Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:26 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,763,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think there is a master urban planning plan to gentrify American cities. Why? there seems to be a demand for dense walk-able neighborhoods of old, that is not too far from cultural attraction, entertainment and other amenities, with easy access to public transit. I think high density, like the European city model, is more efficient and economical, as well as vibrant. The problem is that the poor are sitting in the area of future prime real estate in many cities.

I know in som3 Michigan cities, for at least 2 years now, that in order to receive section 8 that participants must move to a suburban property for a period of time. I do not think that it is just an Obama thing. I think that governments are doing this because they see trends and are trying to create vibrant cities to attract the best and brightest talent for their local companies. This demographic seems to like dense walk-able urban areas not full of poverty and crime. Thus, you have to get ride of the "undesirable population" to make room for the return of the gentry.

Think San Fran, Portland, Seattle. Government is in collusion with its corporations to create the type of environments that allow companies to attract the best and brightest young workers, so they create public policy to create "cool cities" in an attempt to woo this coveted demographic.
They did this in the area where I live and it improved nothing, if anything property values plummeted and they dragged criminals along with them including murderers. The south western(I believe) section of Penn hills(see east hills area and surrounding areas) has been inundated with sec 8 and has become a crime ridden area, so some one please tell me what is so great about sec 8?

Click on any of the colored areas on the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...HwcXw&hl=en_US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,232,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Okay then. How would you deal with this issue? What solutions do you have in mind?
Why do poor people need to live in a rich residential neighbor? Why not instead, put those sorts of Section 8 funds into improving the ghetto neighborhoods they are currently living in?

IMO putting a poor family in a rich neighborhood in an expensive house is going to cause the poor people to feel more like outsiders and frustrated that they can't dress and have the fancy cars that their neighbors have. Also, most rich people hire landscapers to maintain their lawns and gardens.

And people want to live around their family and friends, so plopping them in the middle of a rich neighborhood is isolating them.

Again, use government money to improve the bad neighborhoods. And while doing it, teach the poor people construction skills, since it is predicted that there will be a big shortage of construction workers in the future. So it would be a win-win situation.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I worked for many years for housing authorities as a consultant and as an employee.

FYI, Housing Choice Voucher residents (HCV is now what they call Section 8) has been in suburban communities for 20+ years now. It is not a new thing that Obama started.

On the OP, it improves outcomes by de-concentrating poverty and crime. There have been studies done over the decades that have shown that those children especially who are HCV residents benefit from a better education and better social outcomes by not growing up in poverty stricken, urban communities.

De-concentrating poverty in this way has also caused crime to decrease in practically every major urban area since the mid to late 1990s.

It does work.
And increased in the areas the were placed.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Why does anyone want to live in good neighborhoods? Services, safety, schools.... You think poor people don't want the same things?
You can't make silk purse out of a sows ear! Most of these people are low class with bad behavior and crime, I want no part of it.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why is there section 8 housing to begin with? No one should be forced to provide housing for someone else.
As I have said a million times, what was started with good intentions as a bridge to a better life, has become a way of life these people feel they are entitled to.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
What kind of behavior do you think your kids are learning from you? Based on your posts, your kids are learning to look down their noses at people that have a different socioeconomic status and skin color. Young children will most likely grow out of throwing rocks, your children will most likely turn out to be elitist, racist scumbags their entire lives.

BTW, respect is earned and should be mutual. You have done nothing to earn the respect of these kids and you clearly have zero respect for them. I would say that this is a case of reaping what you sow.
What? Really, his kids did nothing to deserve having rocks thrown at them and kids should be taught to be respectful of adults and other peoples property from the get go. Why should he and his kids have to tolerate having rocks thrown at them, it is a criminal act and should be dealt with as such, not to mention out right dangerous! Outgrow throwing rocks? Really? I never threw rocks at anyone, we were taught at home that doing such was dangerous. It all starts at home and evidently the parents of these children don't give a damned or they would have addressed it by punishing their children.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
LMAO, I can't believe you had the audacity to actually post this based on what you have been saying about these children and their parents. Parents that by your own admission you have never even met.

BTW, just in case you forgot - this is what you said about the parents that you don't know and have never met.

"I am sure speaking to the parent (if one could be found) would do no good as obviously they are learning this behavior from somewhere..."
Sir, your thought process is convoluted.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:37 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,631,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
And increased in the areas the were placed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You can't make silk purse out of a sows ear! Most of these people are low class with bad behavior and crime, I want no part of it.
Ok resident scared puppy...I'm quite sure you've never associated with anyone outside your bubble. Perhaps you'd learn that most people are good people (no matter what class) if you ventured out. You really are sounding like a pathetic person with no coping skills the more you post.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,903,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Ok resident scared puppy...I'm quite sure you've never associated with anyone outside your bubble. Perhaps you'd learn that most people are good people (no matter what class) if you ventured out. You really are sounding like a pathetic person with no coping skills the more you post.
Hmmm Some people are good people. Most? Not sure about that.
There is a reason that crime is so high in low income housing developments. It isn't a coincidence.
Putting section 8 housing in any area lowers the property values of surrounding homes. Why? Because of the fact that crime seems to follow many who take advantage of the program.
Call me a snob, but I wouldn't want a trailer park in my back yard any more than I would want a low income high-rise there. People move to the country for a reason.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,631,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Hmmm Some people are good people. Most? Not sure about that.
There is a reason that crime is so high in low income housing developments. It isn't a coincidence.
Putting section 8 housing in any area lowers the property values of surrounding homes. Why? Because of the fact that crime seems to follow many who take advantage of the program.
Call me a snob, but I wouldn't want a trailer park in my back yard any more than I would want a low income high-rise there. People move to the country for a reason.
What are the numbers and what are the crimes? Plus our prisons are full of people who shouldn't be there. Poor people don't get the same break that middle class and rich people get when they are accused of a victimless crime or a violent crime. As for trailer parks....we have a few in my middle-upper middle class town. I never hear of any problems there and I never hear any neighbors in the area complaining. Just like you choose the country, there are actually people who choose the city. Thinking you are safer and better for it is silly. The most horrific crimes that happened in CT in the last decade happened in upper class communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies