Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 10:00 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
Why rent to them, most will just destroy your property. If the Gov wants to house them, let them build camps.
I agree.

All forms of government assistance should be designed so that they are as unpleasant as possible. By that I mean that there should be nothing enjoyable about the assistance so that there is no incentive to stay on assistance. In the case of food, provide only the bare essentials needed to survive. No brand name goods, no luxuries. Plain bread, peanut butter, powdered milk, eggs, government cheese, beans, canned vegetables and that's about it. Even that might be too generous. The worst thing is to give them a card to let them choose what they want.

For housing build cinderblock dorms with community bathrooms and the same furnishings used at prisons. The worst thing we can do if we want people off of assistance is to subsidize them to have a nice place that is similar to one that a working person is busting their butt to pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 11:26 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I agree.

All forms of government assistance should be designed so that they are as unpleasant as possible. By that I mean that there should be nothing enjoyable about the assistance so that there is no incentive to stay on assistance. In the case of food, provide only the bare essentials needed to survive. No brand name goods, no luxuries. Plain bread, peanut butter, powdered milk, eggs, government cheese, beans, canned vegetables and that's about it. Even that might be too generous. The worst thing is to give them a card to let them choose what they want.

For housing build cinderblock dorms with community bathrooms and the same furnishings used at prisons. The worst thing we can do if we want people off of assistance is to subsidize them to have a nice place that is similar to one that a working person is busting their butt to pay for.
I love this idea. The safety net should be just that, safety from DEATH, but nothing more. No apartments, just minimalist dorms. We are protecting you from DEATH, but if you want more, it's ALL ON YOU. You don't get to take it from those who are recognizing reality and acting for their own survival.

For another example: NO DAMNED Visa card for food stamps. They should be big colorful bills that denote you as a food stamp user. We need to bring the shame back to this. Just like the good old days when being on food stamps was anathema and it was a humiliation to use them.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Jeez, you must be incredibly dense to not understand the concept of "You cannot reject applicants just because they are on Section 8"
You seem to think that signing that paperwork means you are saying that is the only criteria that you are considering.
You are allowed to have other criteria (Credit check, references, rental history) to determine eligibility.
Let me repeat: YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO ACCEPT TENANTS JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE ON SECTION 8.
So stop the BS already. If you have to lie to make your point, you don't have much of a point to make.
You engaged in a personal attack which means you have no valid argument.

Tell me, how does one do a credit check on illegal aliens? After all, once they birth an anchor baby, the whole family is eligible for a Section 8 voucher. After all, illegal aliens don't have SSNs. Why are parents of anchor babies even allowed to get Section 8 vouchers if there is no way anyone can do a proper credit check on them?

So, are you familiar with Section 8 laws all over the country?

All I know is that we were give the option to say we didn't want any Section 8 tenants. We were also told by a very experienced property manager that there are jurisdictions that don't give you the option of saying you don't want any Section 8 tenants. So, in other words, by signing a paper that said we don't want any Section 8 tenants, then that means Section 8 tenants won't be looking at our property. So, yes, we did have the opportunity to refuse renting our home to them.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Tell me, how does one do a credit check on illegal aliens? After all, once they birth an anchor baby, the whole family is eligible for a Section 8 voucher. After all, illegal aliens don't have SSNs. Why are parents of anchor babies even allowed to get Section 8 vouchers if there is no way anyone can do a proper credit check on them?

All I know is that we were give the option to say we didn't want any Section 8 tenants. We were also told by a very experienced property manager that there are jurisdictions that don't give you the option of saying you don't want any Section 8 tenants. So, in other words, by signing a paper that said we don't want any Section 8 tenants, then that means Section 8 tenants won't be looking at our property. So, yes, we did have the opportunity to refuse renting our home to them.
If they don't have a SSN for a credit check you can reject them because you can't do the requisite credit check. They don't meet that criteria. Nothing to do with section 8.
End of story.
How hard was that?
You cannot be forced to rent to tenants that don't meet your screening criteria. To say otherwise is absolute bunk.

Last edited by quigboto; 06-08-2016 at 01:32 AM..

Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times
(Also, how do you imagine an illegal alien can apply for section 8 without exposing themselves as illegal and exacerbate their risk of being exposed and subsequently deported?)

Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 AM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Regarding illegals who have anchor babies getting Section 8 vouchers:

ColumbiaCounty97051: How Illegal Alien Mexicans Get Section 8 Housing Vouchers

Old 06-08-2016, 04:49 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Quote:
(Also, how do you imagine an illegal alien can apply for section 8 without exposing themselves as illegal and exacerbate their risk of being exposed and subsequently deported?)
When does that ever happen?

Old 06-08-2016, 07:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:

Quote:
Regarding illegals who have anchor babies getting Section 8 vouchers:

ColumbiaCounty97051: How Illegal Alien Mexicans Get Section 8 Housing Vouchers
On the bold, actually an illegal alien is not allowed to get Section 8. They must be a legal resident and upon acceptance into the program housing authorities do confirm legal residency status. However, they do not have to be an American citizen, just a legal resident.

There are multiple ways of performing a background check on legal residents as there are databases that background check contractors use (all housing authorities I ever worked with outsource background checks BTW) that can check by name itself and other distinguishing characteristics including resident ID/green card numbers and TINs. Many immigrants have a TIN that is used as an SSN. There are hundreds of global databases that can and many times are checked on immigrants. Places I worked with actually have very extensive checks performed on immigrants moreso than American citizens, which I think is warranted.

On your link, it is a blog and opinion piece and does not reference federal, state or local guidelines pertaining to housing. Usually a lay person's interpretation of a regulation is incorrect. The person who is applying for housing must be a legal resident. They cannot be illegal.

I've never worked in Oregon where your link is from, maybe they have some sort of state guidelines that override this, but I highly doubt it as it is a federal rule.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
If they don't have a SSN for a credit check you can reject them because you can't do the requisite credit check. They don't meet that criteria. Nothing to do with section 8.
End of story.
How hard was that?
You cannot be forced to rent to tenants that don't meet your screening criteria. To say otherwise is absolute bunk.
The bold is correct.

Landlords are not required to rent to anyone who does not meet their personal screening criteria inclusive of all sorts of background and rental history verifications, including credit.

And FWIW, housing authorities pre-screen HCV residents for criminal background and rental history specifically. They do not screen for credit, but landlords can and a majority do and if the landlord denies based on a credit issue, then they are within their right to do so.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
It might help the outcome for someone coming from comparatively worse schools. It might remove someone from a bad place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies