Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 06:04 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Most poor people have poor habits. They have poor planning skills and an inability to understand the consequences of their actions. And Section 8 users are even worse, because they have no pride. This is the reason that they degrade all the neighborhoods that they inhabit. There will be no good to come out of Obama's hare brained plans to push Section 8 into the suburbs.
If you could guess how much section 8 goes to the elderly and disabled, what would that guess be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 06:17 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
You make a lot of assumptions about people you consider to be poor. Also, Section 8 housing has been available in the suburbs for a long time now.
I don't make any assumptions. These are observable facts, which are backed up by actual data. If you have data that shows the contrary of my statements, then show me. I know that you don't.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
Everybody should live in a good place.......
A place is only a good place to live because the people that live there make it so.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,288,269 times
Quote:
I don't make any assumptions. These are observable facts, which are backed up by actual data. If you have data that shows the contrary of my statements, then show me. I know that you don't.
Speaking of data, I would first like to see your actual data before I bother to refute it because right now it just sounds like your opinion

Old 06-04-2016, 06:57 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
A place is only a good place to live because the people that live there make it so.
Yep, my neighbors all look out for each other and stop to visit together while walking their dogs. Homes rarely are put up for sale here and the last one that was listed a few months ago sold within a couple of weeks. Many of us have been here 20+ years.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If he truly gets a subsidy for Section 8 residents, then he is paid that subsidy by your local housing authority. If you and other neighbors make complaints to them, they will do an inspection and investigate him as the landlord. If he fails inspection or is shown to be a negligent landlord, they will remove him from being eligible to receive subsidy for his property. FYI, housing authorities HATE to be contacted period and especially hate it due to bad landlords or tenants. If enough of you call/complain, they will take action. One of the main thing that we hated when I worked in that field was to be "on the news" everyone is afraid of being on the news and bad press. I'd threaten them with that if it is truly a Section 8 tenant and landlord situation.

The housing authority wouldn't take care of the property if it is Section 8 because the landlord owns it and it is their responsibility to take care of the property (public housing is different as the housing authority takes care of it as it is government property). If he/she fails a property inspection (which is not hard to do as they have really silly things that need to be on HCV homes and if not you fail inspection) they are at risk of getting kicked out of the program.

Did you know that in some jurisdictions, if a landlord has a property for rent that s/he can NOT turn away Section 8 tenants? In those cases, I don't see what good the bolded part would do.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
What kind of behavior do you think your kids are learning from you? Based on your posts, your kids are learning to look down their noses at people that have a different socioeconomic status and skin color. Young children will most likely grow out of throwing rocks, your children will most likely turn out to be elitist, racist scumbags their entire lives.

BTW, respect is earned and should be mutual. You have done nothing to earn the respect of these kids and you clearly have zero respect for them. I would say that this is a case of reaping what you sow.
So, you think that throwing rocks at other kids is justified? Seriously?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Speaking of data, I would first like to see your actual data before I bother to refute it because right now it just sounds like your opinion
I don't take you to be a person that actually cares about facts, but I'll post some data just in case you do.

4 habits that keep you from getting rich - Business Insider

Rich Vs Poor - Real Differences - Best Mankind

Old 06-04-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Montgomery County, MD has been said to be the pioneer of this, but it has a growing poverty rate and a growing number of lackluster schools. It's now been superseded by neighboring Howard County.
Exactly! MoCo is one of those jurisdictions where landlords are forced to take Section 8 tenants if one wants to rent their place.

We live in the next state over and had to rent out our house. The property manager asked if we wanted to rent to Section 8 tenants. We said "no" and she had us sign a paper stating this. She also told us that if we lived in MoCo, we wouldn't have had that choice.

As for Howard County---that's where that High School is, Wild Lake, that people don't want their kids going to. It isn't just white people who don't want their kids in Wild Lake---plenty of middle class Black people don't want their kids going there either.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's actually a huge part of it. Urban rents are getting outta control. I have relatives and friends paying a coupla grand in rent in SF, Chicago, NY, and LA. In DC, it's so bad that my brother turned down what would've been a great promotion to move there. But it's either that or spend 3 hours in your car everyday commuting.

And urban rent is only gonna keep going up.
I've got news for you --- Where I live, the suburban rents are out of control, too. The only cheap housing (that's not Section 8) is in older, run down apartment complexes or illegal apartments in an illegally subdivided house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies