything around here sells virtually overnight, house half a block away just sold last week - on the market four days - for $435k - a block away from the Sec 8 family living in a $200k property. All but two houses on that block are valued over $350k. HUD FMR for our area is $1400/mo. for a 3BR., so probably these people are paying about $500, HUD the rest.

We hear from the real estate guy who lives across the street from this house the Sec 8 people have been there about a year. Previous owners had tried to sell for a couple of years - a 100 y/o two-story property badly in need of a updates (esp. kitchen), with a decent side yard, no garage, short driveway off a busy street. Far as we know, it's a man, woman, possibly two kids, one very small car. But, public transportation is right out their back door.

This family is an anomaly for our area, for sure. The neighborhood is strong with high values, 99% owner-occupied, lots of young professionals moving in and spending a lot of money on upgrades on some of the larger older homes.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-03-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 04:52 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The suburbs have always had plenty of crime.
Wrong.

Quote:
you want them (poor people etc) out of the system or something?
If they're able bodied and of working age (18-65), they belong in work houses or labor camps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies