Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 01:43 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times

Advertisements

This will be a boom for Catholic Schools in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This will be a boom for Catholic Schools in the suburbs.
For those who can afford the tuition. But that doesn't solve the other problems.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:54 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,751,514 times
They won't come out to the suburbs, too many wealthy people are snitching on each other all the time.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:00 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
We have both Section 8 and desegregation by busing here in SD but since it's such an expensive place to live we don't see it quite like many Cities. What I did notice was that our local schools really took a hit with busing. We are forced to play the game, sending our kids to schools out of the area, home school or private. I'd be insane to send my kids to the school down the street and the average home is going for 650K. The main difference is I make too much for free busing so it's all out of pocket.

Schools Supposed to Integrate Even Without Buses - Voice of San Diego

Old 06-08-2016, 02:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There are exceptions to everything, and while many people living in Section 8 housing are quiet and just blend into the neighborhood, in many more cases that's not what happens.

This isn't a racial issue, it's an economic one. Read this article for a better understanding about why people do not want Section 8 housing where they live. I work with a few people who left poorer, crime-ridden neighborhoods, only to find their new neighborhoods are going the same route due to section 8 housing.

In theory, it's a great idea. Sprinkle the impoverished throughout nicer communities so they can take advantage of better schools, no crime, and have an opportunity to lift themselves up out of poverty. Once executed, the result is an increase in problems and a decrease in the value of the homes in the new neighborhood. Very unfair to those who simply wanted to provide a safe, quiet place for their families and found a way to do so.
FYI, that article is nearly 20 years old so just wanted to point out that it flies in the face of this program being a product of the Obama administration as was alluded to earlier in the thread.

Also, the article is more of a opinion piece without cited information.

As stated earlier in the thread, there are studies and reports done all the time about Section 8 and its effect on the communities of which residents live. There are always both positives and negatives reported and discussed, however the positives of HCV are much greater than those of public housing, which HCV is on a trend to replace.

Also as stated earlier in the thread, HCV resident predominantly still live and will continue to live in inner cities, not the suburbs.

The article you posted mentions specifically blue collar neighborhoods and middle class suburbs. The new guidelines and initiatives in 2016 forward are to expand the reach of HCV to wealthier neighborhoods so middle Americans and blue collar neighborhoods will have less negative impacts of voucher holding residents in their midst.

HCV does provide benefits but it is not a full proof program and it has been a huge subject of study and reports since its inception. As I also stated earlier in the thread, and within this post, a majority of HCV residents do NOT move to the suburbs so even though the few who do de-concentrate poverty in a sense, the vast majority who don't actually don't see any huge benefits in that regard. This is primarily due to the fact that HCV residents can choose where they want to live and more often than not they choose to live in impoverished areas.

This is why it is always both interesting and funny to me (and odd) that so many express concern about the suburbs. HCV/Section 8 residents by and large are not moving to the suburbs. They stay in the inner city.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:47 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If you don't like the link I posted, there are others out there that say the same thing.

Once an illegal alien births an anchor baby, due to said baby, the family is eligible for all sorts of welfare programs, including Section 8.

So...if landlords are allowed to do credit checks on potential [] tenants, then explain how so many [] tenants end up trashing their places and/or bring crime to a neighborhood?

I modified your quote because, as has already been said, bad tenants are everywhere, not just section 8 recipients.

But, to answer your question: sometimes, landlords are blindsided by an applicant who appears like they will be a good tenant on paper. Other times, the slumlord doesn't care what the tenant does, as long as the slumlord gets their check each month.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Obama's newest social project is to expand Section 8 out to the suburbs and exurbs with the idea being that doing so will improve the outcomes of the program participants. What is not clear to me is how this improvement will supposedly happen. Is success and achievement something that is in the water? Or perhaps success is similar to a communicable disease in that it can be transmitted through the air or bodily fluids? Maybe we will soon be forced to have sex with Section 8 recipients so that the successful genes can be injected into the Section 8 gene pool.

We all know that this program is Obama's way of punishing white flight. I just think it is amusing how there is absolutely no logical explanation as to how this would improve anything. Apparently being around white people will improve through osmosis or magic.
It doesn't. It's all part of the elites program of cultural, economic and racial genocide. I'll post extensively concerning the details later when I have time.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:55 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Other times, the slumlord doesn't care what the tenant does, as long as the slumlord gets their check each month.
What you build, they will break.
Have you ever been a landlord ? Try spending thousands of dollars on these
homes where Section 8 crowd lives. They ruin the houses. Most of them
have disobedient children, partying boyfriends, no care for electrical or plumbing,
no regard for the proper operation of a household.

You build, they break... it gets to the point where they are just so darn
difficult to evict, you just give up and let them have the run of the joint.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, that article is nearly 20 years old so just wanted to point out that it flies in the face of this program being a product of the Obama administration as was alluded to earlier in the thread.

Also, the article is more of a opinion piece without cited information.

As stated earlier in the thread, there are studies and reports done all the time about Section 8 and its effect on the communities of which residents live. There are always both positives and negatives reported and discussed, however the positives of HCV are much greater than those of public housing, which HCV is on a trend to replace.

Also as stated earlier in the thread, HCV resident predominantly still live and will continue to live in inner cities, not the suburbs.

The article you posted mentions specifically blue collar neighborhoods and middle class suburbs. The new guidelines and initiatives in 2016 forward are to expand the reach of HCV to wealthier neighborhoods so middle Americans and blue collar neighborhoods will have less negative impacts of voucher holding residents in their midst.

HCV does provide benefits but it is not a full proof program and it has been a huge subject of study and reports since its inception. As I also stated earlier in the thread, and within this post, a majority of HCV residents do NOT move to the suburbs so even though the few who do de-concentrate poverty in a sense, the vast majority who don't actually don't see any huge benefits in that regard. This is primarily due to the fact that HCV residents can choose where they want to live and more often than not they choose to live in impoverished areas.

This is why it is always both interesting and funny to me (and odd) that so many express concern about the suburbs. HCV/Section 8 residents by and large are not moving to the suburbs. They stay in the inner city.

It's actually gotten worse in the past 20 years in case you haven't noticed. The point made was that this is not a racial issue it's an economic one - although the article I linked to calls it a class issue.

It doesn't take much searching to find current articles indicating there are major problems with section 8 housing, and it doesn't take a large number of section 8 housing to destroy a community.

Quote:
Oh, I see. Make it a problem in upper class areas so the middle class and blue collar areas won't have a problem. That solves everything.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:24 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
What you build, they will break.
Have you ever been a landlord ? Try spending thousands of dollars on these
homes where Section 8 crowd lives. They ruin the houses. Most of them
have disobedient children, partying boyfriends, no care for electrical or plumbing,
no regard for the proper operation of a household.

You build, they break... it gets to the point where they are just so darn
difficult to evict, you just give up and let them have the run of the joint.
Best part is after they break things up they call Sec 8 and complain. An inspector comes out and YOU have to fix what they messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies