Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I recently attended a CE class whereby the instructor made the case for why a credit check should not matter given the applicant is not paying most of the rent. It was food for thought.

The same instructor also mentioned that it's rare for a voucher holder to be evicted for failure to pay rent for the obvious reason that government is picking up the tab.

( I do not have any first hand experience with renting as there are few rental units available in my market. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree that credit checking is not always a great tool in reviewing applicants, but I do think it is useful.

Too often today though credit issues occur from a loss of employment only, not because the person is just horrible with money. Most families now live paycheck to paycheck and if a loss of income occurs, their credit will automatically suffer.

On voucher holders and evictions, it is true it is rare for an HCV tenant to be evicted for non-payment. This is primarily due to the fact that HCV tenants usually pay their rent. All tenants are required to pay 30% of the rent of their unit. The government pays the other 70%.

If the landlord doesn't get the full amount (100%) the tenant can get evicted. It does happen, but is very rare. FWIW, the few times I saw it occur it was due to job loss as mentioned above. However, due to being HCV program participants, tenants can apply for temporary hardships if they lose a job whereas the government will pay their entire rental amount for a short period of time (usually 3 months or less). They have to let the authority know about their situation and apply for this additional assistance. The few I know who did get evicted due to non-payment, for some reason just didn't go to apply. I personally felt that one of them didn't due to some pretty severe mental illness. I always wonder what happened to that person afterwards.

In regards to public housing, you'd be surprised how many people are evicted for non-payment. I remember when I first started working in the field, I was shocked that people were evicted fro not paying rent when it was $20-$25 a month in public housing. We evicted a lot of public housing residents, much moreso than HCV. FWIW, they also could apply for temporary hardships mentioned above. I just thought it outrageous that someone would be kicked out for $75! Unfortunately, I even personally know people who were kicked out of public housing for not paying $75-$150 for 3 months of rent.
Regarding the bolded. Having worked as a credit analyst for nearly 20 years (Consumer and commericial/small business), I agree that credit should not be the only consideration, as it does not always tell the whole story, and that diligent landlords should always have a screening process in place. Rental history, personal references, employment history, tax returns, or other proof of income are very helpful information for screening prospective tenants, and no matter what anyone here says to the contrary, the government is not forcing landlords to forego any of these processes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:32 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
This is how simple minded Obama is. He just isn't up to dealing with complex issues. So his solution is to simply move poor people to where the rich people live. Every day I'm more shocked at just how child like his mind is.

The logic of this would be like me painting a minivan race yellow, putting Valvoline stickers on it and expecting it to compete in the Indy 500.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:09 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is how simple minded Obama is. He just isn't up to dealing with complex issues. So his solution is to simply move poor people to where the rich people live. Every day I'm more shocked at just how child like his mind is.

The logic of this would be like me painting a minivan race yellow, putting Valvoline stickers on it and expecting it to compete in the Indy 500.
Okay then. How would you deal with this issue? What solutions do you have in mind?

Old 06-09-2016, 02:58 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Okay then. How would you deal with this issue? What solutions do you have in mind?
Change will not happen overnight like he thinks it will. The absolute first thing we have to do is get the children out of bad households with no positive mentors.

Instead of setting each individual single mother up with a sec 8 apt and a free hand to do whatever she wants with OUR money, maybe we should build a series of group homes with an educated supervisor to watch over the welfare of the children and the behavior of the parents.

What we are doing is not working. Those children need a positive environment from the day they are born. Their self esteem needs to be guarded and protected like Fort Knox. Every day perfect little children are absolutely ruined in this country because of irresponsibility and an uncaring welfare system.

If we are going to spend the money on welfare, let's do it right so the cycle is broken.

And I don't mean having someone sit around and teach them about how the terrible white man is responsible for every damn problem in their life. I'm talking about someone teaching them from the time they are 2 years old that they are a valued part of this society and will have big responsibilities some day, just like I did with my kids.

These young mothers obviously need help. Look at the streets and prisons. Do you need more proof?

Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
On the bold, that also is not true. Developers are never "required" to have any set asides.
-------------------------
Look, you don't live where I do. I know that developers are required to have 10% of their housing be ADUs where I live. How do I know? I was involved in trying to stop a townhouse development from being built---and no the reasons had nothing to do with ADUs. In fact, I learned of the rule when I was talking to people in the know.

I also know that developers have to set aside land for any new schools that will be needed, for any traffic lights that will be needed or road improvements. Different parts of the country require different things of developers.

Don't pretend that you know exactly just how things are run in ever part of the country, when, in fact, you don't know. Now I'm done in this thread.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:39 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Change will not happen overnight like he thinks it will. The absolute first thing we have to do is get the children out of bad households with no positive mentors.

Instead of setting each individual single mother up with a sec 8 apt and a free hand to do whatever she wants with OUR money, maybe we should build a series of group homes with an educated supervisor to watch over the welfare of the children and the behavior of the parents.

What we are doing is not working. Those children need a positive environment from the day they are born. Their self esteem needs to be guarded and protected like Fort Knox. Every day perfect little children are absolutely ruined in this country because of irresponsibility and an uncaring welfare system.

If we are going to spend the money on welfare, let's do it right so the cycle is broken.

And I don't mean having someone sit around and teach them about how the terrible white man is responsible for every damn problem in their life. I'm talking about someone teaching them from the time they are 2 years old that they are a valued part of this society and will have big responsibilities some day, just like I did with my kids.

These young mothers obviously need help. Look at the streets and prisons. Do you need more proof?
And how do we get the child production to stop? It's interesting how spread legs and wandering penises are simply accepted as a metaphysical given. People choose inappropriate and irresponsible reproduction and the rest of us are trying to figure out how to steal money from people who earn it to "help the children". How about we stop giving away free money that encourages legs to spread and penises to wander?

I can pretty much guarantee that if the result of making the CHOICE to reproduce irresponsibly resulted in true misery and starvation and begging family for help and utter discomfort and shame, the behavior would stop. Shame and misery are fantastic motivation. As long as we pay people to reproduce, they will keep doing it, and we will keep having to "save" unsaveable children. And the welfare cycle will continue, as it must, because reality is reality, and free government money redistributed to irresponsible people will NEVER DO ANY GOOD. It can't, it hasn't, it doesn't, it won't. Does anyone ever learn anything?

There is no saving children born to single broke teenagers and twenty-somethings. It cannot be done. No amount of stolen redistributed money can ever solve this. The solution is to return single parenthood to what it correctly used to be: shameful, disgusting, abusive, destructive, improper, immoral, wrong.

And section 8 is not a solution to any of this. It is a contributor, a co-conspirator, an aider, an abettor, an assist.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
On the bold, that also is not true. Developers are never "required" to have any set asides.
-------------------------
Look, you don't live where I do. I know that developers are required to have 10% of their housing be ADUs where I live. How do I know? I was involved in trying to stop a townhouse development from being built---and no the reasons had nothing to do with ADUs. In fact, I learned of the rule when I was talking to people in the know.

I also know that developers have to set aside land for any new schools that will be needed, for any traffic lights that will be needed or road improvements. Different parts of the country require different things of developers.

Don't pretend that you know exactly just how things are run in ever part of the country, when, in fact, you don't know. Now I'm done in this thread.
It doesn't matter where you live. No housing development is "required" to have set asides unless they are participating in a government sponsored housing program.

Schools, traffic lights, and roads are all a part of government.

Housing is not always a part of government. If a developer doesn't want tax credits associated with their development they do not have to apply for them and they do not have to have set asides.

As stated, housing is governed by a federal agency - HUD, and is bound by federal rules. Everyone follows the same rules across the country.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:09 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Obama's newest social project is to expand Section 8 out to the suburbs and exurbs with the idea being that doing so will improve the outcomes of the program participants. What is not clear to me is how this improvement will supposedly happen. Is success and achievement something that is in the water? Or perhaps success is similar to a communicable disease in that it can be transmitted through the air or bodily fluids? Maybe we will soon be forced to have sex with Section 8 recipients so that the successful genes can be injected into the Section 8 gene pool.

We all know that this program is Obama's way of punishing white flight. I just think it is amusing how there is absolutely no logical explanation as to how this would improve anything. Apparently being around white people will improve through osmosis or magic.
It doesn't improve outcomes for anyone and ruins the area and property value in which it is placed. It is another failed attempt by the government at forced integration and a violation of the 1st amendment (freedom of association) as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:14 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
It doesn't improve outcomes for anyone and ruins the area and property value in which it is placed. It is another failed attempt by the government at forced integration and a violation of the 1st amendment (freedom of association) as far as I am concerned.
It's amazing how we've obliterated freedom of association, and it's concomitant: freedom of disassociation, which we now smear with the label discrimination.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:25 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,889 times
Quote:
Fences and gates will help.

I believe the wave of the future is going to be enclosed communities paid for by the residents. All privately owned so they can control who comes and goes.

This is what our government is forcing us to do.
No. This is something that paranoid people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies